Author Topic: MY BRIDGESTONE GTR IS RUNNING.  (Read 30308 times)

ztnoo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: MY BRIDGESTONE GTR IS RUNNING.
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2012, 04:53:46 AM »
Who did the chrome?
What did the mufflers cost you?

Regards,
Steve

Offline CL-100

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • CL-100
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2012, 08:20:46 AM »
Looks really good all put together.  Glad to hear it started right up.  I love the smell of a running two-stroke.  Especially, one that's burning Klotz. 

reed

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2012, 07:15:45 PM »
Shelbyville plating did the chrome work on the exhausts.
If you need any work done the number is 317 398 7040.
Thanks.
Steve.

ztnoo

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2012, 03:53:51 AM »
Steve,
What were your costs to get them rechromed, including shipping?

Regards,
Steve

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2012, 03:38:19 PM »
whats klotz

Bikenstein

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2012, 04:12:42 PM »
Coxy, the Klotz that CL100 is talkin about is their 2-stroke bean oil. We used it in our gokarts. Works with alcohol better than other oils. Smells good, just don't follow somebody burnin it cause you might get heartburn ;D

Offline farmerdl

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2012, 04:40:02 PM »
Back in '70 or '71 ( the dark ages) I used Klotz in my GTR.  If I remember correctly it was a synthetic two stroke oil.  Is this the same company?  Same oil?

DL

Offline Mike Anderson

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2012, 06:07:57 PM »
SAME oil

reed

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2012, 09:14:26 PM »
Steve,
There was no cost for shipping because good friends from this site where passing by my house picked up the exhausts and delivered them to Shelbyville plating when the job was done they where picked up, and somebody else delivered them back to me.
The cost to chrome the exhaust depends on the condition of the exhaust some take more work than others so there is no firm price.
Thanks.
Steve.

ztnoo

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2012, 09:47:55 PM »
Huumm..........well that's sufficiently vague..............
What's the big deal about saying what you  paid???
 ::)
Is it a big international secret???
I'm sure others might be seeking a reference point too.

Maybe you got a pricing break and you don't care to discuss it.
?

Not trying to be the bad guy here...............just seeking some REAL info about rechroming cost.....
I'm sure you could be helpful......
Right???

Regards,
Steve

reed

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
Steve,
Give Shelbyville a call 317 398 7040 its not that far from you!
And see if he gives you a price, like i said my exhausts where in good
condition and he looked at them and gave me a price!!
Thanks.
Steve Reed.

Bikenstein

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2012, 10:10:58 PM »
Huumm..........well that's sufficiently vague..............
What's the big deal about saying what you  paid???
 ::)
Is it a big international secret???
I'm sure others might be seeking a reference point too.

Maybe you got a pricing break and you don't care to discuss it.
?

Not trying to be the bad guy here...............just seeking some REAL info about rechroming cost.....
I'm sure you could be helpful......
Right???

Regards,
Steve

Ya know Steve, I kinda agree with you sorta, cause nobody I know of on this site has ever told what they paid for chrome. If I get to the point where I get my chroming done, I'll let you know exactly what I paid or why I can't tell you. Unless there is somethin I'm not aware of that forbids me from talkin about it. ;D

reed

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2012, 10:35:09 PM »
Dave,
When it is time for you to have your exhaust chromed,the problem is the price may be different to mine.
Because your exhaust may be better than mine that means less work on your exhaust your
Price is less than mine, some people might not understand that and get upset because i paid more
Than you or you paid more than me,( you can say what you paid for your exhaust that's your business.)
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline BS Mechanic

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »
Steve is exactly right, there is  wide variation in the amount of work needed for each specific piece.  This is also why chrome shops frequently won't quote you a price until you ship them the parts so they can actually look at them first. 

For a point of reference, it cost me $500 from Browns last year for the pair of mufflers for my 350.  The mufflers were pretty rough, lots of peeling chrome etc.  They did a super job.  Not cheap, but quick and perfect.

As another reference point, Shelbyville did all the parts for my shocks, the front fender braces, and a handfull of bolts for $200.  Quality was very good. 

Bikenstein

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »
Finally, thanks BS mechanic. That gives me  a reference point. I feel pretty sure I can have my mufflers chromed for less than 500 if I clean and strip them myself! I know every shop will have different prices and part conditions, shape, size and volume play a big role in determining costs. And if people don't want to discuss what they paid for something, that's fine. But ANY info on this subject would be gratefully appreciated. I'm not trying to pin down a price, just get a rough estimate from others current experiences. With enough info I can possibly determine whether to buy an nos part or used part instead of paying for rechroming. If a part became available and it fell approximately in the range of cost of rechroming an original part, I would probably be better off buying it since the nearest chrome shop from me is about 60 miles. Steve, I appreciate that you don't want others to get upset over varying prices but I know of a couple that have been upset about no one discussing prices. ;D I dealt with chromers in the sixties and early seventies. It seemed you got what you paid for. The cheaper guys did a poorer job. I got a little education about the chroming process that helped me determine which shop to use. Most of the work I had done was newly fabricated custom parts or painted parts. The shop I used would have probably required me to thoroughly clean a muffler before they would allow it in their tanks. Their prices varied also depending on delivery time. If you left your parts for several weeks they would do them at a better price as fill in work. Really I know the bottom line to get a firm price is to take my parts to the chromer himself and allow him to inspect and evaluate them and give me his current price. One thing that has always been true is that it's expensive.

rocketman

« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2012, 11:30:57 AM »
I couldn't agree more with Reed and Bob. Prices are way too subjective. This is a product with no fixed costs. I've been restoring bikes, cars, tractors, bicycles, furniture, and toys for over 30 years. For me to tell you what I paid would mean nothing. Every plater is different to the point of producing differing finished product. Costs run the gamut from coast to coast and shop to shop. My item WILL BE a different price than yours from the same plater. I've been charged wildly different prices on two or more of the same exact item from the same plater. If your counting on paying the same as someone else did, you are just setting yourself up for possible disappointment. Only way is to contact the plater and find out what is required by the shop to give you a price. I also don't care much for the open discussion of costs or value of used bikes. For the most part, we are not appraisers. Again there is just too much to consider. What a perfect GTR sells for on the west coast to an uninformed fanatic will have zero bearing on what you can realistically drain out of one on the east coast or central states. Too much talk about costs and harping on what the west coast bike brought can be damaging to our hobby. It can quickly and falsely raise the price of bikes, parts, and services. I can't count the old and sometimes collectible motorcycles, automobiles, etc that I have seen horrendously overpriced by the owner after seeing a perfect one bring a high price. Only to then see the same item years later being carted off for scrap because there was never any possibility of a sale and it had turned to complete junk. Unfortunately the same thing happens to parts. There are too many of the mind "if I can't get what the other guy got I'll scrap it". Never considering condition or that the "other guys" buyer got snookered and grossly overpaid. I would also add that if a plating shop gives you a fixed price, part unseen, you should probably check a few other shops. So if you guys want to divulge values and your costs, that's your personal preference. Remember it can be a double edge sword. Mark.

Offline BS Mechanic

« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2012, 11:57:02 AM »
We've wandered pretty far away from the original discussion, so I've stared with a new one, go see "Chrome" to continue!

Gallery

Views:4990
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6192
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6500
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:6534
Comments (0)