Author Topic: Restoration Interruptions  (Read 6856 times)

BridgeBrit

• Trade Count: (0)
Restoration Interruptions
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:26:26 AM »
I've found myself contemplating, as my partner has pointed out another three things that need doing before I can go and "play with my bike," that apart from working full-time, a never ending list of gardening and DIY obligations, plus family committments and life - it's a wonder ANY bikes get restored, EVER!

Does anyone else have the same experience? And any good solutions! I've booked off four days in a week's time for some Bridge and me time but the last time I did that there was a staff emergency and I ended up having to go into work instead.

Maybe retirement is the only answer ... but nah ... I bet retirement just means more chores :-)

How do you guys do it?

Offline Mike Anderson

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Restoration Interruptions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:01:22 AM »
Brit,
From my own experience I can tell you that it is easier to complete projects after retirement. The only problem being that you also have more time to generate projects. That being said your Bridgestone inventory will multiply much faster than your restoration completion if you get my drift.
Good luck in your decision making process.
Later Mike

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »
What's worked best for me in the past, is targeting one piece of the project to focus my attention on while at the same time having several backup ones lined up should a problem or something else pop up that delays me. It's just a juggling act.

Right now, being the sole caregiver for my 85 yr. old mother doesn't leave me a lot of time for actual hands on work but it does allow me time to start rounding up parts and that's what I've set my sights on and am plugging away at it. At the same time, I'm asking questions here in anticipation of problems I may encounter while also starting a list of possible vendors for work I know I'll have to outsource such as chroming, powdercoating, etc.

So I guess what I'm trying to say, is just do what you can when you can and before you know it, you'll be zipping down the road with a big grin on your face!
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

BridgeBrit

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:00:35 AM »
Thanks guys.

Mike, you are so right about the growing list. I am having to be really tough on myself about wanting to add to it. Something did slip through recently (Simson S51 Comfort) but the only way it managed it was because it was currently running AND Taxed and MOTd.

And Moonpup, yes, I guess that's the only way to go. I do find myself thinking I have a couple of hours spare, and can go take the carb apart or refurbish the fuel tap - there are lots of little jobs that can be done. I think it's just for me, as a first timer, they take a lot longer than they might do later because I have to do them more slowly and research them and document them so that I haven't forgotten how to do something by the time it gets to putting the big bits back together. I shall keep plodding on. Thanks for your input.

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
hey bridgebrit insomnia always comes in handy for getting things done 

Offline old smokey

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 09:29:49 PM »
BridgeBrit,
Tell me about it ::)
It is 75 degrees today in southeast Wisconsin (a record high for this day).
I left the car parked in the drive so I could work on the bikes in the back of the garage.
Dinner is over.
My wife tells me she wants to move the patio furniture from the upper deck to ground level.
Before that even starts she tells me she wants 2 tree stumps dug out below ground level to fill with dirt and plant grass seed.
That project is half over when she tells me she wants me to start a bonfire so she can burn leaves.
As it's dark and we're watching leaves burn she says "isn't that nice to get done, now you can work on the motorcycle tomorrow when it's raining."
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

BridgeBrit

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
Sorry Coxy and Old Smokey, only just seen your posts.

I'm so knackered from work at the moment I have the opposite of insomnia. And Old Smokey, I hear, ya! It's those kind of lists that really eat into your time. But I have a new plan. I've created micro projects, like Moonpup suggested, so even if I only have a little time I can at least do something. Although as a newbie at this and having moments of aberrant stupidity, even the smallest tasks take a while. Just got to remember the stories of the tortoise and the hare.

Thanks for your input, guys!

Stella

Offline farmerdl

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 04:33:20 PM »
I don't know guys, but I've been retired going on two years and seem to be busier now than when I farmed full time.  Some of it has to do with less efficient use of my time and some  with the fact that my retirement was brought on by shoulder surgery that took the better part of a year from which to recover fully. Couple that with a major building project (new house) and as like I said less efficient use of time et voila... However, now my wife said I should have a new shop so there is hope.

farmerdl

Offline stickman

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 07:32:21 PM »
I do yard work etc in the evening but do bridgestone stuff and a few cocktails after 9pm till 3 or 4 or 5 in the morning. Been bar hoping on the Harley last night and maybe tues nite also
Stickman

Bikenstein

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 08:33:20 PM »
I work as a tube welder during power plant shut downs. I ususally do 2 or 3 in the spring and 2 or 3 in the fall. The outages last 3 or 4 weeks so I'm only workin 16 to 18 weeks a year. We work 6-10s to 7-12 hour shifts and make a ton of money in a short time. This leaves me with the rest of the year for home projects and my bikes. I've tried full time jobs and my own businesses. Too time consuming.

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 02:50:40 AM »
i have just taken on a second job so that means now that the weather is finally good 10-14hr shifts Mon-sat and 10hrs on Sunday the stones will be siting idle for a while 

Bikenstein

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 07:29:54 PM »
For those who have a long honey do list, you might wanna try this. I've made a deal with my wife to keep a little peace. Everytime I buy a new bike, I pay her 40 bucks and everytime I sell one, she gets another 40. Since I started this, she doesn't mind at all when I bring a new bike home and even encourages me to spend time working on them. Of course she knows when I work on the bikes I keep for myself, but doesn't give me any problems or remarks like before. And occasionally I still do the repairs and renovation projects for her. It's working great, although I've heard her mention an increase in her "fee" a couple of times.

Offline old smokey

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 08:20:15 PM »
ah, never mind....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:34:42 PM by old smokey »
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

BridgeBrit

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 06:18:05 AM »
That's pretty funny, Bikenstein! Not a bad idea, though.

Bikenstein

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 07:24:25 PM »
I'ts working good for me Bridgbrit. I'm workin out of state again and just got off the phone with my loving wife. During the call,she asked if I had anything on back of the truck and I sort of skirted the question because there is a 73 OSSA MAR 250 Trials on it and I've only been gone 2 days. But if I didn't have this policy in place, I can tell you I would have a problem when I get home, loving wife or not. ;D

Gallery

Views:2952
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:4096
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:4400
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:4435
Comments (0)