Author Topic: New (to me) 175 Hurricane Scrambler in Los Angeles  (Read 5484 times)

jjwithers

• Trade Count: (0)
New (to me) 175 Hurricane Scrambler in Los Angeles
« on: January 28, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »
First Time Posting Here. 

I recently acquired a 175 Hurricane Scrambler. 

I am somebody who has history restoring 70's era BMW motorcycles but this will be my first 2 stroke. 
It runs, barely.  I have to hook a charger up to the bike for the electrical to turn on.  After many kicks, it will turn over and run but I think the generator isn't working.  It won't run without the charger hooked up. 
The Compression feels good and though.
Forks are leaking bad.
It needs new tires, battery, the sleeves between the carb intake tubes need replacing, etc...
I'll probably rebuild the carbs and check out the wiring. 
is there a way to test the generator? 
I plan to get it running and then do a full cosmetic restoration.  Any advice, tips or help would be appreciated. 
I have the clymer's manual and I plan to study up in it. 

-Josh (in Los Angeles)

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: New (to me) 175 Hurricane Scrambler in Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 04:49:27 PM »
Hey Josh. Welcome to BS Nation.
http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?action=downloads;cat=1
Follow this link to find service and parts manuals. Keep asking questions. There are lots of willing and able helpers here. Good luck!
...bert (in AZ)

mqtsteve

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 05:00:20 PM »
Hey Josh, 
Nice looking bike!  I'm not sure I've seen a 175 in black?  Looks like you got a good one.  Is that your BMW(?) in the background?  Looks great too!  Good luck with your project, Steve

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:52:29 AM »
 I have to hook a charger up to the bike for the electrical to turn on.  After many kicks, it will turn over and run but I think the generator isn't working.  It won't run without the charger hooked up.  

Follow the wiring diagram in the manual and check resistance back through each of the three windings in the alternator. With it running, you can also check out the AC voltage from each of the three leads. Next, check the rectifier (this is likely the problem). Moisture tends to get to the junctions in the rectifier over the years.  There is a test procedure in the service manual and in this thread: http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?topic=3066.0 .  You can make a new rectifier using some Radio Shack parts. The 350 and 175 rectifiers are identical. Use the search function to find related threads.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:57:15 AM »
BTW, nice looking BMW in the background.  Are those rollers in the floor a dynamometer?
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

jjwithers

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 11:35:31 AM »
That BMW is my first cafe bike that I built back in 2008. 
I built a few of these since:
http://beemersandbits.com/shanes-silver-r755-cafe/
I work with a guy making custom BMW bike parts and his shop has a Dyno room.  He Supercharges BMW cars.
Anyhow, thanks for the tip on the rectifier.  I'll look into that first.  I might dig into the bike a bit today...

BTW, nice looking BMW in the background.  Are those rollers in the floor a dynamometer?

jjwithers

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »
I got her running but I need the battery jumper hooked up to it... so I will have to look into the rectifier next.  thanks for the tip.

^^^ this was the first start up where it would run for more then a few seconds. 

The left side would fire, and the right wouldn't so I realized that the carb was gunked up preventing fuel delivery. 
I cleaned out the right carb, and that side worked, then the left side didn't.  So I cleaned out the left side... and vice versa, then that side worked, and the first side stopped. 
So then i realized that there wasn't enough spark.  I closed the gaps on both spark plugs and they both fire now. 
Maybe the coils are weak?

The engine feels really responsive but it is blowing lots of smoke and... the exhaust isn't on that tight and lots of gunk is seeping out the exhaust...

I don't think the head needs to come off but I am open to suggestions.    It seems like the two sides are not synched up as smooth as they should be. 
Again, suggestions are welcome.

The hard part is finding the time to smoke out the neighborhood and make lots of noise without pissing people off. 

-Josh

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 12:12:44 PM »
First, there will always be smoke. Just a question of how much. If there is alot of liquid leaking out of the pipes, the float(s) may be needing attention (sticking?/adjustment). If the plugs look wet then suspect a rich mixture (or weak coils). A 2-stroke tuners work is never done.
 ;D
...bert

The other thing to consider is how much oil is being delivered by the pump. There is an adjustment section in the manual (page 42). The newer synthetic 2-stroke oils help to reduce the smoke as  well.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:21:35 PM by slawsonb »

jjwithers

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »
By the time i had both cylinders firing and adjusted the mixture screws (to come close to matching), there was a TON of smoke.
I checked the floats when I rebuilt the carbs and they seemed OK.  But I don't know the standard float height setting. 

And... damn this bike is LOUD! 

The oil in the bike might be super old.  And i know my gas was old too.   I'll flush them out and have another try later in the week.

Gallery

Views:220
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)