Author Topic: Bench Testing 350 Oil Pump  (Read 4289 times)

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Bench Testing 350 Oil Pump
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 04:09:31 PM »
           Are you sure the distributor valve is correctly timed to the main pump rotor as shown in Fig  94 in manual. (I'm sure you've checked it many times).   Ignore fig 93, no-one has yet worked out what that refers to !!
        See aslo service letter BSG-0059, Page 32 here -------  http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/PDF/BSServiceLetters.pdf
      Air being pushed back toward the pump suggests the checkvalve is not working correctly. Don't take the checkvalve out unless you absolutely have to or have already taken it out.  The 8mm threaded section is very weak and often breaks, that will cost you. Test it by sucking on the oil line, there should be no backflow whatsoever from the crankcase. Blowing forward, you should feel a slight restance, then the ball will be pushed off its seat and forward flow is allowed. 
      If not functioning as above, rinse the valve in kerosene until it clears. Don't put an airline on it, that will destroy the spring inside.                                                        Brian.

Would also add, is the flow of oil from the tank OK. Check the brass mesh filter on the tank banjo bolt. Can become blocked over time.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:42:59 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline davis

• Full Bridgestone Member
  • Desire for a better world.
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 10:09:30 AM »
My pump seems to be working fine on a running motor. Just came across the spec. Seems only 1 cc/min. is the flow rate at my 1,500 rpm test rate is all that I could expect (see engine manual pg. 76).

Offline Bridgestoneboy

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 10:51:21 AM »
The confusion continues....
I decided that I wasn't sure how much I trusted the one check valve, so I decided to switch it out with a second one I had, since you can only buy them in a pair from richard. After switching the valvue, the pump seemed to work great. I let the bike sit for 20minutes or so running, no air leak. I then took the bike out for a ride and came back no air leak. Came out and started the bike up again this morning, ran for about ten minutes, still no air leak. I walk back after mixing up another gallon of gas, there is an air bubble. The pump is not consistently sucking air, but on just rare occasion it sucks air. This inconsistency has me very confused. And yesterday I did reset the timing on the pump and double check everything....what on Earth is going on?   :o I feel if it was something to do with motor timing or vaccume leak it would be consistent and the bike would not run as good as it does.

Offline Bridgestoneboy

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 01:39:31 PM »
To add, the oil line from the tank is perfect and the line running to the left cylinder is perfect. I just took the bike for a test ride and it drew oil to both sides perfect. Yet as soon as I slowed down about to park it, it started drawing air ONLY ON THE RIGHT SIDE once again. It also seems that when I manually bleed the lines by lifting the lever on the pump, that seems to add a very tiny bubble or two.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2018, 05:23:14 PM »
           As air is introduced when you lift the control lever, check the pump back plate is still fully tightened (Black item that carries adjuster screw and has left hand thread). This can loosen when locknut is tightened or throttle is used.

As for air in right side line, logic says it can only enter the system between the distributor valve and the engine check valve otherwise it would affect the left side. My money is still on the banjo seals on the pump, does air appear at the banjo outlet. Don't trust the flat alloy washers to seal, better solution is 'dowty washers' that have a built in rubber seal. Banjo bolts can bottom out on their thread before washers are fully compressed. Hair line crack in the banjo ?, these are known to suffer degradation of the alloy under damp conditions.
      Beyond the above, I am stumped and suggest you try another pump although that could introduce further issues. Keep going, you are nearly there.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 05:35:20 PM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1691
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)