Author Topic: Clutch Release Arm Help Needed  (Read 5511 times)

Steve S.

• Trade Count: (0)
Clutch Release Arm Help Needed
« on: August 02, 2013, 07:36:24 PM »
Can someone tell me if the two clutch release arm pieces  should rotate independently of each other?  
They seem to have alot of "slop" in them, about 1/8".  It seems to be causing the spring to move to one side or the other (not staying centered on the arm)  and that is causing the clutch release pin to keep popping out!  
I'm not sure what to do.  Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.  I would like to get this cable working properly by the end of this weekend.  This just doesn't seem right the way this is designed.  There is nothing to keep the spring centered squarely at the top or at the bottom.  Am I missing something??
Thanks.

Steve S.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:38:32 PM by Steve S. »

Offline BS Mechanic

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Clutch Release Arm Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 09:14:43 PM »
If I'm interpreting your description correctly, no the two pieces are supposed stay together so they act as a single arm.  As I remember there's a spotweld or two where the two halves come together.  Also, I believe both halves have a double "D" hole and are staked in place on the screw section.  Sounds like something has come adrift on yours.

You may also need to bend the halves together a bit so one side or the other can't slip off the end of the cable end.

It's made in two parts so they can be sprung apart to get the cable end in between the two sides and then spring back in place on each side of the cable end.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:18:03 PM by BS Mechanic »

Steve S.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 09:40:41 PM »
Hi BS Mechanic,
Yes, you're understanding what I was asking completely.  Thanks for the response.  looks like I will have to disassemble the release arm and do what I have to do to take the slop out.  I will check the welds and the staked areas.
Let me ask you this......Does it look like I have everything assembled properly in this area, spring, arm, etc??  It just seems to me that the spring shouldn't just sit there like that.  It should have some sort of receptacle to hold the top and the bottom stationary?????
Thanks again.

Steve S.

Offline BS Mechanic

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:10:41 PM »
Steve, That's about as good as it gets with the spring.  Not a very elegant design, but I don't think it causes any trouble.

ziggy stardust

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:56:27 AM »

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 09:30:58 AM »
BS,   
 Haven't got as far as that on my bike yet but I remember the spring always did sit skewed. If mine does that, would now try slipping a suitable size washer/washers over the cable (if feasible) to sit either end of the spring, That may square it up. Not saying its physically possible but worth a try. Would be another small invisible improvement. Just thought, maybe cut a slot in a washer slide on to cable and try to close gap with pliers to keep it on.

Regards, Brian the Brit.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 09:41:07 AM »
  Sorry,  Previous post should have been headed    'STEVE S'    ( Did wonder why BS couldn't have sorted that one, I'll put you back on my 'recommended' list ;D)   Brian the Brit.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:54:57 PM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

reed

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 10:01:20 AM »
Steve,
I use a smaller OD spring i think it came off a Yamaha and it fits better in the release arm.
Thanks.
Steve Reed.

Steve S.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 01:27:33 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and help.  After removing the release arm mechanism I checked the spot welds that BS Mechanic mentioned.  There were 3 of them, they had indeed failed.  So...... I welded the two pieces together, putting a small bead across both edges (sorry I forgot to take a picture).  That took out all the slop and seems to have solved the problem! 
Thanks again!

Steve S.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »
Steve S,
             I see you've sorted it but to help others here's a picture of the offending article showing the staked end. Cant see any sign of the spot welds so they must be pretty small, maybe that's why it broke or the cross bar had slid to one side, as you say and all the torque was being applied to one arm. On mine the cross bar seems to be centred by the nipple outer  end.
For other newbies reading this, When pulling the cable end back into the cross bar, the two arms only need to be opened by a very small amount, say 1mm. If you force them open too much , that could also break the welds.   Steve S, Very nice looking engine , mine may look that good one day. Get some polish on that sprocket ;D
 Brian the Brit.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:59:30 PM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.

Steve S.

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 10:20:08 AM »
BRT-GTR,
Yes, the spot weld are there.  You have to hold the arm at the correct angle to see them.  They are barely visible, which makes sense why they failed.  I will get polishing on that sprocket right now!  LOL.

Thanks.

Steve S.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 07:11:10 PM »
 Steve S,
             Thanks,  I did eventually see them after getting the light right. There wasn't much current pushed through those welds and no doubt very little metal welded.
Brian the Brit
Unspoiled by progress.

Gallery

Views:1839
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:2926
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:3289
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:3327
Comments (0)