Author Topic: GTR clutch adjustment?  (Read 9376 times)

ziggy stardust

• Trade Count: (0)
GTR clutch adjustment?
« on: May 18, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »
Finally we have some good weather here in South Wales and this has given me the chance to really road test the GTR. The engine is sweet and starts really easily hot or cold but the clutch is a little temperamental.

Earlier in the year I'd had the bike out on the estate but never got out of second gear but now with the good weather I'm testing for about 5 miles per test but have clutch problems. When stationary the bike will select first and then back to neutral sometimes easy other times needs some persuasion, on the road it changes up nicely if ridden carfully with a bit of a snatch at times but if I rev it high it struggles to change to 4th gear over 4k revs, once below about 4k it changes to 4th, can be the same for other higher gears too, then when I stop I just can't select neutral, turn off the engine and it selects no problem.

I've tried so many configurations of adjustment but no joy, I'm running with the aluminium spacer closest to the engine followed by 7 new friction plates and 6 inner plates also new clutch springs.

Any advise would be appreciated in setting up the clutch or tell me what you have in your clutch basket that works for you. Thanks.

Z

Offline fiction

• Full Bridgestone Member
Re: GTR clutch adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:48:56 AM »
Just had a look at my clutch,and I've got the thick plate next to last plate fitted,I had problems with my clutch when I tried to put the thick plate on first

Offline fiction

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:15:47 AM »
Just took the plates out to double check ,i have steel plate ,then friction ,the last (7th) steel plate is the thick alloy one .then the last fibre plate(7th) .  don't know if its correct but it works

ziggy stardust

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 11:39:39 AM »
Thanks for that fiction, sounds odd but I'll try it tomorrow as it works for you.

Come on other GTR/O owners how is your clutch set up?

Z

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 03:15:50 PM »
g day lee
mine is the same set up as yours and works fine though my plates are second hand (thanks again for the donation guys) i did buy a new push rod as the one i had was slightly bent  just a thought .

Offline disc_valve

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 06:03:37 AM »
Hi, Lee,

Your stack order fior the plates sounds a bit odd. The thick alloy outer plate goes in first, followed by a fibre plate, then alternate steel and fibre until you run out of plates (the last to go in should also be a fibre one). I think that if you put a steel plate next to the thick alloy, the plate may start to pick up - I've certainly seen a couple of alloy plates with bad surface scoring. Otherwise, it's the usual routine of checking the pushrod and the cable adjustment.

The screw adjustment in the engine side case should be set with the cable fully slackened. Screw the adjuster in until you feel it just touch the pushrod, then back it iout half a turn. Use the cable qdjusters then to set free play at the lever. Normally the 350 clutch is quite sweet, if a little sharp in take-up.It certainly sounds like you have clutch drag from somewhere. I assume you've checked the slots in the clutch drum and clutch centre are smooth, and the plates aren't hanging up there and failing to give full lift.

Hope that helps,

Graham   

ziggy stardust

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 09:50:40 AM »
I've tried your set up fiction using my new friction plates and it works surprisingly although not perfect but I've not had chance to road test it properly and may not get that chance now as I go on holiday this Saturday for a couple of weeks.

Hi coxy the push rod is in good condition and straight, the smaller diameter to one end I've pushed in first and yes the little solid cylinder piece on the end is there.

Hi Graham as above friction's set up works but not correctly but I'd rather it be set as standard and I have tried the positioning of the plates as you suggested as it was how it explains in the manual, all is free within the clutch drum as I cleaned up everything for that purpose but I do feel clutch drag at times when trying to get the adjustment right.

To get it to work as best I can I end up with no free play at the clutch lever and a very stiff clutch. I'll have the plates out again and double check the clutch drum although the plates do go in and come out freely.

Thanks for you input fiction, coxy and disc-valve, no body Stateside ever looked inside their clutch?

Z

Offline fiction

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »
Hi z don't think it matters where the thick plate is as it replaces a steel plate,another point is to make sure you line the pressure plate with the hole to the dot.

ziggy stardust

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 12:45:14 PM »
Hi fiction, yes the dot to hole is aligned. The cable is tight though when it works and I fear of breaking it, the push rod, have you inserted the smaller diameter first? I assumed the smaller diameter went to the clutch side.

Z

Offline fiction

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 01:21:40 PM »
Don't know about the pushrod I'm working away from home so can't look, only other thing I can think of is the plastic worm sometimes goes stiff or try your old clutch springs

ziggy stardust

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 09:33:30 AM »
Sure my worm is aluminium but it's free and well lubed, that's a good idea to try my old clutch springs, hope I've not thrown them away.

Z

Offline disc_valve

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 06:26:46 AM »
Hi again, Lee

I had a thought yesterday (yes, I do have them occasionally!). There should be a small steel ball in the clutch lifter thread. It sits in between the pushrod and the end of the adjuster screw. It could drop out and not be noticed, and that may cause problems in getting correct adjustment and correct positioning of the lifter threqd arm - it should be around 90 degrees to the cable when the clutch is operated.

Just an idea.

Graham 

ziggy stardust

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 08:07:51 AM »
Thanks Graham, the steel ball is there and the lifter angle is correct.

I'm away to Formentera on Saturday for a couple of weeks so I'll give it a little more thought while I'm chilling out with a cold beer then have another go when I return refreshed. 8)

I'll still be watching this thread for any ideas, I'm beginning to think the clutch set up is top secret. ;)

Z
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:13:08 AM by ziggy stardust »

Offline Richard Clark BS parts

• Administrator
    • Bridgestone Motorcycle Discussion Board
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 08:44:04 AM »
Any other ideas for Lee?

Richard Clark

Questions? or need Bridgestone parts? call:

Richard Clark
812-944-1643  8am-6pm EST Weekdays
Richard  Clark, Owner and provider of this site
BRIDGESTONE MOTORCYCLE PARTS
New Albany IN

BS Shopping Cart- With just a few of my BS parts

https://6x6parts.com/bridgestone_motorcycle_parts/

Thanks
Richard Clark

bsparts@aye.net

Bikenstein

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 12:09:26 PM »
 A special plate was supplied by the factory and installed on all models after 21VO4000 to help eliminate clutch noise. It also makes the clutch smoother and ain't affected by temperature. If you have one, it goes on first with the recessed surface facin the clutch hub. Then a friction plate, metal plate etc. until you have 7 fiber and 6 metal plates installed. On models before 21SO1022  the thicker outer plate was left off. On models after 21SO1022 one inner plate was left off. Some of these were installed by the factory before 21VO4000 when the new plate was offered for replacement for free along with a new carb cover grommet. I wonder if Richard has any of these.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:29:34 PM by Bikenstein »

ziggy stardust

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 02:02:21 PM »
Thanks Bikenstein, I've read up on this and to honest find it a bit confusing as I think the inner parts of my clutch may have been mixed about a bit in the early years regarding my frame number. Any way I've had a few PMs regarding the clutch internals and what goes in first then what follows and I seem to have that right but have also tried another off standard way as suggested and that got it working as well but not quite right.

I'll play about with it some more and try using the original pressure springs but it will have to wait as I sent the kick starter away for re chroming again as I marked it when kicking it up, it hits the footrest bolt head and marks the chrome so it needs to be fitted in a slightly different position.

Z

ziggy stardust

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 11:08:33 AM »
Update, everything back to standard within the hub, I've fitted a NOS pressure plate and replaced the NOS clutch springs for the original ones which are 1mm less on height than the NOS ones.

Well it seems to work now, rattling plates with a bit of a snatch on take off and I can select neutral with the engine running. Maybe it was the clutch springs that were too strong and never quite releasing the plates creating drag?

Z  
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:01:10 AM by ziggy stardust »

Colin

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »
Stupid question Z but you have replaced the clutch cable and seriously oiled it, , I can't believe 1mm longer clutch springs could give so much trouble and I'd bet you think the same, I hope this is not an issue I have when I eventually rebuild the motor  :-\
Colin.

ziggy stardust

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 07:12:47 AM »
Yes the cable is clean and well oiled, did it a couple of weeks ago. I don't think NOS ones are available, correct me if I'm wrong RC.

It is hard to believe the 1mm shorter springs X 6 could have a positive effect but it's definately better and easier on the lever as well, by that I mean not as hard to work the clutch lever. Could be that the 1mm was just enough to stop clutch drag? :-\

You could be waiting 6 months for your clutch plates set from RC and probably forgot about this post by then. :)

Z
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:15:33 AM by ziggy stardust »

Gallery

Views:4075
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:5256
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:5528
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson