Author Topic: New Guy From Detroit  (Read 4656 times)

Brad Pitt

• Trade Count: (0)
New Guy From Detroit
« on: March 21, 2016, 03:28:39 PM »
Checking in from Detroit. My uncle learned to ride on this Rockford Taka (pictured below) that was purchased new by his uncle in the early 70s. It was ridden exclusively by my uncle in his teens and he managed to put on 394 miles thru the fields and forests of Northern Michigan before he moved onto larger motorcycles. It has sat ever since. I remember seeing it in his shed @15 years ago. Since then I began collecting and tinkering on old 2 strokes. Finally, last week, I asked him about that old taka he had. He eagerly met me at a storage unit, loaded it up in my f100 and asked me to get it going again.  Apparently some hack employee of his tried to get it going for him about 10 years ago. His skills are evident by the pneumatic tool valves cross-threaded unto the bung as a make-shift petcock. I can only imagine what other "fixes" i am going to find. 

The clutch feels roached, the release adjust screw is missing from the clutch arm/actuator along with the hardware (hope the release push screw isnt stripped too), and the kick starter clicks with pressure beyond hand kicking. It clicks and slips every few attempts if you kick with extreme care and every time under normal load.  Looking forward to learning, finding parts and getting this rare gem back on the road  Beyond the normal TLC (cleaning the rusted tank, replacing cables, tires, seat foam etc) I was looking for a TAKA manual. I know that it should be the same as the bridgestone manual, but going thru some of the bridgestone service and parts manuals  i am finding some subtle differences.

Anyone have or know where i can find a Taka specific Service/Shop manual ?

Anyone had the same or similar issue ? I have read elsewhere that the clutch and kicker were the bridgstone's achilles heal. Any suggestions or tips along the way would be greatly appeciated as i intend to start tearing into this thing as soon as i have a little more knowledge and a gameplan.  Thanks in advance and thanks for the resources of such a niche community and forum.

Offline srpackrat49

• Full Bridgestone Member
Re: New Guy From Detroit
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 03:50:43 PM »
I have that same bike ;D but with 816 miles on her......first off...they are only like that once!!! just take it apart..... clean it up... put it back on.... you don,t need a new seat... that ones fine....  but take the oil tank off  and clean the hell out of it... if you have a parts washer 8) this will all be a snap... when i got mine back togeather,,, ??? i had it up on the bike lift ::) turned the key on,,, hit the gas..... and then took hold of the kickstarter with my right hand,,, and gave her a push,,,, started right up... :D don,t get any nicer than that....  have fun!!!

Brad Pitt

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 04:06:48 PM »
@srpackrat. Thanks. Lets see a pic of yours. The seat foam has totally disintegrated. It is dust and is blowing out pinholes in the cover. Definitely needs attention. I cant wait for the day it starts by hand. It will be a long row to hoe.

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 04:10:41 PM »
http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?action=downloads
Manuals page. Taka parts and service manuals can be found here.
...bert

Brad Pitt

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 04:54:41 PM »
http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?action=downloads
Manuals page. Taka parts and service manuals can be found here.
...bert

Thanks Bert. Already looked there. Claims there is a taka service manual but when you open it, you find that its for the 60 and 80 cc minibikes. Not the 100cc taka.  There is a taka parts manual. It is very helpful

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »
Didn't mean to misdirect with my pointer. Glad you found the right stuff.
...bert

mqtsteve

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 07:01:11 AM »
Here's a Taka service manual that's on eBay.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Original-Taka-Dealer-Service-Manual-Rockford-Motors-Inc-802-/390858092534?nav=SEARCH

Good luck with your project, Steve (in the U.P.)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:23:18 AM by mqtsteve »

Offline disc_valve

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 05:57:22 AM »
Hi, Brad (?),

The Taka uses the same motor as the Bridgestone 100, which in turn was simply a BS90 Oil injection motor with a larger top end on it. The 90 Oil injection was simply an original Petroil mix 90 with an oil pump grafted on under the carb. Download the BS90 Service manual from this site (I think it's a Clymer manual that covers the BS50.60.90 and 175) and that will give you all the info you need to strip and examine your Taka motor.

The only difference was the carb - the Rockford bikes all had different carbs.

The kickstart problem sounds like a broken ratchet - that needs a full engine strip to get to kit, but the kickstart mechanism is pure BS90. The clutch lifter thread is common to all the disc-valve singles, from 50cc to 100cc and the 175./200 motors,  so there is plenty of scope for finding replacement parts to fix it.

Welcome to the world of BS.

Graham

paul

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 08:40:34 PM »
I'm curious about your Taka? Does it have a Made In Japan sticker somewhere on the frame? Welcome to Bridgestone  land. Enjoy your red and white Eagle.

Offline srpackrat49

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 10:13:20 PM »
First off.... ;D they are simpal to work on... :D as far as your kicker goes.... go there slowley... take the plug out... try to roll it threw ;D  same with the clutch... ya don,t need an IQ of 165 to work on this stuff.... its just stuff.....  but i,ve been working on them for over 50 years.... can dam near do it in my sleep.........

Gallery

Views:336
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1471
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1805
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1871
Comments (0)