Author Topic: Anyone Have A Cure For......  (Read 5136 times)

Steve S.

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone Have A Cure For......
« on: September 20, 2014, 03:38:57 PM »
their speedometer not going all the way back down to zero?  Mine stops at 10MPH.  Any solutions?

Thanks.

Steve S.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Anyone Have A Cure For......
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 05:52:37 PM »
Steve S,
            I believe both clocks have a magnetic drive inside with a watch balance wheel, rotary type spring to return the needle to zero. So could be grease or debris between the plates of the magnetic drive or a weak or broken spring. There is another thread on the site which shows the internals but I can't find it at the moment, will post link if I do.
 Hope this provides a few clues, regards, Brian the Brit
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »
Hi Steve S,
                Found it, it relates to the Tachometer but there is probably a similar mechanism in the speedo.   Brian

http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?topic=797.0
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Steve S.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 10:22:28 AM »
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the reply.  I don't think that would be the problem as the speedometer is brand new NOS with less than 400 miles on it.  Looks like I might be breaking it open  to see what I can see.

Steve S.

ziggy stardust

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »
Steve, I had a similar problem on a Suzuki RE5 speedo, maybe the BS is the same? From what I can vaguely remember from reading somewhere is when the the speedo needle moves there is an oil dampener inside the hub that cushions it's forward or return movement. If the clock has been stored upside down the oil can weep out over the years and possibly give the problem you have. A sign of weeping is a stain just under the needle axis. Always store clocks the right way up.

I persevered with mine and it got better with use to resting at just over 0 mph which was acceptable. I'd give it more time knowing that RC still has NOS ones on the shelf.

Z

Steve S.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 03:59:56 PM »
Hi Z & Brian,
Took the speedometer apart and no oil weeping.  What I did find is the spring that puts tension on the needle was out of adjustment.  The end of the spring is attached to a tab that can be bent to provide either more or less tension on the spring.  The more tension you put on the spring the lower the needle drops.  The less tension the needle rises.  It's very very sensitive.  So I got it dialed in so the needle sets at zero when you are stopped.  Took it through a radar speed post in my neighborhood and the speed was within 2 mph.  Good enough.  I'm sure these speedometers were never more accurate than that to start with. 

Thanks.

Steve S.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 05:16:37 PM »
Hi Steve S,
                Sounds like a bit of a tricky adjustment there but looks like you got it right. We've all learned a little bit more here.  Now, can you put it back together. :D :D :D
Did you just prise the rolled flange up to get the top off?

Brian still the Brit.
Unspoiled by progress.

Steve S.

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 06:39:55 PM »
Yes.  Pryed it up a little at a time going around several times with a very small screwdriver.  Takes a lot of patience.

Steve S.

Offline disc_valve

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 07:53:12 AM »
Hi,

You can prise the rim off the speedo a bit at a time, but note that the 350 clocks use alloy rims, so they don't need too much force to bend them up, but it is quite easy to split the alloy in the process - take care. The clocks on the smaller Bridgestones have chromed steel rims, which are a bit harder to bend.

Graham

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »
Steve S / Graham, Thanks for the information. BS certainly didn't want us taking these apart. You do see ads for repairs to Sieki clocks but whether they are able to fit a new rim, I don't know. Yes the alloy rim is a bit soft and easily damaged.

Brian the Brit.
Unspoiled by progress.

Gallery

Views:5003
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6198
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6519
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:6557
Comments (0)