Forum > Engine

Looking For 1321-5000 (EA1-13151) Crank Pin

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jeff McBrayer:
You never see master engine builders cranks that are rusty, much less saying its better.

I guess that is why Mercedes AMG   builds their hand made engines,  in those dirty wet buildings   Ha ha.  Just kidding.

Jeff McBrayer

slawsonb:
Brian, if the pin is derusted and the OD smoothed back to its original diameter (polished) I would expect much longer life than you have forecast. I have personally used wrist pins with similar pitting with good results (back in the day when Rockford was defunct and no parts source was available). The key is to get all the rust and get the pin smooth.
...bert

moonpup:
Gotta remember folks, my reply was based on the fact that the 2 main sources for these no longer have this part and while this one isn't perfect, it's still better than nothing.  8)

dcr:
Good point Mike - I have purchased a number of "less than desirable condition" parts that replaced the part I didn't have at all or was beyond use. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

It's possible to use something that's not perfect in this type of situation if your not racing the bike, using as a daily rider or looking for sustained max RPM's. You will have to weigh the risks. It's not ideal to use any used parts when doing engine rebuilds, but when a new one isn't available...... you just make due.

You could probably have one made at a machine shop if you had a donor to give them for specs -I have no clue what the cost would be.

Or you could continue to look on ebay to see if a usable looking crank comes up. I think the 90 and 100 use the same part number.

Im curious to hear from guys Like Mike Anderson on this topic. He restores a lot of bikes so he must have an opinion on something like this.

bsracer:
Getting a crank pin made is not as easy as you would think. If the orig replacement isn't readily available you may want to look for and alternative from another application. I've been kicking around getting some custom center crank pins made for my 175 racer and just picking the material is a chore in everyone having their own opinion on what material would work best. Measure the old pin dimensions and look for something close that's available for another bike and modify.

paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version