Author Topic: Missing side stand foot lever help  (Read 776 times)

Offline Stoneman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
Missing side stand foot lever help
« on: February 10, 2023, 12:04:54 PM »
My 350GTR side stand is in good condition but the foot lever at the bottom is broken off. Actually, what’s left of it seems to be the remains of previous repair. I’ve had no luck finding a complete replacement. Any help on that score much appreciated.

Hoping someone could help me with photos of a good one in both up and down position, or a drawing of some sort and any other pertinent information. Confident I can reasonably fabricate a replacement and have it welded in place. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Missing side stand foot lever help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 03:27:35 PM »
The toe piece on the kickstand is 6mm in diameter. The other measurements are shown on one of the attached pics....
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline Stoneman

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 05:28:16 PM »
Thanks, Moonpup, very helpful. Follow up questions. In the photos the toepiece is welded off set of center of the stand base piece. Is this critical? And the toe piece also appears to be tilted at a slight angle. Is this important? Lastly, There’s a rubber part that goes on the toe piece. Does it contact the exhaust pipe and act as a stop in the side stand’s upward swing?

Thanks, again.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 06:12:13 PM »
1 - "toepiece is welded off set of center of the stand base piece. Is this critical?"
      I believe so, as it would place the rubber guard at the top of the upswing .... closest to the
      underside of the bike.

2 -  "the toe piece also appears to be tilted at a slight angle. Is this important?"
      It is titled a bit (see pic).... probably so that its more horizontal in the up position???

3 - "There’s a rubber part that goes on the toe piece. Does it contact the exhaust pipe and act as a
      stop in the side stand’s upward swing?"
      I have a GTO and don't own a GTR, so the GTR folks will have to answer that for you.
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline Stoneman

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 07:59:33 PM »
Once again, big thanks for additional info. And that is a great photo and explains a lot.

Offline Stoneman

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 09:48:42 AM »
Moonpup, or anyone who may know, is the kickstand design and particularly the toe piece, the same for the GTO and GTR? On the GTR, the toe piece sort of tucks up behind the exhaust pipe and must run just below the exhaust then slightly up the pipe outside.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 10:28:12 AM »
     Question 3 - Yes, the rubber sleeve acts as a stop against the centre seam on the bottom of the exhaust pipe on GTR.  I'm pretty  sure they used the same stand on the GTR and GTO.

Although this toe piece looks simple, getting the angles right is not quite straightforward.  Best advise I can give is that when the stand is raised the outer sraight end has a slight uptilt from being horizontal to the ground. Its vertical centre line is at 90 degs to the exhaust centre line.
     I would make the primary bend first (angle?), leaving the outer end long. Then weld the piece to the sidestand, tilting the outer end forward as picture 4.   Then fit the stand and adjust the outer end to my advise above, put the up curve on the tip and cut to length. But then again, I'm pedantic, lol.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:50:07 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline Stoneman

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 11:31:59 AM »
Believe I have what I need to fabricate the toe piece. Thanks BRT-GTR for the info, especially procedural strategy for final forming exterior section of part.

Gallery

Views:599
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1708
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:2075
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:2123
Comments (0)