Author Topic: GTR Purchased  (Read 5101 times)

Offline bsforever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
GTR Purchased
« on: April 24, 2011, 08:00:58 PM »
I have my original 'introduce yourself' posting SUBJECT:One Step Closer. I had purchased a '71 GTR yesterday at a local auction (4-23-11) Had a tuff time loading it in the trailer with both wheels stuck!!! I got it home that late afternoon and after a few hours of wheel disassembly got the bike rolling. I have been reading alot of information on this site regarding stuck pistons, and therefore i will need to try to soak the pistons/cylinders before trying anything. I do not know if they are actually stuck, but the condition of the bike would more than likely say to me that i would have this problem. I am not actually able to check it out since the shift lever is not there and the kick starter is not there as well.  I am really excited to have a 'new beginning' of my brothers bike he had back then ( which i did not attain as of yet ). My actual work on the BS will probably be more in the winter time as i have some other projects to tend to , but it was a revelation to me when i did learn ( on this site) about the cylinders and that they are probably the most sensitive issue on these 350's.( finally got the pic up )                                                                                      
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:03:56 PM by bsforever »

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: GTR Purchased
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:35:12 PM »
Congrats on your purchase!

If the chain is still on it you might try pulling the spark plugs and using some vice grips or pliers, gently try to shift the bike into gear (shift down) without chewing up the shifter shaft. If you can do that you probably can push the bike, or "bump" it, and see if the pistons move.

I hope they do!

Tomo
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

Offline bsforever

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 08:02:09 PM »
yes, the chain is on. I tried today what you mentioned..... they are stuck. I read on a different post about one of the members using a product called 'seafoam' to use pored into the cylinder heads, but i am wondering if diesel fuel would maybe be a better option? i also read the post about the bolting a threaded plate acoss the top of the cylinder ( heads removed ) and having a threaded center using the head nuts to hold it down and using the apparatus as a press to push one of the pistons down , provided that they are not TDC.  Is there a 'level' of pistons being stuck?  Where some come freed up easier than others? The bike has a license plate tab for 1980, so i would assume the bike was sitting since then.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:45:22 AM by bsforever »

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:48:59 PM »
I posted the thread about the metal plate puller, and it works. You are right about some being more stuck than others, maybe yours won't be so bad.

I would most definitely try to soak it first, it sure can't hurt. I guess it's a preference on what to use, give diesel a shot. Besides Seafoam others have tried PB Blaster, WD 40, Marvel Mystery Oil and so on. If you are in no hurry let it soak for awhile. Sometimes there is a port exposed and the oil will just go down into that hole, and you may have to spray some oil in there several times just to keep it moist.

Some heat may help when you go to pull it,
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

Offline bsforever

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:02:01 PM »
Hey, thanks for that wonderful info concerning the 'pull plate' attachment on the cylinder....GREAT idea , if things do not free up with a good soaking in the cylinders, i will definately use that idea. I will have alot of time before i will actually get to any major work on the engine, so yes, i can use the soaking process for quite some time....hopefully that will work. I will update with info as things slowly progress for me. I will update my info after i purchase my brothers GTR that he had. I know my resto on the bike will be made much easier with a great group of  'Bridgestoners' like yourself  on this site...THANKS!!!

ColoStone

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 06:54:39 PM »
Hi BSforever you may want to read the thread " It be stuck " Toyestoretom  and a host of others here helped me through this very touchy process of trying not to hurt the cylinders, well good luck.
           Thanks
               Randy 

ztnoo

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 07:55:07 PM »
In case anyone is wondering.....I know I was......http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?topic=772.0
Is it so difficult to provide relevant web links about what is being discussed???
It might be very helpful to newbies.....or anyone else for that matter......
 ::)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:33:24 AM by ztnoo »

Offline bsforever

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 11:17:35 PM »
thanks for the info Randy. I have been spaying the PB Blaster in the cylinders daily, i know the left cylinder has the port exposed because the exhast pipe is moist, the right one is dry. In a week or two, i will try to attempt the task of moving the pistons hoping my soaking will not be in vain. :-\

reed

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:31:15 PM »
bsforever.
Take your time because cylinders and con rods and crankshafts are very hard to come by!
Good luck.
Reed.

Offline bsforever

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 12:33:42 AM »
Indeed....i will take as much time as it will take. Since 1976 when my brother had his, outside of a car/motorcycle show, i actually can say that i have not seen another one outside of those places.....so yes, i know it is a rare machine and will be treated with the utmost respect. I did some reading on the threads on this site as far as the stuck piston problem, and i will use a heat gun versus a open flame to heat things up to expand the cylinders if all else fails. it sure would have been nice if they made replaceable sleeves for the cylinders when they made them....that would make things too easy.....maybe they wanted people like us with the Bridgestones to have the problems like this???????  :D

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 08:19:05 AM »
it sure would have been nice if they made replaceable sleeves for the cylinders when they made them....that would make things too easy.....maybe they wanted people like us with the Bridgestones to have the problems like this???????  :D

Obviously, you've never seen anyone trying to get a rusty Kawasaki triple unstuck with its iron sleeves.  The Bridgestone's chrome surface doesn't hold the pistons nearly as well as those rusty iron cylinder walls do.   :)
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline bsforever

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 11:12:14 PM »
Thought i would update some info on the bike. As things turned out, the bike my brother had is not available, so i will be restoring the one i bought on the consignment auction. The bike that i was led to believe that was the GTR, was actually the BS 200 my brother had. Saw what remains of it, and saw the blue paint on the gas tank, and i said that was not the GTR 350....he denies ever buying it, but i know better, because one of the other guys that was my brothers friend back then even verified his remembrances of him buying it from my brother and described the GTR as expected ( so i know i am not failing in my memory :-) ) Anyway,i have the engine pulled out , heads and jugs off and ordered some new parts. Money is the biggest problem now, but if i can afford to buy parts needed, i buy them, but takes time for all the purchases to be made. I will try to post a pic, but the posted pic is before i took the engine out.   

Gallery

Views:4723
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:5910
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6198
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:6208
Comments (0)