Author Topic: Weird gas problem  (Read 11481 times)

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Weird gas problem
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 04:35:57 PM »
Don't overlook the possibility of a bad spark plug.  Even new or slightly used ones can sometimes cause a problem, especially on these old bikes with weak ignition systems. If you don't have spares just lying around, just switch right and left and try it.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

jwhite2

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 06:46:58 PM »
Well im not sure that I would know if I had bad spark or good but its pretty bright and blueish color.  I feel like its a decent spark.  Its similar to what im getting on the right hand side that is running.

jwhite2

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 07:49:11 PM »
Did the suction test today (whatever you call it) and I had a good enough suction to leave a small ring on my hand for a few seconds.  Not crazy but decent.  I guess that means my seals are good on that side?

ridered

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:14 PM »
For the low flow coming out of the petcock I would check the flow with the gas cap off. Your cap venting may be plugged if its the same as a 350 cap there is only one small hole that can get plugged easily. There should be real good flow out of the petcock it. Don't think this will fix all your issues but it will eliminate one possible problem. Let me know if this helped the petcock flow problem.
Mike

reed

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 10:04:23 PM »
jwhite2
If don't resolve the problem with your Bridgestone by the time i get back from my Christmas break.
Send me the carbs and fuel taps and i will thoroughly go through the carbs and taps, put them in
Ultrasonic tanks and set them up for you ,So you can eliminate the carbs and taps from your
Problem apart from any air leaks.And then you can work on the ignition points condensers by then
With the help of the members we can get this Bridgestone running for the road.
There will be no charge for doing the carbs and taps etc.
Thanks.
Steve.

jwhite2

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 11:24:58 PM »
Gas caps been off the whole time.  I knew about that air hole problem from an old scooter I used to have.

Steve I will probably have them sent off to you regardless.  I cleaned em, but not good enough.  I appreciate the offer but charge me your normal fee.  I believe in paying for good quality work seeing as how there are so few people out there doing QUALITY work.  Ill send the carbs and petcock to you after Christmas break if I cant get it running still.

New questions. 

1.)  How do you get a stripped screw out?  I bought an impact wrench today and got my left side cover off.  Started in on the right side and stripped 2 screws.  I wanna get these two plates off and clean them / inspect timing, clutch etc.

2.)  Does anyone have a right side engine cover for a MKII RS? The piece that goes between carb cover and engine case?  I assume a 175 HS cover works but I thought id ask.  Mine had a bend and crack in it to begin with.  Tried to straighten it and FAILED, horribly.  Was going to replace it anyways so if I can find a good used one id appreciate the seller!  Working condition over looks.  I want this bike to ride not to show.  PM me if you have something.

reed

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 11:33:55 PM »
jwhite2
The offer still stands! your know i can not sleep until the Bridgestone is running only joking.
Thanks
Steve.

reed

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 11:43:54 PM »
jwhite2
Think about getting new points and condensers if you not already done so!
Thanks.
Steve.

BSOrion

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 01:35:20 AM »
For stripped screws, in the past, I've used a hack-saw or dremmel to cut a groove into the screw head to receive a flat head screwdriver.  That usually works.  There are also old and new products that you can use (tap-outs, etc).

Orion

scrambler

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 08:20:23 AM »
Once they strip I just drill them out. If its a 6mm screw I start with something around a 3mm bit and drill deep enough to be through the head.  Then move on up to something around 6mm and the head pops right off. After the cover is removed those screws can usually be removed just with your fingers but a vise-grip will also work.

jwhite2

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 09:20:54 AM »
I think the points are fine.  Whats a condenser?

Ive got a stripped bolt bit that should remove the stripped ones but I wanted to see what else was out there.  Last time I tried to use it I ruined the threads.  The dremel idea sounds promising.  Ill let you guys know how it comes out.  I really appreciate all the help!  Still looking for that right side cover.  Anyone currently parting a bike out?

Oh and im thinking about using allen head instead of phillips screws when I replace these covers.  Any thoughts?

scrambler

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 09:26:36 AM »
The condensers are the two small cylinder looking things that are between your points and connected to your points by the black and white wires.

Right side cover. For the engine? Carb cover?

jwhite2

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
Gotcha thanks for clarifying.  Ill send you an email with the part numbers.  Not sure what its called.

Gallery

Views:1280
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:2377
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:2743
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:2779
Comments (0)