Author Topic: Overheating  (Read 1908 times)

alexm846

• Trade Count: (0)
Overheating
« on: July 06, 2019, 05:22:13 PM »
So I've been working on getting a 175DT on the road on and off for years.  Anyhow, did finally get it ride-able a year or two ago -- however, it was severely overheating (melted the exhaust bushings - yikes).  So I've finally jumped back on it recently, being suspect of the oil injection (seems to run/start fine so don't think it's timing related).  I had replaced the pump years ago (believe it was NOS from Relic), so i don't think I have ever taken the banjos off this thing.  Now I have pre-filled the lines, but i'm wondering if it could still be air bound -- I'm not sure how hard these things are to bleed.  I held the pump wide open idling and didn't see any change in smoke.  My other question is the the check valves prevent flow outward from the outlets?  I tried to suck through them and coudn't.

Thanks!

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Overheating
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 10:08:14 AM »
Sounds like you bought those crappy exhaust bushing sold on ebay from the seller:" djia " also know as Clauss Studios, while the parts look OK, the rubber is crap, just melts with any heat.  Their carb caps at crap too, soon as engine gets hot, they get sticky.
Jeff Bar

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:13:53 AM by Jeff Bar »

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 01:55:33 PM »
          If the engine really is running too hot and you haven't been misled by the melting rubbers, then with an old bike it's much more likely to be due to a fuel supply problem, IE weak mixture. Check tank vent, tap filters, fuel lines, carb jets, float valve and passageways, etc. If that doesn't sort it then check the ignition timing (too advanced) .
        If it's smoking it's getting oil, overheating unlikely to be due to lack of oil, it would quickly seize.

I'm not familiar with the 175 pump but the check valves stop oil being pushed back into the pump by crankcase pressure.  Pump internal construction may stop you sucking oil from the outlets.
 There were two types of check valve used on the 175, see Graham Weeks pump rebuild guide on this site for more info. Maybe one of our members can post a link.                            Brian
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

alexm846

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 08:24:45 AM »
Sounds like you bought those crappy exhaust bushing sold on ebay from the seller:" djia " also know as Clauss Studios, while the parts look OK, the rubber is crap, just melts with any heat.  Their carb caps at crap too, soon as engine gets hot, they get sticky.
Jeff Bar

So I think your right about this one - I did get them from Clauss.

Offline Jeff McBrayer

• Full Bridgestone Member
More crappy reproduction rubber parts. WARNING TO THE BS WORLD
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 09:04:06 AM »
I bought a Tora carb cap from Bill Buchholz as Richard was out of them.  While the cap looked decent ( not good). I installed it, ran the bike up and down the street, when I got back
the cap had melted all over the side of the engine.  Buchholz would not even answer my messages.    I messaged Richard and he sent me one the looks great, fit good and did
not  " melt" when I rode the bike. Be wary of mr Buchholz.   Jeff McBrayer
Great BS site

jjwithers

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 12:29:45 PM »
Make sure your timing is OK too!  I didn't... bike ran hot and detonated a piston!

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1363
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1694
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)