Author Topic: Not getting full throttle travel  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Gonzo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
Not getting full throttle travel
« on: August 22, 2009, 07:38:20 AM »
Hoping someone has seen this before...

I was tinkering with my GTR today and I noticed that I'm not getting full throttle travel. Initially I thought it might have been a cable issue, so I gave the cables a quick hit of lubricant. Whilst doing this, I noticed that the problem went away when the oil pump cable was detached. From there, it was pretty easy to pinpoint the source of the trouble. The actuator arm on the oil pump is fouling on the cable guide bracket (part 1582-9000).

This shows the full extent of throttle travel I'm enjoying:

This is where the trouble is:

If I remove the bracket, bingo, full throttle travel. In fact, I only have to loosen the two mounting bolts a little and the actuator arm slides past without any dramas. However, with everything tightened up, it just jams solid. I've checked that the oil pump is adjusted correctly as per the owner's manual.

Obviously, half a second on the bench grinder will remove enough alloy from the bottom of the guide bracket to solve the problem, and it won't affect the strength of the bracket, but I'm more interested in why it's fouling in the first place. Both pump and guide are unmodified and appear stock when compared to the line drawings in the parts manual, so... I'm confused. How much clearance do other people have?

I haven't gotten the bike out on the street for a test run as yet, so I haven't noticed the problem before (it'd be blindingly obvious if the bike was running)

-Steve.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
Re: Not getting full throttle travel
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 02:35:07 PM »
Here's a couple shots of mine:

In comparison to mine, the cable bracket on yours is tilted back and down.  You may just need to loosen the screws and tilt it the other way and retighten them.

This shows the clearance between the oil pump cam and the cable bracket on mine.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline Gonzo

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »
Yep, that fixed it!

Thanks Karl!

I should have thought of that :-[ - I was just tightening up the mounting bolts without thinking about the cable pulling it down. D'oh!

Yet another case of the problem being the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat...

-Steve.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 06:28:59 PM »
There is an adjustment shown in the service manual on page 43 (download from http://www.bridgestonemotorcycle.com/documents/BS350SM150.pdf) that you should make on the oil pump cable.  There is supposed to be a "0" mark stamped on the throttle slide. You open the throttle to bring the "0" mark to the top of the throat, then adjust the oil pump cable so the leading edge of the oil pump control lever (the round thing the cable hooks into) lines up with the cast corner of the body.  Unfortunately, your throttle slide is like mine - no "0" mark.  You can open the throttle until a 7/32 drill bit just fits under the outside edge of the slide, then set the oil pump opening so the edge of the control lever and the corner of the body align.

I just checked mine and it's way off.  Oops!
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

whitegto

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 06:58:44 AM »
Hi Gonzo,

i see that you may not be that far from me perhaps, i am in Mullumbimby about half an hour from Tweed Heads. Your GTR looks great, you must be well pleased.

Finally got to ride my GTO for the first time today, what a lovely thing to ride. Have you put any miles on yours yet?
Good to see some Bridgestones in OZ, should be more of em......

cheers John

Offline Gonzo

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 04:33:43 AM »
Hi John!

Check your messages...  ;)

Yes I got the GTR out on the street for the first time yesterday! It's great! Still needs a lot of work (leaking fuel from one carby), but it goes just fine. Only went up to the end of the road and back, but it was far enough to blow out the cobwebs and confirm that it zips up to 70mph quite happily. Managed to prod the gears in the right direction, too, which was nice.

Now to arrange a roadworthy and some rego...

-Steve.

rena42war

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 09:09:03 AM »
full throttle travel consume double fuel than its normal capacity.

Gallery

Views:4424
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:5590
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:5868
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:5865
Comments (0)