Author Topic: Steering Head (Headstock) Adhesive Info Sticker - Did BS use them?  (Read 5455 times)

kleindorf

• Trade Count: (0)
One thing I have never resolved is whether Bridgestone used a sticker on the headstock as an information site.Some of the other Japanese manufacturers used a metal tag or a silver foil or white sticker with model,serial # and displacement info on their bikes.Did Bridgestone use this I.D. method? I would like to reproduce exact copies for restoration purposes like my GTR if anyone can answer this.Thanks.Greg.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Steering Head (Headstock) Adhesive Info Sticker - Did BS use them?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:30:28 PM »
Greg,

This sticker is on the front of my 350 GTO. It has the year of manufacture as well as the vehicle ID number.

I inquired about reproductions in this thread I started but got no responses. Sometimes it's like pulling hens teeth to get a discussion going here, but lord knows I try!  ;D

http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?topic=2233.0

Anyway, If you or anyone else decides to reproduce these, I'll be the first in line for one.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:45:28 PM by moonpup »
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

paul

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:39:31 PM »
I think the head stock stickers were on the last models sold about 1970 or 71. The sticker may have been a federal requirement.

whitegto

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 08:30:55 PM »
My GTO is a 71 and it sure doesnt have nor looks like it ever had a headstock sticker. Maybe it varied for different states?    John

paul

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:40:12 PM »
Was your BS originally sold in the United States?

whitegto

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 04:45:09 AM »
Yes , imported about 10 years ago as far as i know.  cheers John

kleindorf

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 03:18:43 PM »
Thanks to all for their input.My guess is that Rockford added the stickers at their warehouse(s) like Berliner Motors did with their brands to comply with U.S. Federal law.I seem to remember 1968 as the year the Feds enacted all sorts of safety/emission laws for the auto industry which I think spilled over into the bike world.I will try and get my sticker guy to design a replica sticker based on the photo as accurate as possible.This will be a long lead time so you guys will be the first to know if I have a prototype.IF ANYONE has an original that is fairly intact/complete (lost it's adhesive properties) that I could use a sample let the forum know.Thanks,Greg.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 03:44:50 PM »
Greg,

I have to remove the decals on mine before powdercoating, so if I can do so without messing them up, I'd be glad to send one as a template for your guy.

Would he be able to put the "Date Made" & V.I.N. # on these or would they just be generic copies w/o that info?

Mike D.

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »
my gtr doesn't appear to ever had one either

kleindorf

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »
Dear Mike,I think if you use a heat gun on a low setting the adhesive will soften enough if you're careful and patient to allow it to be peeled off.Be careful if it does peel off not to let it fall back onto itself and bond together.If you can get the sticker off or even a good portion that should suffice.You can then stick the sticker on a piece of wax paper or similiar so it won't be damaged further.I have been making/selling repro foil stickers for bevel drive Ducati twins and singles for many years and the sticker allows for stamping the info into the material.I think this would be the way to go to give each bike its own serial # and model prefix.Maybe not exactly 100% correct but it would fool everybody who didn't know especially a pesky DMV official etc.Lets see what we can do in 2012.Greg.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »
Greg, thought I'd pop in and let you know that I haven't forgot about this, just haven't had the time to try to get the label off yet.

Btw, if someone could get you a good original example, would you also be able to reproduce the little adhesive backed stickers that were on the tools in the toolkit?

Mike D.

kleindorf

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 02:27:06 PM »
Mike:My sticker guy would need a fairly intact original of any sticker he could attempt to repro.If you're successful with getting your sample off I can forward it to him for evaluation.The tool stickers are new to me...were they small ones stuck to the tool itself? In any event the lead times for these esoteric projects is quite long i.e. 6 months +.FYI I have a project in the works for repro rubber bumpers on the 350 seat bases.When they're ready Richard will have exclusive rights to sell them.Best,Greg.

Gallery

Views:1725
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:2802
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:3178
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:3208
Comments (0)