Forum > 50, 60, 90 & 100 Talk

Mountain 90 rebuild

(1/2) > >>

tjinkins:
So,
I broke the kickstarter shaft off on the oil injection 1966 mountain 90 that I was rebuilding.  I got a new one from Richard, tore down the motor and reassembled it with the new shaft.  After I got it together I mixed one gallon of fuel 20:1 with 2 stroke oil, added it to the tank and tried to start it.  I got it barely running with alot of smoke, and then I couldn't get it to start.  I am pretty sure that it was getting too much oil so I have cleaned out the mix fuel and added straight gas. I can get it started now but it runs poorly and still smokes alot. I probably have too much mix fuel still in the tank.  This brings me to a couple of questions.
1. How do I set up the carb?  The manual says to turn the air screw out 1 and 3/4 turns.  Does this sound okay for 3000' elevation.
2. Where should I set the throat slide to begin with? There is now reference to this in the manual.
3. How should I set up the oil pump for the oil injection system.  The manual suggested turning the adjustment screw out 3/4 turn past where the pin in the pump touches the cam plate.  This is too high for my bike.  Any suggestions?
Richard, I hope your new site works well, we will see if I get any replies.
Thanks

Mikey:
I would think it would be carb problems or timing issue. Has it been sitting long? I wouldn't think it is a fuel ratio problem. Just my two cents.
Mikey

hmmmnz:
i'd have to agree,
clean out your carb and try again,
im not sure how the autolube system works on bridgestones work, so can't comment on that.

good luck

Dave K:
Could the transmission seal be bad also and the engine is sucking trans. oil out of the trans. and trying to burn it?

tjinkins:
Dave K,
The more I think about it and mess with it the more I think you are right.  I think it is getting transmission oil and burning it.  If I take it apart and put new seals in it, what seals do you recommend that I put in?  It doesn't appear to be leaking any oil on the drive side. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version