Author Topic: New GTR owner  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Gonzo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
New GTR owner
« on: June 06, 2009, 12:23:04 AM »
G'day all... greetings from sunny Queensland!

Just bought my first Bridgestone after having lusted for one for ages. It was very much an impulse buy. I'd resigned myself to the fact that I'd never, ever, not-even-within-the-vaguest-realms-of-possibility own one, and when I saw one for sale, well, my wallet jumped outta my daks and emptied itself all over the seller, all by itself!  ;)

It's a '67 in original and unrestored condition, 5,700 miles on the clock and hasn't turned a wheel in anger since, I think, 1983. Only about 50 GTRs were sold new in Australia, and this isn't one of them. It was imported from the US in 1995 and I'm the third owner in Oz. First bloke had the engine fully rebuilt as it had chewed a ring, including getting the barrels re-chromed. Second owner bought it about 3 years ago with good intentions, but about a week after the purchase one of his mates was killed on a bike. He lost heart in the whole idea and left it in his garage. I'm intending to get it back on the road for the occasional gentle ride with the local Hysterical Club (sorry, that should probably be Historical, ah well, close enough) where the blue smoke will no doubt cause much  >:( from the BSA and Triumph riding masses... even more so when they can't catch it!  ;D

I'm still tossing up whether to leave it unrestored or to get the chrome and paint redone. On the one hand, original is original, but on the other, well, they were such a pretty bike in factory-spec condition. Dunno.  ???

I've gotta thank Richard for supplying all the engine parts during the protracted rebuild two owners ago (all faithfully recorded in the large dossier of reciepts and correspondence that came with the bike).

Also - does anybody know if there is a suitable Bridgestone rear tyre to fit the GTR? They make a selection of fronts, but I'd really like to keep things in the family (so to speak). I've sent an email off to Bridgestone Australia HQ, but they don't seem to be answering. Maybe they don't know what a 350 GTR is?  :P

Looking forward to getting (and maybe giving, who knows?) lots of helpful advice!

-Steve.

rocketman

Re: New GTR owner
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 07:53:42 AM »
Great to have you aboard,Steve. You've got a good eye for quality vintage iron,thats for sure. I've seen a few Bridgestones owned by your fellow Ausie's. Its nice to know there's Bridgestone lovers everywhere. As far as your restoration desires,the bike doesn't seem to need much. Personally,I like anything original-espescially as clean in appearance as yours is. I guess its what you would term a line call. Once you start re-plating,etc.,its hard to stop. I can tell you're going to have a lot of fun with it! Take care mate! Mark.

Offline old smokey

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: New GTR owner
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 12:02:29 PM »
Gonzo,
Welcome to the world of Bridgestones. Nice looking bike that found you. I'd put a few miles on it before making a restoration decision. I'd probably leave it as is, but that's because mine doesn't look quite that nice.
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1691
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757