Author Topic: Pet food warning  (Read 4788 times)

Offline Toystoretom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Pet food warning
« on: May 27, 2012, 10:17:15 PM »
If you are like me, you have a few critters around the house. One of my pets is a Peke named Ozzy Osbone whom I love to death. I like to spoil him rotten and buy him treats. He loves this stuff called Milo, it is a chicken based jerky treat for dogs, and it is very expensive. I don't give him very much of it because I don't want him to get tired of it.

My wife is watching TV the other night and it turns out that thousands of dogs are getting sick and dying of kidney failure because they ate Milo. This is all so new that the FDA hasn't had time to figure out what is in there that is causing this. Milo is made in China. Please Google "Milo" and read up on it.

It also goes by "Wagon Wheel" and some other names. It is sold at places like Petco and Petsmart, grocery stores and Walmart.

Don't give this crap to your dog. Quit buying stuff from China. I had no idea that dog treats were made in China. I wonder what human food comes from China. They have no ethics or morals whatsoever, they don't share the same values as we do.

Tomo
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Pet food warning
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 04:05:46 AM »
its a good idea to give that stuff a miss .we are inundated with the stuff here from children's cloths to corn .they use formaldehyde in there textiles and use human waste for fertilizer not to forget the lead based paints in our kids toys.  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:00:59 AM by coxy »

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 08:35:38 AM »

My wife is watching TV the other night and it turns out that thousands of dogs are getting sick and dying of kidney failure because they ate Milo. This is all so new that the FDA hasn't had time to figure out what is in there that is causing this. Milo is made in China. Please Google "Milo" and read up on it.

Kidney failure makes it sound like melamine, just like the Chinese pet food mix that was killing U.S. pets 3 or 4 years ago.  Apparently another Chinese supplier decided to cut costs the same way.  I think they executed the one from a few years ago, because they also were putting it in milk and killing Chinese children.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

paul

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 09:48:17 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm lookin at a Hartz,durable chew toy, with a durable nylon frame, textured nylon surface and a tempting bacon flavor. This polyurethane/nylon chew 'n clean was MADE IN CHINA. Wonder if this plastic would be suitable for human children?

Bikenstein

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:42:43 PM »
Anybody know anything about fish from China? I just bought some Chinese tilapia from Wally world. Ate some last night and didn't get sick but I'm a bit concerned about this talk of their practices .http://satirepatch.blogspot.com/2009/04/chinese-admit-feeding-prisoners-to.html ;D It has been reported that the tilapia farmers in China throw waste from poultry and livestock into the ponds and the fish feed off the algea bloom :P until they get larger and have to be fed with fish food (probably because tilapia take on the taste of whatever they eat). http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_44/b4201088229228_page_3.htm
I guess you don't know what you're eatin unless you raise it yourself. I think I'm gonna check my food for product of China labels.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:46:01 PM by Bikenstein »

rocketman

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:41:56 PM »
 I asked around our picnic yesterday and no one was aware of the Milo situation, but my own brother said he was feeding it to his dog. So thanks for the heads up guys. Dave, the tilapia does sound fishy. If they can't make safe food for a dog in China....    Mark.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:00:07 PM by rocketman »

Offline old smokey

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:45:54 PM »
our little dogs haven't had any food or treats with a "made in china" label for quite some time.
Costco sells some treats that look good for them, but are from china.
from what you can read on the internet, tilapia is a fish but it seems to be the worst thing out there in the "seafood" family.
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

Offline farmerdl

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 12:43:09 PM »
I raise fish for a living (well it's not much of a living) and I don't know that I would eat any seafood of any kind coming from almost anywhere else in the world.  For that matter I'd be careful where my beef, dairy products, vegetables or almost ANY of my foodstuffs came from.  labeling doesn't always matter a whole lot either.  A few years back cattle were slaughtered and partially processed in Mexico, shipped to Canada for further processing and came into the U.S. as boxed beef marked Product of Canada.  Tilapia will become to the fish business what the Holstein (I'm a retired dairy farmer also) cow is to dairy in this country.  I don't know that the fish themselves are actually bad for you but I would make sure that they are grown in the states.  You will see more and more tilapia marketed here because they do adapt well to commercial aquacultural systems.  By the way i don't raise tilapia.  I raise yellow perch and hybrid bluegil.

farmerdl

Gallery

Views:2524
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:3648
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:3963
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:3970