Author Topic: Getting tank chromed  (Read 2637 times)

ridered

• Trade Count: (0)
Getting tank chromed
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
Can anyone tell me if its OK for the plater to dip the tank where the inside will get coated in the process.
Mike
I took my concerns to the plater and he assures me the inside of the tank will come back as it was bare steel. Don't quite understand how that works since he will be dipping the entire tank in the various solutions uncapped. I was worried about he inside of my tank looking like the unpolished areas of say the inside of a headlight bucket or fender underside for example. Can someone shed some light on the subject and are my concerns about possible engine damage from these metals mixing with gasoline something to worry about.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 01:18:11 PM by ridered »

Offline Mike Anderson

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Getting tank chromed
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 07:49:45 PM »
Hi Mike,

This is a message from Mike Anderson regarding your tank plating concerns. I have had one gtr tank plated and a couple dozen go kart tanks. I have never had any problems with fuel contamination after plating. Most platers are quite careful in how they handle fuel tanks when they plate them. If you have any concerns after you plate it and start to use it just run a couple inline filters for a short period of time and then remove them for inspection. Hope this helps you and good luck with your bike.
Later Mike

ridered

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:23:23 PM »
Thanks Mike
This bike has fought me every inch of the way, The good news is I'm just about finished. The plater was right on what he told me as I looked inside the pipes and no chrome just flash rust. How that works is got me puzzled it seems if you dipped an item in the bath it would cover everything. I did some research and I believe it's all about how they position the electrodes that draw the metals to the part. When I pick up the tank I will see if he can explain it to me.
Mike

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »
Thought I'd extend this conversation a little bit.....

Ridered was curious about how the inside of the tank remained un-plated during the chroming process and whether there would be any contamination issues when completed.

Excuse me if I sound a little ignorant here, but what would be the problem with having the inside of the tank plated. If not with chrome but maybe some other corrision resistant metal? Wouldn't that solve rust problems in the future?

Is it a fuel compatibility issue, cost vs liquid liners or something else I'm just completely missing?  ???
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 01:18:57 PM »
i had a 175 tank re chromed they blocked the holes and filed it with a solution (water?) so it would sink in there baths but they didnt block up the breather hole in the fuel cap and it caused a run in the chrome finish on the cap .i think getting the inside chromed would come down to cost as they would have to clean the inside of the tank first .but maybe they could plate the inside with one of there first process's of copper or nickel zink?   

Gallery

Views:4688
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:5879
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6156
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:6162
Comments (0)