Author Topic: SR175 -> restoration  (Read 27293 times)

Crazygreg

• Trade Count: (0)
SR175 -> restoration
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:52:09 PM »
Modified the thread about the restoration now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
old post:
Hi,

after a year messing around with italians (bikes) I got my hand on a modified SR175, but is it worth restoring?
 I have the original engine, missing one carb and both cylinder shot (piston stuck and chrome chipping off), missing rear axle, suspensions, a few part there and there, and fitted with a 90cc tank (might be able to get the original tank) and a standard dual twin engine right now (serial plate apparently exchanged for the standard engine ones), cerriani front end, seat in really bad condition.
the pipes are kind of shot as well at the tube, but I will fix them.

-Was this bike total loss ignition? I only see two wire coming from alternator....

Picture coming soon.

Greg
 :D

Missing part list : (will update as I work on it)
Cylinders (might re-bore and use RM85 pistons)
Gaskets
side cover grills
one ignition coil (look similar to 350 ones...)  got a set of 350 nos ones
Crank (could be standard DT175), will do aluminum plugs etc..
needle bearings for pistons\rods
tank emblems,
tank cap
all cables
ignition with key.
swing arm bushing
clean swing arm axle
Throttle controls (left and right)
rubber Seals
Rubber top carb cap
Need to re-do the seat, welding tabs, cast foam and stitch seat cover.

;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:38:07 AM by Crazygreg »

Bikenstein

Re: SR175 worth restoring? and value?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 12:23:06 AM »
As far as I'm concerned there are 4 reasons to restore a bike. The first is for gratification, because you enjoy working on bikes or want to do it for a friend or just show it. Second  is because a certain bike has a sentimental value to you and you want to keep it. And the  third reason is because you want to sell it and make a profit or build a customers bike for a profit. Now all three of these could come into play simultaneously, but I think most people want to end up with a bike they could at least break even with if they did decide to sell it. Almost no one would want to invest more money in a bike than what it is worth, but unfortunately that seems to be the case most of the time, especially with the rare bikes. Even if you do most of the work yourself except for things like chroming or painting, which a lot of good mechanics are not set up to do, you can still end up with too much money in one of these bikes to make a worthwhile profit. So buying a restored bike at less than current value seems to be the wisest choice, at least as far as monetary worth, but you miss out on what it's all about and that part has value and worth in itself. Now I know I said four reasons and the last one is the primary reason I would say it is worth restoring and that reason is because it deserves to be restored. I think any bike that still has enough parts left to call it a bike, has endured regardless of how it has been treated or left to the elements, been modified, customized, vandalized, or cannibalized and is still standin', is worthy to be restored. If not, sell it to someone who will. It sounds to me like you are the man for the job so why not just go with your own opinion? That bein said I look forward to seein your pics. Speakin of Italian bikes, I've got a Moto Guzzi I gotta work on one day soon. Don't know if it's worth it or not ;D. I also have a DT175 with bad cylinders that I'll repair for a rider. Good luck with this project and get some pics on.

Offline CL-100

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • CL-100
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:56:58 AM »
Well said Bikenstein.  Sometimes it isn't about how much money you have in it.  The journey you take restoring the bike, as well as the end result are all worth it. 

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:11:41 AM »

-Was this bike total loss ignition? I only see two wire coming from alternator....

:D

Yes, they were total loss ignitions. 

Bikenstein said it best.  Everyone has to make up their own mind.  At least a good restored SR175 is worth quite a bit, but some of the parts are rare/non-existent.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline Mopar5426

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:54:11 PM »
  ISold ThiOne For 6500.00   Was All Correct Except For A Painted Tank   Ran & Drove Great   GENE

Crazygreg

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 03:26:21 AM »
Ok, it took me a long time, but here are the pictures!
the engine was swapped at some point for a 200cc one, but I do have the original one....the crankshaft is shot though, doesn't even move at all!
I will need cylinders, one carb (got just half of it), pistons\rings too,  rear axle, rear brake plate, shocks, one coil, throttle, all cables, air scope grille... etc..
But you guys convinced me, so i'm going to restore it, but as it is (with ceriani front end)
original engine i believe :

drtracr

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »
be carefull with the pipes, they are scarce.

Crazygreg

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 12:14:44 AM »
little update!
Finally got to dismantle pretty much everything!
The crank is in bad shape! but maybe rebuildable? gears are in really good shape, clutch too, everything look like really low mileage, looks like someone rode it in the water at one point!
The only carb is dirty but should clean pretty well, I just got a big ultrasonic cleaner so it should help!
Frame need to be re-welded where the ignition is usually mounted, bushing are shot and i have a better idea of what is missing!
I also dismantled the 200CC engine that was swaped on the frame, and it is in the same shape...except the cases are shot, lower is cracked, and these are kind of bonded together, the crank is in the same shape, but is an actual  SR 175 one (no gear for oil pump)...maybe salvageable if i manage to crack open the cases.
Will send most of it for vapor blasting!, weld the frame this week end and bring it to get a fresh powder coat
The Ceriani front end is in amazing shape! :D

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »
maybe try rust removal by electrolysis on that crank i think it would clean up

scrambler

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »
A replacement crank should be pretty easy to find. Actually if it were me I would keep the cases and replace everything in them with parts from a donor engine.

Crazygreg

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 12:39:28 AM »
i dropped the crank and all the rusty parts in my ultrasonic cleaner with a de-ruster named vapo-rust (apparently safe for anything but rust) and it cleaned quite well, it is pitted though.
Scrambler, only the crank is in bad shape, the rest look and feel new (bearings are amazingly clean and smooth), bike had really low mileage apparently, it look like someone ran in a pond or something..(same for the 200cc engine) i'm surprise I didn't find a gold fish in the crank case  :P
I might buy a regular DT175 crank and maybe lathe the oil gear out...

scrambler

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 12:48:12 AM »
Is there a difference in the SR175 crank vs. the DT/HS175 or RS/SS200 crank?

Crazygreg

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 03:16:50 AM »
 :-\, no oil pump gearing extension and full crank web (seems like they used some kind of epoxy)

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
A standard crank works.  For a rider/show bike, no need to fill the holes in the crank wheels, no one will see inside after it's back together.  The original SR's used aluminum plugs, if those are epoxy, some owner did that to a standard crank.  The oil pump gear on a standard crank can be pulled by using a chisel behind it, but it's pretty hard to keep from marring the end of the crank that way. A better way is to drill and tap it and use a slide hammer puller.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN

Crazygreg

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 12:32:09 AM »
Nice! thanks for the info!
might get standard one then, and lathe aluminum plug for it!

Today I rewelded the ignition support plate on the frame, and the rear fender (little stress cracks)... i realized it is missing the side stand support (was cut off, at least it seems like). wanted to bring it to the powder coater this coming week, but I guess it will wait!
still need to send the engine case for vapor blasting.

does anybody have a messed up 175-200 frame and could cut the side stand mounting point for a few $ ?  i have a side stand coming up... but kind of useless with no frame mounting point!

i'm also looking for a VM22 mikuni since one of them is missing 99% of the parts (just top main part is there)

will do a list of missing part as well on the first post!

Greg

Bikenstein

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 09:31:49 AM »
Greg, why not just fab up a bracket for your sidestand or have a welding shop do it? Should be pretty easy, huh?

Crazygreg

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 03:25:57 AM »
yep, thanks! i guess I could...I will look at some piece of metal i can use for that... i have to check on my dt175 how it look and grab my grinder! :)

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »
I have a 175 frame in the scrap pile because it has a bent steering head/downtube.  You can have the sidestand bracket.  PM me your address and I'll take a sawzall to that section of the frame.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN

Crazygreg

Re: SR175 -> restoration
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 12:48:48 AM »
Thanks to Karl, I fixed the side stand support, welded also the ignition switch support tab and then got the frame powder coated, pipes sandblasted (not too bad, a little pitted but need full replacement of the J tube,and add silencers as i'm planing to register and ride it in the city ... :)

Crazygreg

Re: SR175 -> restoration
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 12:54:15 AM »
tried also to get some parts out of the 200CC extra engine.... case was cracked and realized that they were fused together, so i used my best friend Mr Hammer:
got transmission parts... it appear that the SR crank (this one had aluminum plugs) was in the cases but way to sad and fused as well to save anything, pistons were also one piece with the cylinders so I fed it to the recycling bin.

Still looking for a mikuni VM22 or parts,as all the ones I found on 3bay are different looking from the one I have.

will do a massive order to Richard for some missing parts.

Gallery

Views:1842
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:2932
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:3300
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:3336
Comments (0)