Author Topic: hello from indiana  (Read 3767 times)

theBSer

• Trade Count: (0)
hello from indiana
« on: April 15, 2011, 09:05:58 AM »
Hi my names Ryan I just got a 1970 bridgestone 175 dual and I'm in love! I'm only 23 but these bikes really won me over. I need all the advice I can get. Thanks bridgesrone buddys

ztnoo

Re: hello from indiana
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »
Hi Ryan,
There are a whole bunch of Hoosiers here at the site.
The site owner is a Hoosier as well.
Welcome aboard.
Where are you located?
How about some pics of your bike???

Regards,
Steve
Gas City

Offline old smokey

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 07:56:46 PM »
Hi theBSer,
My brother joined the site but hasn't done much here yet. He lives in Indiana and might have a used 175 cylinder he would part with.
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

reed

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 10:24:43 PM »
Steve,
What is a Hoosiers!
I hope it has a good meaning.
Thanks.
Steve.

theBSer

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 11:23:09 PM »
I'm from rockport Indiana its right near Owensboro Kentucky and I need lots of help on this bike...I need advice on my cylinders there is chips in the Chrome and I'm wondering if I should replate it bore and sleave and bigger pistons or what plez help

ztnoo

Re: hello from indiana; definition of Hoosier
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 05:08:52 AM »
The Word Hoosier
by Jeffrey Graf
Reference Department
Herman B Wells Library
Indiana University - Bloomington

"Like barnacles, a thick crust of speculation has gathered over the word "Hoosier" to explain the origin of Indiana's nickname. Popular theories, diligently and often sincerely advanced, form a rich, often amusing body of folklore. Those theories include: "Who's here?" as a question to unknown visitors or to the inhabitants of a country cabin; Hussar, from the fiery European mounted troops; "Huzzah!" proclaimed after victory in a fight; Husher, a brawny man, capable of stilling opponents; Hoosa, an Indian word for corn; Hoose, an English term for a disease of cattle which gives the animals a wild sort of look; and the evergreen "Who's ear?" asked while toeing a torn-off ear lying on the bar room floor the morning after a brawl.

The best evidence, however, suggests that "Hoosier" was a term of contempt and opprobrium common in the upland South and used to denote a rustic, a bumpkin, a countryman, a roughneck, a hick or an awkward, uncouth or unskilled fellow. Although the word's derogatory meaning has faded, it can still be heard in its original sense, albeit less frequently than its cousins "Cracker" and "Redneck."

From the South "Hoosier" moved north and westward with the people into the Ohio Valley, where it was applied at first to the presumably unsophisticated inhabitants of Southern Indiana. Later it expanded to include all residents of the state and gradually lost its original, potent connotation of coarseness in manners, appearance and intellect.

As for the word itself, it probably derives from the Saxon word "hoo" meaning promontory or cliff or ridge or rise or hill. Jacob Piatt Dunn, a diligent scholar of the word, believes a Saxon beginning, and such a meaning survives in various place names in England. There is some sense in the notion, too, that those who applied the insult and those to whom it was applied (and who understood it) came primarily from British stock.

The unusual (ier or sier) ending has always been difficult to explain. Might it be from "scir" the old form of "shire?" The Hoo Shire would then be the Hill Country, the High Places or the Mountain Region. Would that meaning then extend to those who lived in the hills, making them the "hooscirs" and later the "Hoosiers," the mountain people, hillbillies by another name?"

***http://www.indiana.edu/~librcsd/internet/extra/hoosier.html

Hoo·sier  (hzhr)
n.
Used as a nickname for a native or resident of Indiana.

http://www.aolsvc.merriam-webster.aol.com/audio.php?file=hoosie01&word=Hoosier&text=\%3Cspan%20class%3D%22unicode%22%3E%CB%88%3C%2Fspan%3Eh%C3%BC-zh%C9%99r\

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 10:42:19 AM »
I'm from rockport Indiana its right near Owensboro Kentucky and I need lots of help on this bike...I need advice on my cylinders there is chips in the Chrome and I'm wondering if I should replate it bore and sleave and bigger pistons or what plez help
There aren't larger pistons available, so you need new cylinders or replate the old ones.  Replating will cost between $350-$400 for the pair.  You can probably find used or new cheaper if  you don't get in a hurry.  Someone on here may have some available or watch e-bay, they occasionally show up.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

theBSer

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 12:33:42 PM »
I'm getting impatient lol I wanna ride...I got my bike from a biker dude who owns the town bar and  were all impatient to see it running Haha

Gallery

Views:3168
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:4331
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:4624
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:4664
Comments (0)