Author Topic: any tips on painting candy  (Read 3309 times)

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
any tips on painting candy
« on: April 27, 2012, 06:18:17 PM »
g day all thanks for all the input on the rust removal i started with clr and discovered pin holes i gave up on using anything corrosive as it was leaking across the chrome .i ended up using kbs rust blast a non corrosive rust remover from a kbs tank liner kit that i bought for $50 from a auto paint store that's $50 cheaper than any bike shop and did a really good job on heavy rust .at the paint store i was quoted for house of kolor approx $150 for the red $130 for the silver base these are 1litre .i didn't ask about the clear he said i can use any brand .seeing this is going to be a spare tank i was going to practice my spray painting seeing i can only spray paint black is there any tips and pointers for candy from prep to finish ,psi and type of gun cheers.  i still may get a professional to do this as i think the tank will be quite nice when finished
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:20:14 PM by coxy »

rocketman

Re: any tips on painting candy
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:18:51 PM »
 Coxy, Painting your candy will not keep it from giving you cavities.  Painting your tank with candy might prove to be cost prohibitive for you, especially if you are not already equipped to do so. If you don't care about the cost, I like SATA spray equipment. High quality, one of the best. Nason Select (Dupont) clear is a real nice product. Its reasonable cost wise, water white and 2 coat application. I don't know what the smallest amount packaged is or your availability. Candy can be difficult to spray too. You apply it in thin, even coats and build it to your liking. It pays to do spray outs or test panels to know how many coats gives you the look you want. It will be be fun to learn and only practice and error does that. Hvlp spray systems operate at approx. 43psi at the guns regulator, gives about 10psi at the cap. Air pressure and atomization affect the color, pearl, or in this case candy effects. Also the clears distinctness of image and film build. to really do it right, it gets involved if not complicated. Are you droppin the stuff off at the paint shop yet? Have fun.  Mark. 

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:38:31 PM »
thanks mark i am in two minds about the do it myself especially of the cost of the paint i also have 2 x175 tanks oil tanks and side covers to practice on  thanks for the info cheers
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:41:20 PM by coxy »

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »
i have been getting some quotes for paint the other day i was working next to a motorcycle paint shop so i went in to ask them for cost .while i was there i asked could they paint over chrome the answer was a flat out NO they wont touch it with a barge pole .he said the problem lays with the edges peeling.i remember a bloke from Sydney painting his 175 tank ,after rubbing back the chrome a little he spayed it by stepping the edge, every layer was bought in a fraction and he had no problems with peeling .i suppose this would be a painstaking   operation has anyone done this

rocketman

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 06:36:03 PM »
 Hi Coxy. From looking at the factory's work on these tanks, it appears they etch the chrome surface before laying down any color. I use one of several etching primers to insure adhesion. Etch primers are intended to leave minimum film build and with some careful masking and the use of plastic fine line tapes the primer is virtually undetectable at the edges. Excessive film build is a painters enemy anyway, so this is a case where less is more. Other members have recently had tanks refinished. If they know the shops procedures, maybe they will tell us the details and their results.  Thanks, Mark.

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »
the more i look into it the more i think i will get someone else to do it + its winter

Gallery

Views:3771
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:4951
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:5213
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:5253
Comments (0)