Author Topic: smokey 200 problem  (Read 2187 times)

ajf

• Trade Count: (0)
smokey 200 problem
« on: July 18, 2016, 09:59:41 AM »
Hi all this is kind of a 2 question post. I'm having excessive an smoke problem on my 200.  First the oil pump problem:
    Ive had the engine apart to inspect it after I purchased it (replaced 1 piston ring), and everything looks fine.  I also replaced the oil injector pump, the original had stripped banjos.  It was a pain to prime, the left cylinder tube finally did, but the right cylinder will not fill the tube with oil.  I can see the "slug" of oil come out of the pump and kind of get sucked into the right cylinder before the oil pump fills the line (with the engine running).  The ball check valves are all clean and working, pump cable is adjusted so with wide open throttle I  have 1/8" space between the stops, I also replaced the oil lines.  I'm also using 2 cycle oil for injected motors.
    Now for the smoke question.  While the engine is idling the left side exhaust smoke is minimal (ok) but the right cyl has a little more oil smoke.  However when I rev the motor, both cylinders smoke like a fogger.  I also own a Kawasaki h2, so I am used to 2 cycle injector smoke, but holy moly this thing smokes.  I rechecked the top end (thinking I somehow messed up when I installed the new ring), rings and bores are fine on both cylinders.  The engine revs and sounds fine though, and compression on kicking feels good.  It starts up 1-2 kicks.  I think is was burning some gearbox oil on the right cylinder when I started, but now it smells like only 2 cycle oil.
    I have chrome bores on the cylinders, I replaced 1 ring (cast not chrome) but I thought the ring I replaced may have been chrome.  Now im wondering if the P.O. installed chrome rings in a chrome bore?
    Any insight on priming the oil line and where all the smoke is coming from would be appreciated.  Thanks   Tony

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
Re: smokey 200 problem
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 07:08:21 PM »
This may be something to check on:  it's possible the the oil pump is mis-timed internally.  There is a thread on here with a very good explanation on assembling the oil pumps and how to set the internal timing, or the service manual explains it.  Also check service letter BSG0029 available from this site for info on the changes in the check valve/oil pump during production, there may be some mis-match.

If someone put chrome rings in a chrome bore, from what I've heard, they'll only run a few seconds before the rings seize to the bore.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 10:09:14 PM »
http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?topic=3640.msg19666#msg19666
Here's the post Karl mentioned from our departed friend Graham Weeks.
...bert

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 07:23:16 AM »
Hi Tony,
              The 'slug' of oil you mention suggests the pump is doing its job. Before having another look at the pump,  try priming the right side outlet tube from an oil can before refitting  and see what happens. If the oil is still rapidly sucked into the engine, my money would be on the right side check valve being at fault.
      With regard to the smoke you don't tell us how long you have run the engine. Could be the engine and pipes are loaded up with oil which will burn off in due course. If it continues to smoke replace the crankseals in the disc vale covers.

Just my pennyworth, Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

ajf

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 09:19:57 AM »
Thank you for the info and link.
      I did prime the line with an oil can at first.  after running for a minute or 2, it sucked out the line again.  I also took a look this morning, and the line is full of oil- so you could be right about the check valve or banjo union.  I have run the engine for about 30 mins, the pipes were loaded with oil.  I torched most of it off before running, however they still look pretty caked, I am going to hit them again.  I used Maxima super M injector oil (its dark blue so I can see it), but I think it smokes more than the other brands I have used. I will also change out the oil for another. 
     I had read about the timing, but didn't quite understand it at first. I thought it had to do with the pump action in relation to the disc valves.  Now I get it. Will check!
     I would like to see if I can post a vid this weekend to give you an idea of what I see.  It looks like a fun little bike- I cant wait to give it a run.  I'm waiting for a tank and fairing from airtech to finish it up.  Thank you again, Tony

Gallery

Views:3119
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:4267
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:4574
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:4606
Comments (0)