Author Topic: Bridgestone 100 GP cafe build  (Read 26472 times)

Rampelsauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Bridgestone 100 GP cafe build
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:15:50 PM »
Hey all, new to Bridgestones, really excited about the bike and its history.  Picked this thing out of a barn out in rural Wisconsin (will post pictures tomorrow).  I haven't had too much time to wrench on the bike, but I have pulled the tank, oil tank, and air box on the bike and am prepping them for primer.  I do believe some clubman or clip-on bars, a cafe seat, and a Gulf racing livery could make this little 100cc two smoker a real humm-dinger.  I will be doing some modification to the bike.  Im thinking about going with the controls from a Honda Rebel but Im open to any suggestions (high quality classic looking controls? let me know people.)  May be running different wheel/rubber packages, possibly a front end with a dual disc setup.  I will take the worlds two cents on what works, what doesn't, what people have tried, ect.  Right now its just the basics, strip it down, rebuild everything, do some paint, run it stock for a few minutes before I start swapping.  Thanks for reading, and I look forward to posting a bunch of stuff you guys already know. 

Rampelsauce

Re: Bridgestone 100 GP cafe build
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 12:45:41 PM »
Sorry about the delay on the photos.  Can anyone tell me if a race faring is available for the 100 GP?  Also, would it be possible to swap a BS 175 engine into my frame with out too many modifications?  Once I wrench on the bike a little more, I will be posting a few things for sale (fenders in good condition and possibly my 99cc engine after I rebuild it, ect.)  I will try to pull the bike out today and take a few photos while I dismantle it.  I do have the tank sandblasted, and Im contemplating cutting off the rubber pad...holders?  I dont know what you would call those pieces of metal welded to either side of the tank that hold the rubber pads.  Anyhow, I may cut them off for more of a "racer" tank look.  Im going to talk to the body work guy at my shop today and see what he thinks.  I am at work currently, so I have to go back to selling some bikes. 

e30trevor

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 01:00:27 PM »
I bought this bike! Build pictures will be up soon,
and Zach, I may be calling you soon with help with some things. Noobsauce right herrr.

motzingg

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »
and this bike gets another home.... hopefully i can finally pull everyone's efforts together here and make something of it.

got a lot of it together so far, still missing a lot of parts. mocking up all the parts right now to see what is missing, what gets ditched, and what to keep.

anybody have a carb cover out there laying around?

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 03:36:51 PM »
Wow.......... you guys sure that's a Bridgestone and not a Hot Potato !  :o
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

motzingg

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 04:56:05 PM »
yeah this poor little girl has had a tough life. some of the gnarliest farmer-mechanic-ing i've ever seen, looks like it was kept alive just enough to be flogged mercilessly riding through cow shit, a sloppy tear-down with lots of missing parts, tons of fasteners stripped out and broken off... two seperate bad paint jobs, one a ghastly rattle can blue, and the most recent one black rattle can over rust and dirt. I can tell the previous two owners made a good effort at restoring it, but fell a bit short of the mark.

for now the plan is to get it together and get it running/riding, then go from there fixing whatever needs it. first order of business is a lot of cleaning and sorting, replacing a ton of fasteners, new controls, cables, wiring, pipe... yikes. I'll shoot some pics after work and post them up.

motzingg

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 12:32:16 PM »
So I guess, this is going to be the build thread. I suppose it is appropriate since the 'build' was started a few years ago by these dudes. Not sure that the finished product will be a 'cafe' bike, but I'll probably ride it to Fuel Cafe pretty often.

So, since everyone is impatient, this is how it sits now, in my very overcrowded and chaotic garage. I'm putting everything together (finger tight) so i can find out what parts are missing, and what is broken or needs attention.

The first night I had time to work on it, I spent a couple hours sorting out the forks. The guy i bought it from (trevor, above) had put some of it together to make it more presentable for sale, or maybe just so it would take up less room. The forks were installed completely bass-ackwards, with the springs between the triple trees, rather than below them. The fork ears were painted very poorly and need some love with a ball-peen as they have been crashed pretty bad.

This is (pretty much) how i received her:

I took everything off, down to the frame, and started putting it back together the correct way. Turns out moped wheel bearings are a direct fit for the steering neck, so I scrounged up a handful of those, cleaned them up, and re-installed everything with good grease. I pieced together the correct combination of fasteners to install the steering bearings, and figured out that some of the parts that had been used to install the neck, were actually spring perches for the fork springs. I cleaned up the forks a little bit, but those will have to be disassembled and new seals fitted, plus one of the welded-on perches for the front fender was broken off, tearing a hole out of the fork tube. Probably was rusted in and someone applied a bit too much gusto, tearing it out.

For the short term, i'll just machine a perch threaded for m6 and tig it back in, probably with the forks still assembled. A bit of scotch-brite and some brake cleaner should have these good enough to shoot some OEM silver, and i'll ride them until fork oil starts coming out somewhere.

So after the first night, it was sitting like this:

The tank and seat are just sitting on there, but i was super amped to find all the hardware for mounting the seat and tank, along with TANK RUBBERS which never seem to be attached to these old bikes. They are pretty hammered though so i'll probably machine some Nylon or use my favorite trick of pressing together some slices of hoses.

The missing parts list is growing today, but so far less than $100. Most of the stuff that i need is generic/honda C70 stuff, which i can source from china via http://dratv.com A lot of the other stuff (controls, bars, cables) i'll be using moped junk of which i have piles and piles.

In other good news, i finally got this stupid C70 running last night. Still needs the main jet changed, but the 22mm china kehin clone carb that i slapped on here has really woken up this little dude. Anyone want to buy a ratty hotrod c70 for $700?

motzingg

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 10:05:38 AM »
Ok, i'm loosing my crackers here, i cant figure out what orientation the footpegs are supposed to go on this thing. There are two pegs, two sides and two possible positions for each side. giving me four orientations possible. Two of those orientations result in the peg folding down (the wrong direction) and the other two have it going at weird angles.

does anyone with a tube frame 100 think they could take a picture for me.

does anyone read this forum?

thanks
graham

Offline disc_valve

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 11:25:57 AM »
Hi, Graham (I)

Just a thought - have you tried swapping your footpegs over left to right? I've got a 100TMX and don't remember having any problem with the footpeg fitting when I rebuilt it (see photo in the gallery section).  One other possibility is that someone has fitted a 175 or 350 peg - they look similar but the "key slot" in the fitting is at a different angle. I tripped over that one when I replated some new "350" footpegs and discovered they were actuiallt 175 pegs and were at a really wierd angle when attached to me GTR. The correcr 100 pegs should fold up and slightly rearwards.

Hope that helps,

Graham (II)

Offline Jeff Bar

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »
Graham (I):  This thread has been viewed over 300 times, so I guess someone in reading it indeed ;D Jeff

subrew

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 01:01:23 PM »
Couple of quick questions:

Are you still planning on doing a cafe' type build?

Or are you going to bring it back to stock level?

Either way, it seems as if (based on the pictures) you are months away from needing to care at all about footpeg orientation.  Especially if you are going to continue down the path of a cafe' build.  You'll likely be building custom pegs and brake/shifter linkages anyways.

Chris H.

Offline disc_valve

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »
Hi again , Graham (I).

I've dug out a couple of "before" and "after" pics of that part of my TMX which might help. On closer inspection of my TMX, the fixed part of the Left footrest hanger angles forward at about 45 degrees, whilst the fixed part of the right hanger is only about 10 degrees off vertical - so the two rests are definitely asymmetric. Both footrest pivots are set to fold the peg back at around 30 degrees from vertical - you can just about see that in the pics.

Good luck

Graham (II) Weeks

motzingg

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »
Awesome awesome, it looks like i'm Graham 2 on this forum. It must have just been a slow week, or perhaps more people check over the weekend. I didn't mean to sound snotty, this looks like a great forum and i'm psyched to have some help.

Thanks so much Graham W for the help and pictures, they are a huge help. I tried the pegs in every orientation possible and I'm not sure if they looked like yours, but i'll try it again when i get home tonight. The orientation that made the most sense to me had the right peg almost contacting the kickstarter, which didn't look right, i flipped them back and forth, side to side about 6 or 7 times. Its possible that they are from the 175 or something, short of them being 'wrong' i cant exactly tell how they are wrong.

Either way, i'm hoping to get this together pretty quickly. I'm having a son on friday, so my free time might dry up for a bit. The parts order from Beatrice Cycle should come in early this week, then I'll have everything i need to finish assembly. Tank still needs to be burned out with acid, a few parts need cleaning and sandblasting/repainting... that sort of thing. The seat pan needs a bit of attention, some patches welded in, and i'll have to throw together a quick and dirty wiring harness.

I disassembled the key switch today (key is long gone) and figured out how that is all wired up. The white wire thing is kindof throwing me off, so i'll probably just use that for an 'always on' tail light, and use the yellow to power the battery via the stock rectifier, or perhaps just throw a generic regulator/rectifier unit on there.

As far as making it a 'cafe' racer... i'm not sure what direction its going to take. By leaving off a lot of the screwed up parts, ditching the air cleaner, side panel, that kinda stuff, it will probably take on a bit of a chopped down look, but i wont be making any major changes for right now. The triple tree will be drilled out later this week so i can fit some 7/8" bars- mostly so i can use standard controls and such. I really love the stock saddle and tank so those are staying for sure.

The bad news being that i got busted by my girlfriend- i told her it was a moped that i was going to fix up and sell, the good news being that she absolutely loves the bike and told me i should keep it, so it will probably be set up mostly stock for taking nice leisurely cruises in the country side. I already have a CB100 'money pit' cafe racer that is set up with a single seat, rear sets, and clubmini's, so this one will have to keep the rear pegs and standard foot placement.

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 03:18:59 PM »
congratulations on your son we had a baby girl last year between work the wife and the bubs there is not a lot of time for the bikes cheers.

motzingg

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 02:43:58 PM »
moving right along then, last night i started making lists. exciting!

First i came up with a list of things to sandblast and repaint with the OEM silver.

Head light bucket
Fork ears
top triple tree
front fender brackets
tail light/bracket (might end up black)

Then in the machine shop
machine top triple tree clamp for 7/8" bars
tig weld headlight bucket 'nut' back in place (weld both sides)

finally
rewire tail light with 3 conductor 20 ga wire

motzingg

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 04:51:10 PM »
Exciting day yesterday, been busy this week at work and home, but finally had some time last night to start checking things off the list

did pretty good, i'd say. had a couple hours of down time at work so i took this

sandblasted it

fixed the weld-nut on the headlight bucket

(in my defense the metal around the nut was jagged and rusted when i started, hence why the weld looks like crap. beat it back into shape as much as possible with a hammer, but i dont really care that much)

If you weren't sure if this was going to be a show bike or not...

It most definitely will not...

Like i say 'show bike' means a bike you build for someone else.

Anybody jealous of this?

so thats about that, didn't take a picture of the reaming out the handlebar clamps, but you get the picture. 7/8" was a lot bigger than they were. i clamped a washer in one side of the clamps so when i machined it round, it would have a little room to clamp down. uh. thats about it.

i figured out the foot pegs.. now my brake pedal sits about 3" above the peg and about 2 inches in front of it... it was probably crashed and mangled at some point, had me thrown way off. either way its lookin' good. Probably would have gotten a better looking paint job with flat black, but i like how the OEM silver looks and it gives the bike that little bit of '60's dorkiness that makes it cool.

I'm missing one of the special foot-peg fold up bolt/pin thingies. My parts should be in tonight, once i get all that stuff laid out, i'll take the forks apart again, weld in the fender mount strut thingy, and get them sanded down and painted.

Busy busy busy.

motzingg

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 04:54:30 PM »
oh yeah, the chrome on the bottom of the tank is pretty flakey. rusted down to the metal, then sanded by someone else so there are lots of chunks out of it.

what do you guys think, should i run it like it is, try to clean up the rust and clear-coat the bare metal, or paint the whole tank? I do like the 'brit racing' green and creme color scheme on the other bike. I'd do cream and blue or white and blue if i did do paint. Hmm... i can worry about that all later.

Offline old smokey

Bridgestone 100 GP cafe build
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 09:46:23 PM »
I'd probably make the tank functional to get a few miles on it first and consider a paint job later.
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

motzingg

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 09:57:01 PM »
yeah of course, just like everything else that doesn't need attention but could use it on this bike, i'll get everything together first.

have some down time in the hospital right now, gave birth to a healthy baby boy. woohoo!

also, the shift lever came in on... tuesday, wednesday? and its a perfect fit! Plus it looks trick as hell. Bonus.

http://dratv.stores.yahoo.net/alshlexrxrcr.html

We'll be in the hospital until monday but next week i've got the week off work to take care of baby and mom. I'm sure both will be sleeping at the same time every now-and-then and i can duck out to the garage.

motzingg

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 11:15:57 AM »
Just a quick update with some more progress. Got some of the missing hardware together, going to get more later this evening.

Got dimensions for a few parts i'll be needing. I'll probably have all the fasteners to put the engine back together tonight and i'll take it all apart and re-assemble

getting about 3 hours of sleep a night. also back to work, so progress has understandably slowed.

Gallery

Views:4986
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6187
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6491
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:6525
Comments (0)