Author Topic: Bridgestone 90 sport kickstart is broken  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Marve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Registered Bridgestone Member
Bridgestone 90 sport kickstart is broken
« on: July 12, 2018, 02:48:21 PM »
Hi guys I am new to this forum so help me out. I just bought a Bridgestone 90 sport and it was sitting in a barn and the guy that I bought it from said it hadn't ran in 30 years and he didn't know what was wrong with it. It was his uncles and he had passed away. So I got to looking at it and noticed that the kickstart was broke clean off flush with the transmission case. I was wondering if u guys have any ideas without taking the whole transmission apart. I am only 15 and not very familiar with these. I will have pictures uploaded later today because I don’t have any right now and I’m not home.

Offline RayK

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Bridgestone 90 sport kickstart is broken
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 11:33:09 PM »
Marve
Yes you will have to take the transmission apart by splitting the crankcases. A job for an expert as you will neednew seals, bearings and gaskets. Also a replacement kick starter shaft (difficult to source, Richard Clark may have one).
Cheers
RayK
From Eastern Australia
BS 175DT, BS 50 Sport x 1, BS 90 Mountain x 3, BS 90 Deluxe, BS 90 Sport x1, BS 60 Sport, BS 90 Trail, BS100 Sport.

Offline Marve

• Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 08:43:01 AM »
Ok thanks

Offline Steve Swan

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:57:02 PM »
Ok thanks

Marve, do not become discouraged with what RayK said.  us old timers need young blood like yourd to keep preservation of these bikes in order and it is remarkable, in fact wonderful that you are interested in old bikes.  if old bikes are not in running condition they can be brought back to life with patience and time, and putting any spare change you have towards your project.  there is nothing you cannot learn through reading and asking questions, and do not worry about sounding foolish, every one of us starts out knowing as much or less than you know now.  YOU can become your own expert, there are plenty of people on this site willing to help a young fellow.  the only dumb question is the question unasked.  the first thing i would do is download a parts and service book and owner's manual off this site, then i would study them.  if there is nothing seriously wrong with the bike, and it has compression, spark and gas you can get it started without the kick starter.  all you need is a decent incline of sufficient length and as you roll it down hill pull in the clutch and put it in 1st or 2nd gear and let out the clutch.  once you get used to the bike, there's no reason why you can't push start it on flat ground.  men were pushing 500 cc motorcycles on flat ground in the running starts of all 500 GP races since the beginning of motorcycles up until 1984, so there's no reason to not be able to get your bike started assuming it has potential to run assuming all it needs is a points and/or carb cleaning.  just know a project like this is likely not a "dump in gas and ride" situation.  Take you time, ask questions, and at least have a general idea what you are going to do BEFORE you do it.  hang in there and stay with us!

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1363
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1693
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)