Author Topic: After New Plates, Clutch Not Disengaging Enough  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Stoneman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
After New Plates, Clutch Not Disengaging Enough
« on: August 07, 2022, 05:29:30 PM »
This is a 350 GTR, earliest clutch design. With new clutch plates in I thought I was close to dialing in the clutch lever adjustments. After 10 or so miles, the clutch lever does not disengage the plates much at all. Now I suspect I have all the adjustments out of whack. The clutch adjustment screw baffles me. I’ve turned it all the way in and 1/4 turn out. But truthfully, I’m not sure what “all the way in” means because the lock nut seems to engage before the screw is seated.

How do I get back to a place where further adjustments make sense? The starting place, so to speak.

Help very much appreciated.

Steve

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
Re: After New Plates, Clutch Not Disengaging Enough
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 07:48:35 PM »
Are the 1/4" ball in the clutch adjustment actuator and the 10mm long dowel between the long pushrod and the short pushrod on the clutch end? If either is missing, you won't be able to adjust the clutch properly. If you were able to turn the adjusting screw all the way in and it still didn't release, it's likely one or the other is missing.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 10:16:47 AM »
   Karl may have the answer above but it seems strange the clutch worked for 10 miles before going out of adjustment. Could just be the new plates bedding in but check the clutch centre hub nut or the 40mm ring nut on the basket have not come loose. Clutch will rub on the outer case if basket comes loose.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline Stoneman

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 09:05:21 PM »
I’m hoping I have the clutch engagement sorted out now. I was pretty sure both the short dowel and 1/4” ball were in placed before putting the clutch back together, and it did operate OK for about 10 miles. My suspicion is I didn’t have the lock nut properly tightened and the adjusting bolt backed out a bit causing the lack of engagement problem. Or, as BRT-GTR suggested, the new plates were just settling in. Regardless, I found the adjustment screw far out of adjustment, much too far out.
In order to get it all back in order, I removed the left chain sprocket cover so I could see the action of the clutch lever, and I removed the right cover to see the movement of the clutch pressure plate moving in and out with the pull of the handlebar clutch lever. I then completed all adjustment points, testing engagement by moving the bike while in first gear until all felt good. A short test ride proved the “pudding”. Could be more fiddling will be necessary as I put some miles on the new clutch.

Special Note: A big thank you to Old Swarthout and BRT_GTR. You guys and maybe a couple others have been a big help getting my 350 in decent enough shape and back on the road. It’s sad that so few people are contributing to this forum and I fear it is wasting away. What would invigorate this valuable asset? I’d be willing to help if anyone has ideas worth discussing. And if Richard Clark would let us know why he has seemingly abandoned selling parts through this site it would help sort our the problem. I drool over the photos of his parts collection and get discouraged over the lack of response when trying to order parts.

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 09:06:28 AM »
Stonemason

I agree mar people need to use this board, as I would not want it to be taken down for non-use reasons

Richard announced on this board, that his parts were being taken off the market for personal reasons.

He is still providing this site and hopefully he will return soon

Jeff Bar

Offline 68SR

• Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 01:02:17 PM »
Did you soak them overnight before installing them?

Offline Stoneman

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 03:16:25 PM »
Did not soak plates. What would they be soaked in?

I’ve had the clutch engagement problem solved for several weeks now and everything is fine. The primary problem was clutch adjustment screw was way out of adjustment.

Offline 68SR

• Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 03:45:30 PM »

You soak them overnight in whatever you're using in the gear box.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 08:05:36 PM »
Don't soak 350 plates, it is a dry clutch outside the gearbox, the plates won't like that at all.  Soak plates for all the other models, they have wet clutches.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline disc valve

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2022, 04:50:16 PM »
I had a similar problem.the experts on this sight pointed out the dry clutch short comings ie more rapid wear compared to a wet clutch.the hub gets quite marked/grooved up by the plates and careful filing improves the action

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1363
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1694
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)