Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT NO STD PARTS ON BRIDGESTONE  (Read 3960 times)

reed

• Trade Count: (0)
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT NO STD PARTS ON BRIDGESTONE
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:54:45 PM »
What do think about no std parts on Bridgestone.
Like stainless steel spokes or diffrent type seat.
Lower handle bars expansion pipes etc.
Let me know.
Thanks.
Reed.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT NO STD PARTS ON BRIDGESTONE
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 08:32:49 AM »
I put stainless steel spokes on my 175 road racer (originals were breaking).  I used Buchanan spokes.  They were $228 for both sets, unpolished.  Polished would have been more.  I just left them unpolished (they are reasonably shiny anyway), but polished my aluminum rims and the hubs.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Dave K

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 09:49:45 AM »
I think it depends on the originality of your project. If I had a bike that was totally non-original and the cost of searching for the right parts became an issue. Go with a custom. The original part is long gone anyhow. Personally, I love orginal bikes or restored to orginal. Common sense though also rules when it comes to returning one to original. I would also love to find an affordable, titled, 175 through 350, that would allow me to have my way and make the little cafe bike of my dreams. I would work toward reliable hop up items and killer riding position and fairing. JMHO

BSOrion

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:34:14 AM »
Gents,

I view prospective bikes as follows:

a.  The collector - a bike as original as possible with few, if any modifications... the purist's dream.  A bike that, as is or when finished will continue to increase in value.

b.  The custom - a bike that I purchase and build/modify for me (as the name implies).  Few have the stones, know-how, and/or creativity to build customs that are or become desirable.  But, who cares if resale is not an issue right?

c.  The beat-around - a bike that receives just enough attention to keep it rolling.  Not much emotional attachment here!  But, the right person and motivation could make it an b and possibly a c. with enough time and money.

d.  The dog - a bike which, well... is a heap, junk, wishful thinking, beginner's mistake, etc.  Otherwise, a parts bike!

I've spent most of my life on c's and yes, I'll admit d's.  I could never afford to get into the "a.-bracket".  I've been trying to get into the custom stuff lately but am plagued by environmental factors which will hopefully change within the next year or so.

Orion

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 10:07:57 PM »
If you have a GTR/GTO that you are thinking of customizing call me first and I'll buy it from you and then you can go out and buy an old POS Honda or something and paint skulls or Ghosts of dead indians or whatever on it.

I view a custom bike as an exercise in style or art, and most are just terrible. Racers or cafe bikes are not customs in my book, and are loaded with functional tech features that have the sole purpose of winning races. Race results judge if a modification you made is worthy, and a race bike evolves over time. You may know little about racing but I'll bet you are literally stopped in your tracks when you happen across a race bike or cafe that even a baby can tell is the real deal. Some of those bikes are almost terrifying just sitting still and command respect. Most people make jokes about customs.

Bridgestone gave us a blank canvas with the GTR to go the race bike route. A close ratio six speed in 1967? Move the shifter to either side? Adjustable rear suspension? Chrome bores? Rotary valves? Dual carbs/dual coils? Are you kidding me... you're gonna put a chopper seat on it and throw out the iconic race seat? Maybe some ape hangers....

I'll stop... I'm just funnin'   ;D
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

reed

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 11:17:07 PM »
Toystoretom
When the bike is done you can go on TV with the AMERICAN CHOPPER BOYS and throw tools at each other!
Only joking.
Thanks.
Reed.

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 09:39:08 PM »
I'm pretty good at throwing tools...  ;D

There is a GTR racer in the specials and customs gallery that is pretty tasty if you ask me....

http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=329

Just to start with, I wonder what kind of frame that is? I see some special made engine plates to adapt that 350 motor in there. There is a high dollar front brake on that thing (Drool Drool)

I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

Gallery

Views:2310
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:3426
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:3736
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:3778