Forum > How To

Simple Flywheel Removal Tool for 90 Motor

(1/3) > >>

subrew:
I'm new to the site, but thought I would post a simple tool I built in about 10 minutes time (assuming you have a welder.)

It is just a fat washer with a large nut welded to it.  Three small holes drilled in the washer to line up with the three threaded holes in the flywheel.  Thread three bolts into the flywheel, then thread a bolt through the big center nut up against the snout of the crank.  I used a Subaru strut-to-hub bolt/nut, since I had a bunch of spares.  But a common 1/2-13 UNC bolt would work just as well.

I found it required very little tightening of the center nut to make the flywheel pop off, and this was on a fairly rusty engine.  I just used a medium size flat blade screwdriver between two of the small bolts to keep everything from spinning.  Minimal muscle was required.

Hope this helps someone.

Chris H.  

reed:
Subrew
On the puller be careful  not to turn the 6 mm bolts to far in, you can damage the coils inside the flywheel
I mark the bolts with paint 10 mm up on the bolt so i will only go as far as the mark etc.
Thanks.
Steve.
PS A good home made puller.

subrew:
Thanks for the note Steve.  I actually found a reference to that in the service manual, so I only threaded them in five turns.  After getting the flywheel off, I found the bolts hadn't yet protruded through the backside.

Chris H.

lhpegram:
Thanks for posting.
Going to give this a shot this evening

lhpegram:
So I finally got around to making my own flywheel puller and... it is NOT budging. The only thing I can think of is to use a thicker washer (as you can see it destroyed the existing one).

I've taken the retaining washer and nut off. What am I missing here?

Any help much appreciated!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version