Author Topic: Air filtration  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Gonzo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
Air filtration
« on: June 07, 2009, 04:52:46 AM »
I've been having a tinker with my GTR and I'm quite unimpressed with the stock air filter. Sure, it'll stop small rocks and furry roadkills from being sucked into the carbs, but it won't do much against fine particles, and they're the ones that do the most damage.

One of the previous owners has placed a piece of oiled air filter foam against the stock gauze element, but it's not actually held in place by anything except hope. Good intention, execution could be better.

Has anyone here upgraded the air filtration equipment on their 350? I've got a few ideas about what can be done to improve things, but if there's a quick and easy method out there, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm thinking (Yes, it's painful :P ) the easiest and probably safest option is to cut and bend a piece of thin sheet steel to match the shape of the stock element (including cutouts where the gauze is) and using some longer bolts and maybe a few spacers to sandwich the filter foam between the steel and the gauze. There would be a slightly higher risk of the stock element breaking up (which is, according to some literature I've read, a bit of a problem on the GTR), but as long as the oiled foam was cleaned fairly regularly, the additional obstruction to the airflow should be fairly minimal.

Thoughts?

-Steve.

rocketman

Re: Air filtration
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 11:59:34 AM »
   Gonzo,personally I'm not a real big fan of Gauze or wool. They're often made of aluminum in motorcycles,which reduces damage a little,but it's never good to have any foreign materials going through your intake system.  When the stuff starts deteriorating and coming apart,it's got to go. I'm just going to put this out there,because I don't know the exact make-up of the 350's air box,etc. I've had a lot of success over the years with all sorts of filter conversions by simply buying an automotive style paper air filter and cutting it to size. They come in all hight and thickness dimensions,even flat and square,and you simply hot glue them back together to create your own size. There's lots of aftermarket foam filters that you can do the same thing with and they're easier to glue. If I follow your idea,you intend to create a sort of sandwich of foam and gauze. Could you make a "cage" out of chicken wire or screen to support a foam sleave on the outside and then hold it in place with your custom end plate and longer bolts?  Mark.

rocketman

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 05:13:20 PM »
Yeh,Steve ,I just looked at the parts breakdown of the 350's air intake. I see what you're up against. without having it in my hand,I don't really know how much room you've got to work with. It looks like with some screen or support on the inside,a foam sandwich of sorts might be your best bet. I would be real careful not to do anything that even slightly reduces the airflow though,it looks to be just enough in the first place.  Hopefully some of the other members who have 350's can help you more. Mark.

Offline Bridgestone Man

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 05:48:04 PM »
I am running my 350 with the stock screen with the original flocking removed, I glued a dirt bike foam filter (along the edges of the screen) works better than the original crap, even provides a good seal between the air cleaner case and the screen.

Hope this helps

Sam Keys

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 08:13:17 AM »
I am running my 350 with the stock screen with the original flocking removed, I glued a dirt bike foam filter (along the edges of the screen) works better than the original crap, even provides a good seal between the air cleaner case and the screen.

Hope this helps

Sam Keys

I did the same.  Works pretty well.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)