Author Topic: Help for an idiot  (Read 4276 times)

Royal Rick

• Trade Count: (0)
Help for an idiot
« on: February 28, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »
So guys, I have stripped my 90cc to the frame. I've painted everything that needed paint. I've found replacements for everything that was broken or worn out. I had the engine rebuilt. I bought new tires and had them mounted. I have three sets of parts from three different bikes, so I have duplicates on everything.

I'm now at a point of reassembly and I have three issues: 1) I did a piss poor job of tagging and labeling bits and pieces--I basically have a jumble of unmarked bolts, washers, nuts, screws, springs, etc. 2) I can't figure out what to do first, because I did not document what I was taking off as I was doing it and 3) I'm not a mechanic. So, I don't have the intuitive knowledge to figure out how systems work or that one gizmo logically connects to another.

I don't know what led me to think I could actually do this. I haven't even ridden a motorcycle in the last 45 years. But I've spent a lot of time and money and sure would like to get it put back together. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

In return, I will be happy to assist you with any needs you have in the world of marketing/advertising/public relations, where I actually have a skill set.

Thanx in advance for your help.

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Help for an idiot
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 07:36:15 PM »
First and foremost, do not panic. This is not an insurmountable problem. Things like bolts and nuts can be sorted by length and thread pitch. You'll probable need a good tap and die set and a thread gauge. This will be more labor intensive than the alternative, but stick with it. I am not a 90 (or smaller) guy, so assembly order and tricks should be left to them. These bikes are not complicated relatively (not a Ducati 750 Desmo, or a Kaw or Honda 4 cylinder). Ask alot of questions. The members on here enjoy helping.
...bert

Offline bsforever

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 07:46:44 PM »
Perhaps the download for the 90cc parts manual could help in some ways for identifying certain parts/bolts/screws/washers/nuts etc. ---> http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=82   Good-Luck hope it can help.   bsforever

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:45:11 PM »
Hey Brian (the Brit), if I recall correctly, you did a nice piece of work on thread pitches, lengths, etc, that could help our friend Royal Rick figure out  his basket of bolts. I did a couple of quick searches and did not find it, but I think posting it here would be part of what the doctor ordered. I recall that the bolt and screw part numbers include the length and diameter of the thread, but that's the best I've got right now...anyway, chime in when you see this. ;D
...bert

mqtsteve

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 06:40:23 AM »
Hey Rick,
I have photos of just about every part and system on the BS90's.  I'll share all the photos I have.  I haven't been able to post them to the forum since the site format changed.  Send me a private email and I'll send you what I have on the topic.  Good luck, Steve

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 07:10:58 AM »
           Rick,
                    The good news is that the 90 parts manual spells out for you, all the screw/bolt diameters and lengths in the parts description. BS didn't do this in later manuals (350). For those that don't know, the last 4 digits of the part number EG 0625 indicate the bolt diameter 6mm and length 25mm. They even indicate the outside diameter of the washers. That should help.
     But, bear in mind that all BS machines were built using Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) threaded screws. Only the 6 & 8 dia threads are interchangeable with modern ISO threaded screws. All the others have a different pitch thread and will not fit.  A pitch gauge is useful but not essential.
     The best guide is the post by Graham Weeks here :-

http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?topic=4020.msg22696#msg22696

I was presented with a box full of loose bolts, screws, washers, nuts etc when I bought my first 350 in a stripped down state. With a bit of common sense, investigation and the parts manual,  you can soon work out which bolts/screws to use where. If you have some parts left over, you've done a better job than BS and reduced production costs ! ;D :o............but make sure they are not important ones.  :'(
              Brian. 
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Royal Rick

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 05:51:05 PM »
Hi guys, I can't seem to figure out how to respond to individual messages but wanted to say "thank you" so much for the outpouring of support. I think I now remember why I didn't inventory the bits and pieces--it's because they are mostly so rusted and corroded that I didn't want to reuse them. I was planning to take the parts manual to Home Depot (they have a monstrous selection) and load up on all new stainless steel stuff. I didn't know about the pitch count thing, so that's a bit of a pisser, but sounds like I could find some replacement bits that are generic.

I'm thinking I might also order bits from Richard or someone else that has JIS stuff. As a last resort I'll try to clean up what I have.

In looking at the bike last night, I think I'm going to start with all the wiring and attendant pieces. That will reduce my huge pile of parts somewhat and as I figure out what nuts and bolts I need for pieces like the headlamp bucket that will reduce my pile of bits.

Thanx again and please keep sending any suggestions!

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 08:48:34 PM »
Home Depot is not your friend in this case. I don't expect they'll have much (or anything) you need. There are 3 alternatives: try Richard, try http://www.mrmegapack.co.uk (these guys have an awesome assortment in stainless and zinc. I've used them and they are reputable), or buy a gallon of evaporust to clean the parts up (works awesome) and use an Eastwood plating kit to re-zinc the fasteners.
...bert

Royal Rick

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »
Thanx for an election suggestion on dipping the parts. I have the soaking in chem dip now!

Royal Rick

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »
Hey mqtsteve, I can't figure out how to send you a personal message, but my email address is:

rick@patroninsight.com

I really appreciate you sending any photos you have!

mqtsteve

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 04:44:40 PM »
Rick,
I don't want a pm from the site, Email me.  I've got almost 800 photos of bikes/parts.  It would be easier if you have a question about a particular part or system.  Then I can send appropriate photos.  You should be able to use the parts manual and a metric ruler to figure out most of it.  Good luck!  Steve

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 08:27:38 PM »
Just wanted to say, this is how I personally want this site to work BS fiends helping BS fiends...Awesome!!
...bert

jbm

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 07:33:11 PM »
royal rick, btw I am just finishing up my second  BS90 restoration.
If you need help with anything, send me a message and I can help you out while it is all still very fresh in my mind

Offline srpackrat49

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 02:32:59 AM »
I work for BEER.... just send  me a airline ticket and put me up for a week or so and all the beer i can have and your on.. ;D      well wait?????? wait till summer.... 8)

Gallery

Views:218
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1360
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1755
Comments (0)