Author Topic: I thought Bridgestone only made tires?  (Read 8240 times)

Redrust

• Trade Count: (0)
I thought Bridgestone only made tires?
« on: June 23, 2014, 03:17:38 PM »
Thought i would ask about the other people on the site about their experiences when their bike gets recognized. It's got to be very common for people to not know what the bike is, but that's just my experience.

I have run into several instances in just this summer alone that made me feel proud to have brought this bike back to life. Over the weekend i had a fire truck stop by the side of the road just to ask about the bike because the driver had one when he was young. Even at work I have had a guy who got out of his car and instantly recognized the bike. I even had a 57 Bel Air owner stop and ask about the bike. He asked the exact question for this subject. I can't wait for this weeks cruse night.

Online moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: I thought Bridgestone only made tires?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 03:32:45 PM »
I wish motorcycles were the ONLY thing they ever made! 

Do a basic search on eBay, Google or wherever and and you'll have to filter through tons of tires, golf equipment, bicycles and who knows what else to find the motorcycle stuff.  :o   sheeeech louise  ;D
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Online moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 06:05:48 PM »
BTW Bert, I know you would add to your parameters if you searched all the categories but using yours and mine as is, I got these results in "all categories"...

slawsonb - 11,904 hits
moonpup -   4,989 hits

The difference between the two in "motorcycle parts" was only 10 less using mine.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 07:05:09 PM by moonpup »
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 06:16:03 PM »
vely intelestink! and frustrating...
 ???  ;)  ???
...bert

Offline edward

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 06:46:58 PM »
Me too!!
  I am always surprized at the number of "hardcore" looking riders that have never heard of or seen a Bridgestone. And when I explain to them about rotary shifting lever on the side of my 175 DT... blows thier mind. It's at that point I become proud to say, not only that I own one but that I have re-built one single handedly (OK, Ok with the tremdous help of this group). Then, like a proud Papa, I break out the pictures on my phone. Instant admiration.
  I have also realized that there are a LOT of posers out there who go out and buy thier way into it and dress the part but have no idea what they are riding or how it even works.

Redrust

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 12:35:52 AM »
I never understood why people buy things and use them with no understanding of what they have. You would think that you would read up at least a little on what's between your legs.

in all honesty I can't say much more about any other bikes than a Bridgestone and I don't have all the answers ether. basic knowledge makes the roads safer also so everyone knows the limits of their bike and more so themselves. I know that a big Harley way to big for me but my 175 is just perfect for me right now.

Offline srpackrat49

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »
Yup I know what ya meen.... I belong to a bike club out here in the northwest of the USA.... OVM... Oregon Vintade Motorcyclists... I took my 350 GTO to the clubs bike show in may..... I had folks that had never seen one and guys that said they have been comeing to the show since 1988 and my bike was the first one they ever saw there...... and yes i was a proud guy for that... i got my first stone back in 1965... did farm work and that was my ride... and i did out run the cops a few times on it.... my first dirt bike to go over corn feilds..... never got busted and all the roads were gravel... so you had to  ride like ya stole it......

Offline dcr

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 04:00:02 PM »
Went to local Harley shop that has been around since the 50's looking for a tube. Told the guy I was restoring an old Bridgestone - he thought I was restoring an old tire. He said the same thing - "I didnt know they made bikes".
1966 175 DT and 1968 350 GTR

Offline srpackrat49

Getting the GTO running ??????
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 05:15:27 PM »
Well its like this... Took the bike out for the first time this year...  Went to put gas in... there was rust everywere in the tank....This is y you never put E-2 gas in your bike... Put new gas in...  Gave it a good kick.... starts up.. but hand grip does not move.. gave it a twist... now something goes bad.. pops and goes full tilt wide open.. Now i get to find what got busted and look for new parts.... Right... first i have to fix the bike before i can ride it.... is it me or does this stuff happen to other folks too ??????? ??? ???

Offline Mopar392

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 06:15:49 PM »
Oh Hell Yes, we all have a day or 2 like yours, just pour another pint and keep moving forward arpackrat...
Lee

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 08:05:49 PM »
Well this might make you feel a bit better yesterday I was testing the new front wheel tire brakes etc for the show in two weeks .excelerating stopping etc on the brake and ran over a piece of plywood which tuned into a ski crashing into my 175dt and triumph .no damage to the bonnie or tje175 but I cracked my good right carb cover bent rear brake lever broke right brake purch scrapped right muffler  on the gtr also smashing my pride mind I was at walking pace
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:39:08 PM by coxy »

ziggy stardust

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 05:14:25 AM »
My God Coxy that's bad news, you couldn't have had a more expensive incident if you had done it deliberately.

I feel for you, you must be gutted. :'(

Z

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 09:17:13 AM »

That reminds me of a time when I was on apprentice wages and everything went on keeping my pride and joy, little Aermacchi 250 on the road. Put a new headlight and rim on it, one time, went for a run and the front wheel skidded out on some gravel as I came to a stop. Bike went down gently and I was able to step off. Guess what was the only item to get damaged !!    Yeh, sh*t happens, usually when you least expect it.
 Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »
This crash does almost sound "scripted" to do the most damage. Really sorry for your misfortune Coxy. Hope the recovery is swift!
...bert

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 12:55:33 PM »
most of the damaged stuff I have spares except for the carb cover   .the front brake perch I have borrowed from the 175 and have a new one on the way all of my mufflers are now in the same shape . am just glad the seat and tank are ok .
lee guttered is pretty well on the money after a huge dummy spit (tempertanty) I nearly cried .   

Offline srpackrat49

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »
Posers !!!!!   Well ive been rideing and working on bikes since 1964 or so..... Painted my first bike frame in my bedroom on my bed...  i did put papers down first...... Thats when i learned the saying,,,  overspray.... the hole dam room had a glow of my paint color... Mom was not happy.... have been building race things for 30 years or more.... and being a VET... Navy 1968.... they just piss me off...   i,m getting to put some of my bikes up for sale soon.....   You should see the looks i get when they see 7 or 8 bikes parked infront of my place.... and i put the GTO out there too.... But i get the best look when i start up a 500 thumper by HAND and i do mean with my hand... Then i ask the HD types to give it a try with kicking it... NOPE  they wount do it...  Well its time for more coffee and back to the bikes.. ::)

Gallery

Views:1642
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:2735
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:3110
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:3140
Comments (0)