Author Topic: How Much is a Title Worth?  (Read 9911 times)

ztnoo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How Much is a Title Worth?
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »
Kevin,
How much do you suppose a title would add to the value of the GTR you have listed for sale without a title?
Seems to me a title is a big deal generally (it is here in Indiana) and would help the sales possibilities of a bike.
What you have right now is basically a parts bike (a bike without a title), even though it appears to be fairly complete.
It would have to be worth considerably more with a title, even if it doesn't running.
If you haven't had much luck attempting to sell it as a parts bike, maybe you'd stir more interest if it had a title.
If someone is considering buying a street bike and they have two choices, one with a title and one without a title, my guess 90% of the time they will opt for a titled bike even if its more money, especially if they are an experienced buyer and know the hassles they can encounter buying an untitled bike, particularly an out-of-state bike, if they have intentions of registering, plating, and riding on the street.

scrambler

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »
In my experience that bike with a title might be worth $200 more.

I guess I should update my classified listing. That bike is on its way to South Africa along with the rest of my GTR parts bikes.

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »
 if i could get complete untitled bikes out of the states i would do it all the time but you need the title for it to leave the states .when it gets here you dont need any of that crap   any pre 1976 bikes all you need is a receipt ,possibly a engineers certificate just to prove what it is   if you are  unlucky.
i  agree with Kevin leaning towards the lower end of the scale .every time i have parted out a bike with a standard frame i am always left with just a bare frame which then hangs from the rafters and after a few years gets thrown out .

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 11:52:45 AM »
if i could get complete untitled bikes out of the states i would do it all the time but you need the title for it to leave the states .when it gets here you dont need any of that crap   any pre 1976 bikes all you need is a receipt ,possibly a engineers certificate just to prove what it is   if you are  unlucky.
i  agree with Kevin leaning towards the lower end of the scale .every time i have parted out a bike with a standard frame i am always left with just a bare frame which then hangs from the rafters and after a few years gets thrown out .

Which is why the "value" lies with the title more so than the frame. The frame just makes it all legal.
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 12:36:26 PM »
It's going to be worth what someone is willing to pay and take the shipping cost into account.

I have 2 gto frames and 4 gtr frames. If they were worth somewhere around $1000 with a title I would be working pretty hard to get titles on them.

90% complete bikes with an engine that turns over and are a good start for a restoration or project don't bring $1000.

Kevin,

I kind of glossed over this earlier, but this one statement of yours pretty much sums it up!  ::)

Last week there was a beautiful GTO w/title on craigslist for just $900. As long as these types of deals keep popping up, the value of just a frame & title is going to be smothered.

Heck, I couldn't understand why the guy didn't want to buy my parts bike to get the title he needed when he could’ve just parted out the rest of the bike and not only make money on the deal but end up with the frame and title for basically no cost.

But hey.... it’s been fun chatting about this!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:38:02 PM by moonpup »
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

ztnoo

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »
As a variation on theme, I thought some might have interest in reading about the fun stuff some people go through recreating titles. Seems so much easier just to buy a bike with a title. Interesting reading none the less.

How to get a title without using one of the title companies
http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=10002.0

Gallery

Views:5004
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6202
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6530
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson