Author Topic: Bridgestones on eBay U.K.  (Read 6875 times)

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Bridgestones on eBay U.K.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 07:01:45 AM »
                Well spotted Z,............ I don't believe this. 5 small Bridgestones on ebay in the Uk and they're just down the road from me. It's my Birthday today (it really is) that puts the icing on the cake.        Someones collection?? ???, anyone know where they came from.  

So guys, given a choice which one would you go for , I like the look of the Sequoa green TMX but not those nobbly tyres.
 Brian.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:06:39 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 11:09:15 AM »
My vote's with the 100 GP.
...bert

Offline dcr

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »
I looked over every picture of all 5 bikes. I'm trying to find a defect which could sway my voter one way or the other. Haven't been able to find anything so I'm going with personal preference - The 100GP gets my vote.

Someone put a lot of time and money into that collection.
1966 175 DT and 1968 350 GTR

Online moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 11:56:33 AM »
These may be part of the collection that was to go from Australia to the UK that RayK posted about in this thread.....

http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?topic=3905.0
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline Mopar392

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 12:08:06 PM »
Think you hit it squarely DM, now a broker is offering them, he has many more other cool rides for sale too...DL

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 10:01:04 AM »
Hi All,
             I went to have a look at the bikes on Monday. Gary Mitchell at the shop was very helpful and happy to talk.
      Much to my surprise these machines are from the collection of Brian McDonough, well known BS enthusiast here in the UK. Unfortunately, Brian has has suffered a stroke and has sold off his collection. The bigger machines went to a collector in Reading ??,  I believe.
     The bikes are really very nice, almost certainly complete in every detail but understandably after nearly 50 years, not perfect.  Some corrosion on petrol caps and other minor items. The tanks appear to have been resin lined without first derusting. The paintwork is exceptional, done by a chap who used to paint Bentley cars and it shows. Some of the rubber parts are showing their age and odd cables seem to be a bit long. They would need tidying up and a quick fettle but I am sure all of them would run.     
        Prices seem ambitious, they are overly aware that these bikes are rare/unusual in the UK and I guess they are looking for a collector who will buy at any price but they are open to offers. It was suggested they may ship the bikes to Japan if they don't sell here.
       Some good news. Gary also knows Bill Smith, former Bridgestone importer in the UK back in the 60's. He is alive and well and has just celebrated his 80th Birthday. Apparently, he is still often to be seen at his dealership in Chester.

Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline dcr

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 11:55:40 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bridgestone-BS90-Deluxe-Motorcycle-brand-new-and-unused-a-unique-opportunity-/261942476673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cfcfcff81

I saw this listing last night. Claims to be an original bike with only 3 miles. Has a couple of pieces missing.
1966 175 DT and 1968 350 GTR

ziggy stardust

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 05:47:44 PM »
No buyers to date for these superb little bikes and to be honest I'm not surprised. Small capacity bikes don't sell well on the U.K. collectable market no matter how rare or well restored or original they are when the price is high. If they were a third of the price and a little rough then they would stand a good chance of being sold and some money then spent on them.

I met Brian McDonough last year when visiting his home to buy some GTR parts and I'm sorry to hear of his misfortune, he showed me the racing Bridgestones he had in his garage and mentioned he had a collection elsewhere and that he would be gradually selling them off.

Not long after I saw he was selling an immaculate and very rare Fuji step through motorcycle on eBay from the late fifties at a similar price to the Bridestones, it never sold.

Z

ziggy stardust

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 07:10:30 PM »
Further more Brian I 'Google Earthed' the bike dealer in Preston as we're up that way this weekend and may call in for a look at the Bridgestones, I recognized the shop from our last visit there and remember I bought two new Arai crash helmets, one for me and one for the wife.

Some one from the shop asked us if we'd seen the news as what he'd seen was unbelievable, we hadn't at the time.

It was the 11th of September 2001.

Z

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 06:02:05 AM »
Hi Z,
        You will like the little Bridgestones, got your eye on one ?
     If you're out Blackpool way, you are more than welcome to drop in for a brew and a chat. If you have time we are about 30mins from Preston. Ring me on 01253 882109 if you can make it.
    regards,  Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.

ziggy stardust

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 06:09:04 AM »
Hi Brian, thanks for the invite. We hadn't intended to go so far north west but one never knows.

Z

ziggy stardust

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 05:43:41 AM »
Brian,

Was in Fleetwood on Sunday and gave you a call, no reply so left a message.

Z

Gallery

Views:5060
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6265
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6620
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:6672