Author Topic: Ballpark Value for my 175 Dual Twin?  (Read 6447 times)

paul25g

• Trade Count: (0)
Ballpark Value for my 175 Dual Twin?
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:09:08 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm considering selling my 175 Dual Twin and need some help in coming up with a ballpark value (other than the fact that it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay on a given day  ;))  I wouldn't really want to sell through Ebay and probably don't want to hassle with shipping the bike, so I know that limits me somewhat.

This is a 1966 Bridgestone 175 Dual Twin.  It 's as close to a matching number bike as these get....frame, tag and engine number are within a 20 odd numbers of each other.  I stripped the bike to the frame during the restoration.  The frame and all the white pieces have been powdercoated.  The front and rear fender, wheel hubs, kickstart lever and gear change lever have also been powdercoated.  The exhaust system and rims have been rechromed and all spokes have been replaced with NOS.  The rear brake lever is NOS chrome.  All rubber parts have been replaced where necessary.

The engine was disassembled, cleaned and repainted.  The inside of the cylinders are in great shape.  Original pistons were fine but I did put a new set of rings in.  Oil pump has also been replaced with NOS.  I also put a new set of tires on it, a new NOS battery and a new seat cover from PitReplica.  The bike starts on the first or second kick and all electrics work.

The bike has 300 miles on the rebuild, though the odometer shows 20 something because I just repaced it with a NOS one from Richard.

I also have the original license plate frame, original complete tool kit and an original owner's manual.  Bike has a clean title in my name.

If I do decide to sell, I would also include a rolling frame 175 dual twin parts bike and a bunch of spare bits and pieces including carbs and a generator with the deal.  It is basically a frame with the wheels and a locked up lower end 175 motor.  There is no title for the parts bike.

I think this sums up the major points.  The only thing I would do to it yet if I were to keep it would be to get the front and rear fender, kickstarter and gear change lever rechromed.

What I'm wanting to do is get a R60/2 or R69S BMW but my wife says I've got to get rid of a bike before I can get another  :-\.

Anyway, still not sure I want to do this, but would like to get an idea of what to ask if I do.

Thanks for any help!

Paul
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:16:00 AM by paul25g »

ztnoo

Re: Ballpark Value for my 175 Dual Twin?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
Paul,
The bike looks really, really nice!

If its any help, NADA has some pricing for this bike which one might be able to use as a reference.
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1966/Bridgestone/175-DT-FRONT-OIL-TANK/Values

1966 Bridgestone
175 DT (FRONT OIL TANK)
Excellent     $2890     
Very Good    $2175    
Good    $1285    
Fair    $855    
Poor    N/A

I know of a 175 in northern Indiana which had been listed numerous times on and off on F.W. Craigslist for $2,000 for about a year.
To me its either priced to high for its condition, and/or there's just no local interest.
If you (or anyone) isn't willing to ship a bike, then this is what you can run into. You can kind of wind up in a black hole in the marketplace.

Regards,
Steve

paul25g

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:39:21 AM »
Thanks Steve!  One good thing is that I'm located on the way to Mid-Ohio for anyone coming from the west.  Interested in more responses too, so keep them coming! 

Thanks again guys!

Paul

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »
Paul,

Shipping, from my understanding, is usually the buyers responsibility. I wouldn't put anything in your ad that sounds negative to out of town/area buyers like "must be picked up locally".  You might want to state "willing to work with buyer on shipping", even if that just means you suggesting a shipper to them.

I used uShip to have 2 350's shipped from Nebraska to Texas and the seller had to do nothing other than opening the garage door so that my shipper could get the bikes and load them up.

Good luck with your sale.

Mike
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

paul25g

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
Thanks Mike, I'll keep that in mind.  I could definately deal with that type of shipping experience, thanks again!

Paul

Offline old smokey

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 07:43:08 PM »
I was going to offer a guess of maybe close to $2000. I have not watched for prices of 175s and a buyer can say it's not all stock (color, etc) and offer less. Cost of shipping will factor in for the buyer, but shouldn't really matter to you unless your only offer is far away and you really want it gone.
From my recent experience, I think as a buyer I would shy away from haulbikes.com UNLESS the buyer lives near Milwaukee WI. If not living near Milwaukee the buyer is going to wait for long haul truckers to make the pick-up from you and take it to Milwaukee, and another long haul trucker to take it from Milwaukee to final destination. Prices aren't much more than uship.com, but the wait could be longer.
Haulbikes.com does not require fluids to be drained nor any crates made, and uship is probably the same. 
I would probably start with craigslist and here to see if any buyers respond.
I hope my $$ guess doesn't offend your expectations.
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

paul25g

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:02:20 PM »
Old Smokey,

Don't worry, you won't hurt my expectations....I just wanted to throw this out there and get the best estimate possible and I know this is the place to do that.  I really appreciate everyone's input and look forward to more responses, thanks again guys!

Sno Jet

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:36:41 PM »
There was a decent running original 175 that sold on Ebay for $950 recently.  I believe the engine was original also and had not been gone through.  Pretty good shape overall.  It was in NY state. 

Your bike appears nicer.  Gives you a idea of demand out east.  Bridgestones were not the most popular bikes out this way.

paul25g

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 08:09:59 AM »
Thanks Sno Jet, this is giving me a good idea of the value ranges!

Offline edward

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »
WOW!! So, rebuiling BS's is really for the fun of it. It doesn't look like there is much profitability in referb. and selling one unless it is already in pretty good shape and doesn't need much work or you hold on to it for another 40 years. I think I already have about $1K in mine and haven't touched the engine yet. And I know that will need some very serious work.

paul25g

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 10:43:21 AM »
A labor of love!  Much like restoring any old vehicle unless you really luck out!

Chrome and paint are the big ticket items at least in my experience.

But I knew all this ahead of time, it wasn't about making money but I just wanted to get an idea of what I could hope to get back out if it if I do decide to sell.  It was defininitely a fun project and a good learning experience and one more relatively-rare motorcycle saved from the junk heap.

Offline edward

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »
I know what you mean. I have never messed with motorcyles before this one and it's very easy and strightforward. Surprizingly, the parts are still pretty easy to find. The fact that the shifter can change patterns is very unique. I've talked to several guys who have ridden for a long time and they have never heard of Bridgestone or rotary shifting. I hope that I can get this one running soon but the pistons seem to be stuck in the cylinders. I haven't really looked into the engine much yet. I was just geting it looking good first to keep me motivated.

paul25g

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 03:29:33 PM »
Here you go Edward, a pic of what I started with.............

Sno Jet

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »
What ever works for ya!    No turning back now.  It's not a fun hobby after it becomes a business of making money.

Bikenstein

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 08:40:49 PM »
But it can be a fun hobby of making money. Just not a lot of money in my case. ;D

Gallery

Views:1527
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:2620
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:2994
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:3027
Comments (0)