Author Topic: Clutch Not Engaging  (Read 904 times)

Offline Stoneman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
Clutch Not Engaging
« on: July 09, 2022, 02:22:54 PM »
Have had my 350 GTR running for a couple months now and have put on about 150 miles. I’ve thought the clutch could stand some adjusting and I did that yesterday. After adjusting the lever screw and the adjuster at the bottom of the cable, I fiddled with the adjusting screw. After loosening the nut, the crew turned inward 1 to 1 1/2 full turns before contact, far more than recommended. I backed it out the spec 1/4 turn.

Problem is after these adjustments the clutch will engage very little— barely enough to move me and the bike in 1st gear. I tried further adjustments with no success. Today I again tried full adjustments, turning fully in both the lever adjuster on handlebar and main adjuster at bottom end; again turned the adjuster screw to contact then back 1/4. Adjusted the cable adjusters to proper spec for free play. Did not make a difference.

I then removed the side cover for the front chain sprocket to look at the end of the clutch cable and arm that pushes the rod that supposed to disengage the clutch plates. I can see the rod pushing inward 

This bike has less than 5000 originally miles and I doubt the clutch has ever been disassembled. What are your suggestions for next steps? Can the clutch itself be stuck in the disengaged position? I don’t have the special tool required for disassembling the clutch, but with some effort can probably make one as I’ve read others have mentioned on this forum.

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can offer.

Steve

Offline Stoneman

Re: Clutch Not Engaging
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 02:45:53 PM »
So here’s a little update.  Removed the clutch cover and I see it move out when clutch lever is pulled and close when lever is released. When lever is pulled in I can rotate the clutch assembly by hand. When lever released the assembly will not rotate by hand.

Offline Stoneman

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 03:52:27 PM »
So another update and question. I can see that pulling the clutch lever on the handlebar pushes the center rod with with the big, flange head outward thereby pushing the plate cover out disengaging the clutch. I then removed the plates and found two of the plates with ears on the outer edges were broken and in a few pieces. UGH! Fortunately, I bought a set of plates from Richard a couple months back after reading replacements are as scarce as hens teeth.

So here’s the question. Given replacement plates are nearly extinct and not at all inexpensive, should I install the whole new set of plates recently purchased? Or, is it possible to simply replace the two broken plates with new ones and Hoosier the remaining new ones for another day?

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 11:31:35 AM »
Personal opinion - put them all in. They'll last thousands of miles, so unless you're going to ride a lot of long trips, you'll never need more. Save the unbroken old ones, in the outside chance a new one breaks, replace it with a used one.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline Stoneman

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 12:20:38 PM »
Thanks, Karl, you have recommended the same plan I’d pretty much decided go with.

Gallery

Views:351
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1480
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1817
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1881
Comments (0)