Author Topic: Phantom Canyon Results A Loooong journey on a 350 GTR !  (Read 3432 times)

Puchman66

• Trade Count: (0)
Phantom Canyon Results A Loooong journey on a 350 GTR !
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:38:56 PM »
Well..... I made it.

I clocked 613 miles in two days when it was all through and it was some of the best (and hardest) riding I have ever done.  We started in Ft Collins, Colorado and went west into the mountains with 43 vintage motorcycle riders.  A few people cheated and had modern bikes but overall it was mostly vintage.  Among others, we rode with an old Harley, two Indians, a Velocette, a raft of classic Triumphs, some BSAs, two Vincents, and you guessed it..... one Bridgestone.  I had the only two-stroke and the smallest engine by a wide margin.

We rode South and West into the Rockies on awesome winding mountain roads and picked up a few of our other vintage buddies from Southern Colorado before heading North towards Wyoming.  One of the best things about riding in the mountains is that it is considerably cooler and you can ride comfortably in the Summer.  There was quite a bit of snow in the higher elevations but all the roads were clear. 

When we went through the Plains is where I was struggled.  I chose to ride with my friends (with mid-70s BMWs) rather than a more speed appropriate group.  the Beamers with thier weight and 900-1000cc engines easily powered through the significant headwinds and up the gentle grades.  Averaging around 80 mph, I routinely fell behind when we hit a rise in the road but I always managed to catch up when it flattened out. 

Most people consider me a guy who takes care of his stuff but I'm embarassed to say I abused my bike for two hard days.  The mountains were easy but I really wrang it out on the long straight stretches.  There were a hell of a lot of guys who were impressed that I kept up.  One guy in our group had a beautiful 68 Triumph 650cc.  He pulled ahead on the gentle up-grades but I could take him pretty easily on a flat stretch.  I generally topped out around 85 mph.  Keep in mind we're running at 7000-12000 feet and everyone's performance suffers a lot!

Day 2 was  shorter and we went through the Snow Range in Wyoming where they had cut through about 10 feet of snow to clear the roads and the scenery was some of the best in the whole United States.  Just Stunning.  Especially in Summer!  We wound our way back through one of the state parks back to Ft Collins for a short after-ride party.  When I finally calculated mileage I seemed to get around 45-50 mpg.  Does seem right to you guys?

I'll post photos tonight.   I also want to extend an invitation to any Bridgestone owners if you want to attent this event you can stay at my place and we can tow up to Ft Collins.  Might save a few bucks.  It's always better on a BS.  Also, at the end of summer several guys with other small cc bikes may make a similar run.  Let me know if you are interested.

Todd W

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Phantom Canyon Results A Loooong journey on a 350 GTR !
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 10:30:06 PM »
Wow, what a great report. My big question is: how was that seat? I get monkey butt sometimes and the GTR seat just doesn't look all that comfortable for a long ride. (This comes from a guy that has maybe put 10 miles at a time on his GTR).

How did the bike do? Any problems after the ride? Did the clutch hold up? Did the brakes do OK in the mountains? I'm just curious  ;D

Sometimes it is kind of funny how things work out. A couple of years ago we rode back from Baxter's Rally up in Iowa (back home to Kansas City) and I was on my gi-normous 800 pound Triumph Rocket 3 and had to stop for gas. At the gas station there were 4 KC guys on Ducati's who were going back to KC also. We were still on 71 Hwy which is very curvy until you get to St. Joe and I asked the Ducati guys if I could tag along. I knew two of them so they gave me some $hit about not being able to hang with them but if I wanted to try, why not. The Rocket handles a little better than they thought because I was crawling up their butts until we hit I29 at which point I left them for dead. I think I pi$$ed them off. Heck, I had the cruise on part of the time.  ;D

I just can't imagine doing 600 miles on a GTR though, that thing must have the heart and soul of a Lion!
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

Puchman66

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:45:46 PM »
Thanks Tom,
Yeah- the ride was a BLAST!!!! It was even more rewarding because I had a considerable size disadvantage and I managed to hang tough.  Before we left Saturday morning one of my BMW buddies said "How far do you think you'll get before you break down?" It pi$$ed me off and kind of hurt my feelings but later in the ride he said "That thing is incredible!.  I was going 80 and I looked in my rear view mirror and you were GAINING on me!"  I felt vindicated after that.  At least 5 other people said "You're on the Bridgestone?!!- Man you're brave"

The seat- Well..... Hmmmm.  I have determined that I have about a 75 mile a$$.  It wasn't horrible but I was sure sore at the end of day two.  A few more stretch breaks thrown in would have helped a lot.

The bike handled great in the mountains even with a front end that needed a rebuild.  I pushed myself harder than I ever have and felt totally confident.  It was really rewarding.  The guys that I rode with were VERY seasoned riders and they never out-rode me in the mountains.  The brakes never gave me a lick of trouble either and this is on a yet unrestored 67 with 8K on the clock.

What surprised me most was that I never adjusted the carbs and the plugs always had a nice, clean, brown two-stroke burn to them.   We were at such a high altitude I thought I would be burning really rich.   I thought I would have to change the plugs after the first day but when I pulled them out they looked pretty good.  At the end of the second day the bike would surge a bit at a constant speed of about 45-50 but always had power when I needed it.

The clutch felt tight at the end of day two also and may simply need adjustment.  I'm not sure because I haven't had a chance to give it a good check-out yet.  Hopefully that's all it is.  I'll see if I can figure out how to post a couple of pics.  I didn't have a chance to take many but I got a few good ones.

TW

Puchman66

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:54:51 AM »
Riding Vintage in the Rockies.  It Doesn't get any better than this!

reed

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 08:14:47 AM »
Puchman66
Well done, and great pictures my Wife worked in Vail for a time its a fun place to be!
Thanks.
Steve.     

Offline Toystoretom

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 10:04:57 PM »
Awesome pictures! What a great story. Now I am inspired to get mine a little more road worthy. This is what its all about!!!

I'm surprised the Beemer people even talked to you, they can be.... ahem... a little snobbish  ;D

Puchman66

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 12:27:44 AM »
No argument about about the Beamer guys.  They can be very elitists.  I have a beautiful 1968 Chang Jiang (Chinese Sidecar Bike) with a BMW R90/6 motor.  I know that I would never be accepted by the BMW guys so I don't even bother.  I do have one very close friend though (who was on the Phantom Canyon Ride) with a BMW who is awesome.  He is also an electrical engineer and a good friend to have.  He helped me tune the BS for the ride.  I help him with paint and body work and he helps me do a lot of tuning.

I hope to start the restoration on my 350 soon.  I'm in the middle of a 1966 Moto Guzzi Lodola and my wife is on me to finish her Puch which go pre-empted by the Lodola.

Get that BS 350 fired up and go carve up the corners! 

Offline old smokey

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Phantom Canyon Results
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 08:36:27 PM »
A great story and fantastic photos!
On most any bike that distance would be an experience not forgotten.
My goal - get a condensor on order this weekend for my GTR.
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

Offline Toystoretom

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 09:58:11 PM »
I forgot to ask.... how much two stroke oil did you go through? Going 600 miles and having the throttle wide open most of the way must have sucked it down a little.

Gallery

Views:2903
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:4046
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:4339
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:4368