Author Topic: Spray on chrome systems? Anyone tried one  (Read 5055 times)

Gizo

• Trade Count: (0)
Spray on chrome systems? Anyone tried one
« on: September 07, 2014, 04:14:59 AM »
Has anyone tried this or a similar system

http://www.gpi.com.au/alsa/products/cpaints-kc-chrome.html

Tim

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
Re: Spray on chrome systems? Anyone tried one
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 10:48:03 AM »
Do some searches online and read some of the reviews that show up. It sounds like the results people get may not be as good as shown on their website.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Redrust

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 08:14:08 PM »
I had a conversation with a local painter and car restoration guy. He had go comments about the kit you get for a spray booth but he only saw problems with a rattle can kit. A pro at painting cars can make an even coating on most surfaces. Rattle cans have a bad tendencies to drip and run all over the place.

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 03:50:56 PM »
I looked into this  a while ago as I could not find this in oz it was 150bucks or so and $800 for shipping from the u.s.  ,insurance etc for combustible material which was not viable .there are spray cans here now I have not tried .I looked into another sort which was the one on ebay with the helmet and the pump action bottle demonstration ,I don't have the link sorry.
the first question I ask them is it fuel resistant .the answer I got is it would have to be tested and the small pack ($200) is not designed for a fuel tank .
so what I gather is they want you to buy it now try it out with no guarantees. though they did say you can clear coat it.
I think the answer to chrome on the cheap is put the pennies away  and get a professional Quality chrome plating shop KNOWN AND TRUSTED   to do it and make sure they copper plate and clean your parts first   

premiumjo

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 12:32:05 PM »
I actually bought a roll of chrome vinyl (car wrap) that is really close to chrome. My plan was to two-tone paint it, (the silver paint where it was chrome was my back-up plan) then put the chrome wrap on. I liked the look of the metallic silver paint so much that I never used the vinyl. Pictures I've seen of cars with the wrap properly put on look very mirror-like. The upside is if it looks crappy, or doesn't hold up or whatever, it can be peeled off-no harm, no foul.  Maybe some day i'll wrap it just for grins to see what it looks like. Too much other stuff to do. Wish I didn't have to work for a living, I'd have a lot more time for the really "important" things in life  ;D

v330123

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 11:04:13 PM »
Gizo, when I got my 1971 MKII SS (krylon grey model in the pics) the rear fender was rotted away. I found a replacement on ebay. It too was pretty rusty. I had a local shop do the body work on the fender, then apply Spectra Chrome. That product can be applied over top of body filler, and whatever else the body man did. It looks similar to what you're considering. It looks good, but it's not quite like real chrome.

rocketman

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 02:37:39 PM »
 This type of system can give decent results, in limited applications, but its never going to be a durable Chrome finish. It was initially developed primarily for trick and graphic painters to use to incorporate a Chrome look in their work. Its very difficult to master-super sensitive. I use a similar system on model car parts with mixed results. The smaller the item, the better the results it seems. Its a reflective micro flake that is suspended in a clear base. The reason you spray the part black first is to give the flake a glossy reflective surface to shine off of. The reflection off the back of the flake combined with that of the surface, floating in a pool of clear, can give a very bright, "chrome like" appearance. So its possible to obtain a trick appearance with the stuff but Its only as durable as the material its made of. I've seen some super shiny chrome looking powdercoat recently. Hmmm.    Mark. 

Gallery

Views:2252
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:3358
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:3672
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:3726
Comments (0)