Author Topic: BENCHTOP BLASTERS.  (Read 7389 times)

reed

• Trade Count: (0)
BENCHTOP BLASTERS.
« on: October 05, 2010, 08:30:39 PM »
BENCHTOP BLASTERS.
Has anyone use the benchtop blast cabinet from northern tools.
I would like to do some small blasting parts etc.
But i may get a bigger one.
Let me know.
Thanks.
Reed.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: BENCHTOP BLASTERS.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 09:11:36 PM »
I got the big floor cabinet from Harbor Freight and for the money, it's hard to beat. You can usually get them on sale for $200.

It's kind of addicting once you start blasting things and if you start off with the smaller bench models, it won't be long before you'll want something larger. So unless you have some sort of space restrictions, I'd go with the biggest you can afford.
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

reed

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:29:26 PM »
Moonpup
Thanks i will check Harbor freight out!
Reed.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:33:33 PM »

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 09:36:49 PM »
Also, this should help you out when deciding what media to use for different types of metals and jobs.

http://www.nortonsandblasting.com/nsbabrasives.html

reed

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:40:10 PM »
Moonpup.
What size air compressor are you running!
Thanks.
Reed.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 09:45:15 PM »
Moonpup.
What size air compressor are you running!
Thanks.
Reed.

Ingersoll Rand 5-HP 60-Gallon Single-Stage Air Compressor - SS5L5

Puchman66

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 11:51:40 PM »
I have to agree with bigger is better.  The parts you put in it don't simply have to fit in the case, you must also have to manipulate them and turn them at all sorts of angles for the blasting to be effective.  Because I do a lot of automotive work I need a pretty large one.  I can get a radiator in mine but I can't access certain areas and I certainly can't turn it around in there.

A media blaster is one of those tools that once you own you ask "how did I EVER get by without one of these?"   I use the hell out of mine. 

I used an old-school 5 horse 30 gal craftsman (220V) compressor for a long time and it worked pretty well but anything less will disappoint you.  I have a big 60 gal now that I like a lot better.

You may want to invest in either a dust filter set up or a simple vent system.   If you don't vent somehow, the dust will build up quickly and obscure your vision.  I bought a vent fan made for this purpose and piped it out the side of the garage and it worked fine (loud though). 

Somewhere I found a really cool air driven fan that fits the vent fitting on the side of the box.  I moved before I had a chance to try it out so I don't know how well it it will work but I'm hopeful.  When I get moved into the new house and get my shop set up I will try it out.  Sadly I don't remember where I got it.   :-[

rocketman

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 10:28:05 AM »
 I have a similar,if not the same unit Moonpup. I use an old 10 gallon utility vacum cleaner to clear the dust from the cabinet. I got it at a flea market for 10.00 I think. It was still in the JC Penny box and looked new-from the 70's judging by the artwork. It replaced a new Sears wall vac that lasted just till the warranty expired. It has been in place for 5-6 years now. The interior light gave out quickly and I replaced the power source/transformer with one that was laying around. It lasted maybe another year. I now have a simple,inexpensive under counter flourescent inside the cabinet with the wire fished up through the intake vent hole. You just have to open the cabinet to turn it on,and be careful not to break it while turning a part. Works great. Mark.

reed

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »
Thanks everybody for the help on the benchtop blasters.
Reed. 

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 11:19:15 PM »
After you buy the cabinet, then you have to buy different blast media:  sand (not plain silica sand, use the black stuff, it's safer), glass bead, walnut shell, soda.  Adds to the cost, then it's a pain to change back and forth.  You'll find the part you need to do will always require a different media than the last job, so you'll have to change it.

I use my shop vac to clear the dust, it's noisy, though.  A smaller vent fan would be better.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

reed

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 10:00:10 AM »
Karl
Thanks for the input on the cabinet and the media etc!
Reed.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 03:05:16 PM »
Ever since I got my cabinet, I too have used a shop-vac for clearing the dust out. It was a quick easy way to get started, but it has its drawbacks.

Like Karl said, it's noisy as all get out and I have to wear ear plugs while working for any length of time. Also, the shop-vac's filter will clog up quickly if you're not paying attention and before you know it, you've burned up the vacs' motor! ( ask me how I know this  >:( )

I use to use sand when I needed a coarse media to quickly remove heavy rust & paint but it's just messy and made way too much dust. I've now switched to Aluminum Oxide and while it costs a little more than your sands, it's much cleaner to work with and does a great job on the tough stuff.

I've been thinking about switching to a vent system for dust control and was wondering if anyone here is currently using that system. If so, would you share with us what setup you have and maybe attach a few pics. I'm interested to know what works out there.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 04:43:15 PM »
I use to use sand when I needed a coarse media to quickly remove heavy rust & paint but it's just messy and made way too much dust. I've now switched to Aluminum Oxide and while it costs a little more than your sands, it's much cleaner to work with and does a great job on the tough stuff.

It's probably not much of a problem for a home user, especially if your cabinet is vented outside or into a shop vac, but regular sand causes silicosis with extended exposure, which is why the aluminum oxide is recomended.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 06:17:16 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out, I forgot to mention that added benefit to switching over to aluminum oxide.

Gallery

Views:1832
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:2923
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:3280
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:3319