Author Topic: WHAT THE BEST WAY TO HEAT THE WORKSHOP.  (Read 5661 times)

reed

• Trade Count: (0)
WHAT THE BEST WAY TO HEAT THE WORKSHOP.
« on: November 07, 2010, 09:55:29 AM »
WHAT THE BEST WAY TO HEAT THE WORKSHOP.
Now that winter is upon us what is the best way to heat the workshop and keep the heat in.
Any ideas.
Thanks.
Reed.

ColoStone

Re: WHAT THE BEST WAY TO HEAT THE WORKSHOP.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 10:53:12 AM »
I just installed a garage door seal/ or threshold yesterday , you can order them from harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=garage+door+threshold.I used "PL Premium "
  polyurethane construction adhesive to glue it down on the concrete, the seal comes in 8,10,and 16 foot length but you can add more than one length for wider shop doors. The seal will also keep water from a hard rain or melting snow from creeping in under the door, now my door has a seal on it and I will see if leaving it on oppose to removing it will be the way to go, because the instructions do not illustrate there being a seal attached to the bottom of the door.
          Good Luck !
                Thanks
                    Randy     

reed

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 07:48:59 PM »
Randy
I hope the doors are strong to keep out the bears or they will be in there and running out with the UPS boxes you got
from Richard!
Thanks.
Steve.

rocketman

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 08:53:01 AM »
 Randy,I'll drop Richard a note to stop smearing his packages with honey. Might help! Size of shop and type of work can help determine best heat. If you do automotive work to a great degree,or have access,waste oil burners have come along way toward efficiency and cleanliness. I've seen a few flameless gas units that work pretty well,but you have to really watch the non-vented type so that you don't load your workspace with carbon monoxide. Wood and pellet stoves seem to be the most popular for smaller spaces. If you do any body or paint work,you need massive amounts of heat for proper curing,vs.mechanical type work that might not require you to be so warm. I use oil fired forced air. I'm heating way too much space with way too little efficiency,and it about kills me every winter in fuel costs. I need to organize and cut the better part of the building off from heat altogether. Electric is out for me. I refuse to pay the scavengers at the utility company any more than absolutely neccessary. Power should be free by now, Where's Tesla when you need him?  Mark.

ridered

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 01:18:53 PM »
Randy
If you haven't done it yet. Last winter I put the Owens Corning garage door insulation kit on my doors and it made a big difference. It was easy to install and cost 70 bucks a door. Where I live the main problem was the summer heat which it kept outside but in the winter it keeps the cold outside also and its a great sound dampener too. My walls were already insulated so the doors were my weak point.
Mike

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 01:37:23 PM »
My workshop is actually in the basement (drive-in), so it's heated and A/C'd.  I'm considering building a detached workshop.  We're getting a new heat pump for the house tomorrow, but keeping the old electric heat/ A/C which are still working.  That'll be my shop system. Around here, electric heat is currently cheaper than gas, unless  you're using wood or used oil, etc.  For me, having the shop cool in the summer is nearly as important as heat in the winter.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

ColoStone

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 08:59:02 PM »
Ridered hi , yes I did install the Owens two winters ago, the thresh hold seal I just did was mainly due to the fact the concrete floor was poured badly to one side its level is off allowing water to enter under the door seal ( the door being level). I use strong work lights that give off lots of heat and works well enough to keep my toes from freezing  :P. Now about the bears I should mention Richard did put my shipment of parts in the " HIGH RISK " category by shipping everything in a " GIRL SCOUT COOKIE BOX " and you know what Yogi says " Smarter Than The Average Bear "  ;D. Now watch Richard will ship my next set of parts in a Salmon Box.
         Thanks
             Randy     

ColoStone

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 09:32:18 PM »
This Is Debbie the dumpster diving bear, The company I work for is " Mountain Disposal " we  provide service in all the hard (and bear ) to reach areas ,this female was breaking the chain on the small door of the dumpster lid and squeezing in to feast on the campers left overs and then would not able to get back out ! the Rangers would have to call the driver that had the keys to unlock the steel bar holding the lid shut to let her out (her cub would be crying all night for her in the tree line).Billy our driver with the keys told me how when he first went to unlock her from the iron dining box , he was not ready for what was to come ,She popped out of the dumpster like a Tasmanian Jack In The Box ! scattering everyone around in all directions, Billy went as far as almost breaking a Rangers arm running him over as Debbie Screamed and Roared viscously while trying to gain freedom. Well this went on for a few weeks , they got smart and tied a rope to the bar and pulled it off from afar ,The rangers would shoot her with rubber bullets to discourage her from coming back (to no avail )So I asked Billy to call me when he got the call to unlock Debbie again to get a picture of her (he said I was nuts ) She is so mad as hell Bill told me "you would be lucky to get a shot because you will be running for your life. Well he called and I arrived with camera in hand , and would`nt  you know it she slowly raised that heave lid open and gave me this now famous picture of Debbie The Dumpster Diving Bear , about a week later the Rangers trapped her and cub , and removed her from the area far away . You know I sure miss Debbie ;)         

ColoStone

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 09:37:57 PM »
Click on the attachment of the picture and download it on your system for a better look , I have other shots of bears if you like this one
            Thanks
                Randy

Offline stickman

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 12:55:24 AM »
radiant heat

Gallery

Views:5049
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6250
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6603
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson