Author Topic: Sequoia... Bridgestone's Very Own Bigfoot  (Read 50421 times)

Offline dcr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Sequoia... Bridgestone's Very Own Bigfoot
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2014, 08:54:37 PM »
Bought from him before with no trouble at all. Reasonable price and fast shipping.
1966 175 DT and 1968 350 GTR

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2014, 09:00:25 PM »
Let's just all agree to be careful with whomever we deal with on eBay and get back to the task of finding Sequoia...  8)
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline Jeff McBrayer

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2014, 08:45:23 AM »
Since the subject is back up. Here a message I posted some time back.  And to a point. I never got my money back
as Paul Ross must have pull with Paypal, since he convinced Paypal that since a package was delivered to me. Paypal would
not give my money back.  It did not matter that the item shipped was wrong.  So remember when dealing with Paul Ross
Paypal will not help you.   You guys that have not had trouble, I hope you never do.  I think you will get taken in time.

Here is my old message about this:

I wanted to tell the Bridgestone world not because of the problem as problems do happen, but the response is now the problem
I bought a 350 rear brake cable from Swapmeetman on ebay paid my money he sent me a 175 brake cable not 350 not a real
problem with me I just wanted him to send me the correct one  after many unanswered messages through ebay with no reply I got
his phone number and called him. He was rude and told me that I got want I ordered told me I was stupid and said #^@*# you and hung
up on me.
I am now filling out the paypal dispute forms  I just want everyone to know about this deal

Jeff McBrayer
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:51:43 AM by Jeff McBrayer »
Great BS site

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2014, 10:35:26 AM »
Recently, I decided to put a post up on Facebook's Bridgestone page inquiring if anyone there had ever seen or had pic's of a true factory produced green GTO. Sadly, no pic's have turned up yet but one nice gentleman provided the following information....

"Mike, this was long ago. I am deep in Bridgestone history, maybe better than Jim Trader...lol. Two 350's were ordered by my old dealership friend in Bellefontaine, Ohio back in 1970. they never sold, deep emerald green, I remember the pair for year's, even rode one. That was a color option and my friend Barney ordered them, as I remember it described as " Forest Green "....the rummor was the color was intended for the 500 GTR which,
saddly never made real production."

There IS hope!  ;D

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2014, 11:19:33 AM »
Wow! Another of your grails solved!...A real account of a Sequoia sighting! How cool is that...you are the supreme motorcycle archeologist, Moonpup. Nice.
...bert

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2014, 11:22:05 AM »
Wow! Another of your grails solved!...A real account of a Sequoia sighting! How cool is that...you are the supreme motorcycle archeologist, Moonpup. Nice.
...bert

A bit over the top don't ya think... hahaha  ;D

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2014, 02:23:08 PM »
Sequoia green tank on a GTR?  Hummmmm.......

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2015, 10:42:20 PM »
OH NO... was watching Pawn Stars the other day and someone had brought in a green Harley chopper to sell.

Of course, they brought in their "expert" to check it out and amongst other observations by him, he pointed out the "fact" that the color green was considered bad luck by a lot of motorcyclists!

Anybody else ever heard that? Maybe that's why I can't find any green GTO's!  :o  ;D

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2015, 03:26:39 AM »
mike that answers the story of my life I have to wear green and yellow all the time .I cant win a trick maybe I will win the reverse lotto next year .a audit !

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2015, 09:46:42 AM »
Round here they call the "expert's" opinion baloney!  ::) ;D ::)
...bert

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2015, 11:42:10 PM »
Wow, looks like there's 5 350 GTO's all lined up in a row on this neat old dealer postcard and the last one on the left looks like it might actually be a sequoia green model!  :o

You can easily see the 4 gold GTO's towards the left end of the row of bridgestones but that last one on the left definitely ain't red.  ;D

This may be the first "period" sighting of one of the green GTO's and it's at a dealership!

Currently on eBay.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Bridgestone-BSA-OSSA-Motorcycle-Dealer-Bridgeton-NJ-Advertising-Postcard-/351305211969?pt=Postcards_US&hash=item51cb6c2041#ht_329wt_1161
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:43:47 PM by moonpup »

Offline dcr

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2015, 09:16:27 AM »
A bit off topic Moonpup, but I have a 100 Sport from this place. I made a comment somewhere on another thread on how I came upon this bike and the conversation I had with the seller and a few of his friends regarding where my bike originated.
1966 175 DT and 1968 350 GTR

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2015, 09:35:45 AM »
That's cool dcr, this place looks like it probably sold quite a few "stones" back in the day.  8)

I'm still somewhat amazed to see so many GTO's lined up for display and not a single GTR in the bunch. 

Oh well... they must have sold out all the GTR's and just had these "fake dirtbikes" left that nobody wanted!   ;D ;) ;D

paul

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2015, 09:00:27 PM »
Are we sure the last ones a BS? Wish we had a clearer shot.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2015, 10:42:40 PM »
Are we sure the last ones a BS? Wish we had a clearer shot.

Yes, a clearer shot would sure be nice Paul, but it's the best guess I have using a picture of a picture on a postcard.

For me, it's all 5 headlights lining up at the same height, all the front fenders the same length and it looks to have the same tapered "bullet" shape  at the front end of the gas tank. Also, the fact that all the other bikes lined up on that side are Bridgestones, it seems unlikely that they'd stick something else there. (well besides the dune buggy... hahaha)

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2015, 09:19:09 AM »
Mike,
         It took me a little while to home in on it but that patch of tank colour to the top left of the headlight on next bike definitely has a dark green tinge to it, even to my old eyes.
   The fact there are no GTRs in the line up and the other four GTOs have the chrome/gold tanks would suggest the photo was taken early 1970, As far as I know, no GTRs were produced in the first batch of Rockford 350s(built late 69/early70). I'm sure someone will come back to say yes they did !! ;D
     I'm not too familiar with the smaller BS models. Is the bike to the top right of the post card a BS , is that sequoa green?.
 Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2015, 09:32:54 AM »
.....snip.....
I'm not too familiar with the smaller BS models. Is the bike to the top right of the post card a BS , is that sequoa green?.
 Brian.

To answer both of your questions Brian, yes & yes.

While my eyes also see a green tint on the last GTO, that could just be me looking at it through "rose colored glasses" and seeing what I want to see.  :o

I'm still also trying to figure out what's going on with the red bike that's second from the end on the right. It looks like it's a 175 but it appears to have both a seperate speedo & tach mounted and the casings painted to match the rest of the bike.

Was the dealer adding bits and doing custom paint jobs? Was the GTO also a custom paint job? Who knows, but I'd like to think......
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:52:20 AM by moonpup »

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2015, 11:32:31 AM »
Thanks Mike,
        That would be ''grass coloured glasses''  :D ;D :D but I don't believe you are looking through them.  Do you know when the green colour option was introduced, on any BS model?.
 Put yourself in the BS dealers position, a big move to trail (Fake or otherwise) biking at that time in the US, Rockfords develop the GTO to meet it, lets order 4 gold ones and maybe a green one to see how they sell. The gold option would be more attractive to younger buyers.  I think you've tracked down a genuine sequoa GTO, if only a glimpse but that's Bigfoot for you.

You could be right with the twin clocks on the 175, again a big selling point at that time.        Brian
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2015, 05:21:22 PM »
To further the discussion, it looks to me like the second to last bike has the stance of a 350 (taller than the gold 175/200 directly behind it), twin gages, the pipes are splayed further apart than a 175 and the cylinder/head shape is 350.  However, it looks like it has a tank badge like a 175 (maybe it's a reflection?).
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2015, 05:39:05 PM »
To further the discussion, it looks to me like the second to last bike has the stance of a 350 (taller than the gold 175/200 directly behind it), twin gages, the pipes are splayed further apart than a 175 and the cylinder/head shape is 350.  However, it looks like it has a tank badge like a 175 (maybe it's a reflection?).

Hey Karl, that bike had me a bit confused and I blame it on that darn tank badge!  :D I went with a 175 w/added gauges because of it, but you my be right on it being a GTR.

Gallery

Views:219
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1360
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1755