Forum > 175 & 200 Talk

Clutch setting

(1/1)

dcX:
Hi All,
Please can someone share the correct clutch setting, what is the correct position for the 6 off M5 x 12 screws (that hold the set plate down):-
1. how far should these be screwed in & where is the measured from?
2. what prevents the screws unwinding as its not practical (that I can see) to balance the pressure on the set plate across all 6 screws, (a tab washer would prevent unwinding but there's nothing shown, similarly thread lock would work but would impede dis-assembly)?

Thanks
Dave

OldSwartout:
Those screws are tightened all the way until the set plate is against the posts on the pressure plate sticking through from the back side. I didn't see a torque value anywhere, but just nice and snug is my guide. Remember, they're only 5mm. I usually screw them in a few turns at a time working around the pattern to keep from overloading any single one as they're pulled down. I'm not sure it that has any value or not.

BRT-GTR:
   Re ;- Screw tightening - Agreed, it is good engineering practice to tighten any multiple screw, spring loaded assembly in stages. This avoids warpage and/or overloading of the assembly. It also applies to cylinder heads and crankcase screws, although these are not spring loaded.
     No screw locking device is required because the clutch springs acts a locking device, similar to those found on the adjusters on the carbs. I have never known a clutch screw come loose.
        Brian.

dcX:
Thanks Karl & Brian
Hopefully I'll get chance to give it a go this weekend
Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version