Author Topic: Engine oil  (Read 5673 times)

reed

• Trade Count: (0)
Engine oil
« on: June 05, 2010, 10:06:21 PM »
Engine oil
I would like to know what you think is the best oil out there like engine oil fork oil and two stroke oil etc.
That you used for your Bridgestones.
Thanks.
Reed.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Engine oil
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:30:23 AM »
Hi Steve,

Back in the day I used an oil called Crescent. It was from a small company I believe around Toledo, Oh. but is no longer available. Today I would use Klotz. I use it in all my racing engines running methanol as an additive to lube the top ends. They also have one for 2 stroke mixtures. Just my 2 cents worth.
Later Mike

bridgestonesforever

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:36:19 AM »
Check out Richards section on this site, it talks about two cycle oil, and other topics.  Luke

http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?board=31.0

reed

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:36:01 PM »
Motul oil
The oil i will used in my Bridgestone 350 gtr is Motul i have been working with Motul in the 80s and all the two strokes i have had
run very clean burning . Check out there web site!
Thanks.
Reed.

Offline Richard Clark BS parts

• Administrator
    • Bridgestone Motorcycle Discussion Board
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 08:39:43 PM »
If you guys would post information about the oil you are using, good or bad, I will update the section
linked below, to include your current information.

Questions? or need Bridgestone parts? call:

Richard Clark
812-944-1643  8am-6pm EST Weekdays
Richard  Clark, Owner and provider of this site
BRIDGESTONE MOTORCYCLE PARTS
New Albany IN

BS Shopping Cart- With just a few of my BS parts

https://6x6parts.com/bridgestone_motorcycle_parts/

Thanks
Richard Clark

bsparts@aye.net

Dave K

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:38:11 PM »
I am using the Yamaha lube that is listed in the list of oils, in my 175 DT. I don't have allot of miles on this oil, but so far so good. I became gun shy on Klotz back in '71 when I was running it in my 500 Kaw. I swear that was the reason that bike would eat pistons, but I didn't smoke, just smelled funny. I may try another good lube if I can get my oil pump to stop leaking. This seems to be somewhat common, IMHO. My brother picked up a 175 DT, his leaks the same place as mine. It is driving me CRAZY. These are Japanese bikes, not British.   ;)

Offline Gonzo

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 08:19:50 AM »

Personally, I use Caltex Revtex Super 2T, which is a premium semi-synthetic oil. It's cheap - $25 for 4 litres. It doesn't foul plugs. It's green (I love being able to say that!  :D). It seems to lubricate really well, especially compared to Castrol TTS - the bottom ends of Revtex-oiled bikes I've pulled down have looked like they've been dipped in honey, whereas the solitary TTS-lubed machine was dry and nasty with plenty of wear evident (fortunately, it wasn't mine). It was getting heaps of oil, too.

In my motocrosser I run it at anywhere between 25:1 and 33:1 depending on which jerrycan falls to hand easiest. It doesn't smoke much once it has warmed up. My mates all give me a hard time about running "mower oil", but I'm wearing out one ring for every three they go through. They foul plugs all the time (running Motul fully synth at 50:1), I haven't fouled one yet. I pay less for oil (Motul is about $35 a litre), less for maintenance and less for sparkplugs and they STILL pay out on me. Maybe it's because I keep nagging them to change oils?  :P

In my Bridgie I've been running it far, far too rich while running in (25:1 in the tank and the oil pump cranked up a few degrees above standard), but I haven't fouled any plugs. The bike starts first kick and the blokes I ride with have already started calling me "Smokescreen". Once I've put a few more miles on the bike I'll probably back it off to 100:1 in the tank and the standard pump setting, but while the engine is tight I figure I'm better off with more than less, and if it's not fouling plugs, well, why not? (Yes, I have fitted oversized main jets to increase the amount of fuel as well, the last thing I want to do is lean it out)

It's JASO FC rated. FD oils are available now, but they only have higher detergency, they don't lubricate any better, and of course, you pay a premium for them.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Offline Richard Clark BS parts

• Administrator
    • Bridgestone Motorcycle Discussion Board
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 10:52:01 AM »
Dave K and Gonzo

I have listed your recommendations on my TIPS page, for all to see what really works. That TIPS page is linked below:

What is everyone else using??

Questions? or need Bridgestone parts? call:

Richard Clark
812-944-1643  8am-6pm EST Weekdays

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:54:13 AM by Richard Clark BS parts »
Richard  Clark, Owner and provider of this site
BRIDGESTONE MOTORCYCLE PARTS
New Albany IN

BS Shopping Cart- With just a few of my BS parts

https://6x6parts.com/bridgestone_motorcycle_parts/

Thanks
Richard Clark

bsparts@aye.net

reed

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »
Motul oil
I had a motorcycle shop back in Wales uk and i was a Motul dealer and i sold a lot of oil and i used it in my z1900 and my h2b 750
 and my 350 250 Kawasaki with out any problems.But one think i will tell you the motorcycles i got from the USA when i put
the fuel in from the UK  these bike came alive.The fuel in the UK had along er shelf life but it cost alot more money!
Anyway that's my money worth.
Thanks.
Reed.

Offline Gonzo

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 04:17:17 PM »
I think a lot of the issues I've observed with Motul oil are user error rather than anything wrong with the oil.

Because it is relatively expensive, people try to run it as lean as possible (usually 40-50:1 or even up to 75:1) and while the engine doesn't sieze at those ratios, it still wears fairly quickly. Whereas with a cheaper (but still good quality) semi-synth oil you can run a more generous ratio and protect the engine a bit better, especially if the cheaper oil doesn't foul the plugs too easily.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:19:36 PM by Gonzo »

Gallery

Views:521
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1631
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1997
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:2044