Author Topic: WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STORE YOUR MOTORCYCLE FOR WINTER.  (Read 2728 times)

reed

• Trade Count: (0)
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STORE YOUR MOTORCYCLE FOR WINTER.
« on: November 09, 2010, 10:12:59 PM »
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STORE YOUR MOTORCYCLE FOR WINTER.
What is the best tips to store your motorcycle for winter.
Let me know.
Thanks.
Reed.

Offline BS Mechanic

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STORE YOUR MOTORCYCLE FOR WINTER.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 10:00:28 PM »
Everyone's got their own opinions on this subject, here's mine!

Add STABIL or a similar fuel stabilizer to the tank. Run the engine, or ride, for long enough to fill the carbs with the treated fuel.   Best is to then shut off the gas from the carbs and either drain them if they have drain screws, or if not, run as much gas out by running the engine as possible.  This reduces the amount of fuel that will evaporate over storage.  Ideally change the oil immediately before storage, so the oil is in the best shape to protect while the engine sits. 
Remove the battery and keep it on a "smart" charger, one that can keep the battery fully charged without overcharging.  This also eliminates any danger of acid damage to the bike.
Store the bike where it will be DRY all the time.  Many northern garages go through periods when the humidity is 100%.  Happens when warm southern winds penetrate a garage where the floor is still frozen and cold.  This can result in lots of moisture, rust and corrosion on the poor bike.  Even a little heat in the garage will help prevent this.  Worst is a dirt or gravel floor since they give off lots of humidity.  Better is an insulated concrete floor with even a little bit of heat.  Ideal is a dry heated concrete floor, even if it's only kept a few degrees warmer than the outside.
Make sure the bike is protected from direct sunlight, to avoid fading of paint, instruments and damage to seat and other plastic parts.  Not as big a problem as summer sun, but no sense in aging things while they are just sitting. 
Some people worry about tires and flat spotting, but I have never had this happen, I think bikes are too light.

Last and most important, is to keep the bike where it is easily accessible, you never know when a warm day will come along next spring, and you don't want to miss a chance to ride !!!

rocketman

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 07:43:55 AM »
All good points BSM. I think even with a gas stabilizer,you would be best off to drain everything,especially now with all the ethanol out there. I have heard two basic schools of thought re: the tires. Over inflate them to ward off the flat spotting,or prop the machine up so all the wieght is off the wheels and under inflate them. My personal experience has shown that when under inflated and left to sit for extended periods of time without taking the wieght off,flattening and dry rot/cracking of the sidewalls in particular occurs. With the wieght off and inflated,I have 30+ year old tires around that still look great,no cracking. I would think that an under inflated tire would be more likely to split upon re-inflation no matter what?  Mark.

reed

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 09:58:45 AM »
Mark
I am with you drain everything off but on the tires i allways had my wheels in the air and i would take off the tires
and spray WD40 inside the the tire rims put the tires back on put air back in and i never got any dry cracking.
If the weather got cold i would put a light bulb in a steel box and switch on to make Little heat around the motorcycle.
Thanks.
Reed.

Dave K

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:34:36 PM »
I still fill my gas tanks, but I fill with avgas. It doesn't break down, it doesn't gum and if it even sits for 10yrs. the gas will be good and the bike should need nothing gas related to start and run good. Down side is $4.65 a gal. I store everything with this in it. It is also great for your home generator.

Gallery

Views:4481
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:5649
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:5921
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:5926
Comments (0)