Author Topic: On the Road Again! (update - one cylinder gets too much oil!)  (Read 6391 times)

BeerGeek

• Trade Count: (0)
On the Road Again! (update - one cylinder gets too much oil!)
« on: October 02, 2010, 05:05:14 PM »
I filled my workshop with smoke this morning!
After retrieving it from it's 20 year slumber in a pole barn 150 miles away where I kind of...Forgot about it, I got all the fluids drianed and replaced, cleaned out the gas tank, carbs and petcock, and put in a new battery.  I put the key in turned it on, pushed in the start assist and gave it a kick.  It fired up, and revved up really fast!  I shut it down, freed a stuck carb slide, and kicked it again.  It started right up!  As I sat in wonder, revving the throttle I didn't notice the small shop filling with smoke!  I finally moved it outside.
Called my neighbor, who's an MG aficianado and appreciator of all things vintage and said "Hey Bill!  Listen to THIS!" And tooted the horn.  He was impressed.  Then I said "If you lied THAT..." And kicked it over.  Beautiful plumes of smoke coming out the pipes, and a wonderful 2-stroke grumble!

Now I just need to get vintage plates for it, rig up some air filtering, and get a new helmet!

1969 175 HS
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 07:41:07 AM by BeerGeek »

ColoStone

Re: On the Road Again!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 08:12:37 PM »
Hey Beer ! great story this is what makes an old relic so much fun , to hear the humm, roar , or even knock  of such a well built machine after being dormant for soooo long   :D. are you going to go FULL RESTOR on us in the future ? It would make for a happy ending to your story .

Thanks
    Randy

Offline old smokey

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 08:32:38 PM »
Gotta love the ease and fun of getting a 2 stroke running again!
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

BeerGeek

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 08:38:58 PM »
I'm telling my neighbors it was skill, not ease, that got it running!

I haven't decided if it will be a restore, or a rat bike.  I'll rat bike it for a while, while I'm working on  my '74 CB350F.

reed

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 09:14:21 PM »
Hi Beergeek
When you get some time restore it please!
Thanks.
Reed.

BeerGeek

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 07:39:52 AM »
One thing that is going on: The right cylinder seems to be getting a lot more oil than the right.  At the joint between the exhaust pipe and the muffler (the front heat sheild assembly is missing on this side) oil sprays out onto the carb cover.  And if it sits and idles for a bit, when you take off, oil belches out of the tailpipe.  I haven't actually seen it happen, but I found two oil stripes on the pavement when I returned.

Is this adjustable?  Can I just run premix?

rocketman

Re: On the Road Again! (update - one cylinder gets too much oil!)
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:06:46 AM »
 BG,does the right side or the left side have the smoke? (you have a typo) Left side could be a seal.

BeerGeek

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 11:34:20 AM »
"The right cylinder seems to be getting more oil than the left" is how it should have read.

I wasn't perfectly clear.  I found two "oil stripes", but they were from two different departures.  And both on the right side.  And the right side spits oil where the exhaust and muffle pipe join.  And the right side smokes more.

So the good news is it's not a seal.  The bad news?  Still don't know what it might be?

There was a lot of bad, thick oil in the oil tank that I cleaned out.  If there's a plug or restriction in the left side, could it be sending more oil the the right?  Or would the oil pressure be independent side to side?

reed

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 06:15:21 PM »
Hi Beekgeek
Replace the oil lines and the oil pump on my 1967 Bridgestone 350 gtr i am doing the same thing replacing pump and lines.
You know i have seen oil pumps as low as 50.00 give Richard call pre mix is the last thing i would do!
If i see any oil pumps or oil lines for sale i will let you know i am always looking for Bridgestone parts in the USA AND the UK etc.
You do not know how good that pump is after siting all those years left hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
All the best .
Reed.

Offline BS Mechanic

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 08:30:41 PM »
Things to look at:
If the seal on the right end of the crank between the crankcase and the transmission is leaking, transmission oil will be sucked out of the transmission into the right cylinder.  I've had this happen on my 350.

If the left oil line is plugged or restricted anywhere, including the ends, that could also direct too much oil to the right side, but I'd expect it to also starve the left side by an equal amount.

BeerGeek

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 11:21:10 AM »
Hmmmm.....I changed out the transmission fluid a couple days ago.  Took out ~16oz, put in 25oz.

That's starting to make sense.

Any tips on the fix?

BeerGeek

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 01:47:08 PM »
Diagnostically speaking, could I clamp off the oil supply tube and see if it stops smoking so much?  Or would this damage the oil pump?  I could redirect the outflow.  That way I could check the relative pump rate on the oil pump.

I could drain the transmission oil and see if there's still 25 ounces.  Or is there another way to check for proper oil level?  After adding 25oz, I couldn't see the level through the fill hole.

reed

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 01:53:58 PM »
Beergeek
The seal on the right of the crank is leaking it will pull transmisson oil into the right cylinder thanks to Bs Mechanic.
But remember this a good friend of mine back in the UK just finish a Yamaha rd 200 first run out about 100 miles
Motor locked up oil pump stoped working, the Yamaha sat for a long time before he rebuilt it so after you put your new seal
In please check that oil pump for 50.00 pump cost him time and 500.00 rebuild.
Thanks.
Reed.

reed

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
Beergeek
I would drain the oil in transmission and see if you about 25 ounces first!
Thanks
Reed.
PS if your oil is low then Bs Mechanic is right then it time to replace the seal etc.

BeerGeek

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 07:46:51 AM »
Well, I warmed up the bike last night, and drained the oil into a measuring cup.  23oz.  I added a couiple oz to that, put it back in, and blasted up and down the road for about ten miles.  Let it cool off a bit, drained and measured the oil.  22oz.  Looks like a smoking gun, the seal.

Per Steve's suggestion, I'll put a couple of 10 mile sessions on the bike to get it good and hot (I have never ridden it far enough to get it good and hot - It's been a good 30 years since the bike was ridden consistantly) and see if the seal breaks free, recovers, expands....Fixes itself.

I'll just keep an eye on the oil level, and hope my boots stop smelling like gas/oil.

Gallery

Views:2959
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:4101
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:4406
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:4446
Comments (0)