Author Topic: RESTORATION BUSINESS.  (Read 6881 times)

reed

• Trade Count: (0)
RESTORATION BUSINESS.
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:56:02 PM »
Restoration business.
All these really great restorations going on the Bridgestone site.
Every year more Bridgestones are on the road and i was thinking
I wonder if Bridgestone looks at this site and can see more of there
Models being restored,one day i hope that they will show interest
In there History of these truly amazing motorcycles.
Thanks.
Steve. 

Offline bsforever

• Full Bridgestone Member
Re: RESTORATION BUSINESS.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 11:11:21 PM »
My first thought of it is KOTARO !!! I would say that he is not a regular log in in this site, but if he does at some time and sees this posting, maybe he could have some insight about Bridgestone nowdays. If i remember , a while ago, he said he knew or had aquaintance with some of the original Bridgestone manufacturing personell. I am sure that Bridgestone has checked out this site.....i hope so anyway!  :)

Bikenstein

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »
I'm not really in tune with the motorcycle world today as I was in the 60's and 70's. In fact most modern bikes have little appeal to me. I would still love to see Bridgestone back manufacturing bikes. But they would have to build a line of 4-stroke bikes and I doubt that a modern 4-stroke Bridgestone would have anywhere near the appeal to me that an old GTR does. It would have to be a two stroke engine with a more vintage look than modern bikes. Based on this website and all the stoners here, their bikes would be a huge success. But as for the rest of the modern motorcycle world, I'm not so sure about what their interest would be. I do believe there is a possibility that 2-stroke engines can be made to burn fuel more efficiently and maybe even be able to meet the EPA's strict exhaust emission standards.  Honda is currently working in this area
 http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/honda-exp2-14293.html  Who knows? :)  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:19:23 PM by Bikenstein »

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 08:24:33 PM »
There have been two-stroke direct injection outboard motors that meet some pretty strict rules for waterways for many years now.  Honda and others are investigating the technology for the street, but it seems to me that it may not make economic or practical sense.  As engines decrease in displacement to boost mileage, the direct-injection two-stroke seems to make sense due to a higher power density.  However, the injection of fuel on every revolution increases the fuel usage.  There's a balance somewhere, but with the current development of the four-stroke, it is really difficult for an alternate engine design to gain a foothold.

Even though there are lots of Bridgestone enthusiasts on here, it's unlikely that they would ever support a new model.  Just think how difficult it was to get less than 200 people to sign up for a few hundred dollars for crank kits to keep the current GTO/GTR's running.  It would make it pretty tough to justify spending 100 million dollars to tool up a new model.  Remember how many times people have tried to resurrect Indian, Norton and a few others and failed.  There are lots more enthusiasts of those brands than of Bridgestones.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Bikenstein

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »
The crank kit deal was really impressive to me. I think the interest in Bridgestones is dying out with us but, who knows? :)

reed

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 10:37:45 PM »
In my opinion the more Bridgestone that are restored and back on the road.
Is just more interest for people to want one just like the Z1 or H2 they came
Back to life and everybody wanted one,and there will be new people that will
Find out about Bridgestone because of this site and will want one, and there
Might come a day that you will sell your bridgestone and a new generation
Will run with the Bridgestones,it will go on Bridgestone day is yet to come!
Thanks.
Steve. 

Bikenstein

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 10:06:22 AM »
Thanks to the members of this site and others, the ressurection of Bridgestones seems to be in full swing. But there is no way of telling how much interest there is. The guy I spoke with yesterday who has the collection of over 13 bikes for sale was anonymous to this site. He still had a connection with Bridgestones back in the day and I think, that in order to sustain interest, the next generation needs some lasting connection of sorts. So I guess it's up to serious stoners like Richard, Ray, Reed, Mopar, Kotaro, Mike, Coxy and others to accomplish this. I know when I get my junkyard dog GTR runnin, even it will help a little, though I doubt it will ever come close to bein as pretty as the others. I wonder how many members of this site are under the age of 50. Maybe somebody could do a poll. Who knows if some wealthy eccentric stoner might attempt to tool up and build a new model? Even if it was an unsuccessful venture, it would still produce more collectible bikes. As OldSwartout pointed out, there have been attempts by others to ressurect old brands. At any rate, I'm happy to own my GTR and happy to know there are others out there. :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:35:17 PM by Bikenstein »

rocketman

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 03:36:51 PM »
I think the interest, the popularity and the recognition has been slowly growing right under our noses. The steady increase in the membership roles here prove out the growing interest. The prices being fetched and the awards being received go to the popularity and recognition. How many Honda's can you look at in a row? When theres a Bridgestone being shown, theres always talk and lots of interest shown. I know several young guys who are already restoring and dealing in vintage bikes and the interest is in all of this bygone era's machines including Bridgestone. Popularity always runs in cycles. Look at the renewed interest in vinyl records among younger generations who were born long after the hayday of "vinyl". You have probably heard of bridgestone being referred to as the forgotten marque. That's because it was a significant manufacturer at the time. Enough so that it was emulated and copied to a certain extent by the other manufacturers of the day. When compared in a show setting to the other Japanese makers, the Bridgestones stick of the crowd. Their beautiful design and quality of manufacture was second to none. At that time there were 5 top Japanese manufacturers. I'm confident that had they continued, Bridgestone would still be considered part of that group. I don't think anyone here actually believes this marque will ever be revived, but it would be nice to see the Bridgestone Corporation do something to publicly recognize their heritage as Reed suggested. I think its great to see the recognition put forth recently by the show at Mid Ohio and to see classes now at shows for Bridgestone by manufacture just like the other major marques. So with all the interest of the up and coming motorcycle hobbyists to spread out and cover all the vintage marques, I can only see Bridgestone becoming more popular. At any rate, keep up the good work guys. (our stuff looks goooood!)  Mark. 

schlusselmensch

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »
Oi, that front mudguard looks a bit suspect! Is it just perched on the tyre?

reed

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 10:14:21 PM »
Ken,
I just had the fender bracket A there, i was waiting for the arrival of the  fender stay A and B etc.
Thanks.
Steve.
P S can you get wine gums in boxes!

schlusselmensch

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 09:21:29 AM »
Which brand do you prefer?

Ken

reed