Author Topic: It be stuck.....  (Read 19330 times)

ColoStone

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: It be stuck.....
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 06:43:17 PM »
Great ! I will let you know, will or should I go further into the engine if the crank turns out looking clean ? should  I go to getting the bike running or not waste time and do a full restor on the engine its only at 4500 miles ?

Thanks Randy

reed

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »
Colostone
If it turns over and looks clean inside with that low miles you will be all right!
Thanks.
Reed.

ColoStone

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 04:06:50 PM »
It be stuck no-mo  :o ! I was able to coach the right cylinder off today using the methods and advice of you good people , I needed to come up with a method of sucking up the space in the cylinder as the piston moved downward so the crank would not run out of travel. Needing something that can change with the gap I came up with using Popsicle Sticks my wife uses to label plants in the garden,( yes she was pissed )but it worked real well adding more sticks as the piston moved down. The cylinder looks just great with no pits scars , or any damage at all . Now should I mike the cylinder ? get new rings ? and I need some advice on the left cylinder, I gave it a whirl but it does not seem to want to budge at all  >:( Here is some pics and I will add the rest in my gallery.
    Thanks again for all the help
                        Randy  

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:31:29 PM by ColoStone »

reed

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 08:21:02 PM »
Colostone
Good job! getting that cylinder off on the right side so i would take off the piston etc.
And i would check the cylinder and if its OK put new piston and rings on.
You can get the pistons and rings from Richard at a good price.
On the left side you have to work at it to get that cylinder off!
Usually wants the crankshaft moves and you have one cylinder off it wont be long
Before the other side will move and will be able to remove cylinder.
Thanks
Reed.

ColoStone

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 09:04:08 PM »
Thanks Reed , it sure felt good to get through one half of the stuck glitch, but it worry`s me about the left one :'(, I took a sponge  and cut two rounds to fit up the exhaust port saturated in PB Blaster to hopefully loosen up that side of the piston. Do you have any other tricks up your sleeves that I may use besides the hitting down on the piston ? I am making sure the crank has plenty of  travel so as not to put any impact on the crank assembly! Well let me know  :)
     Thanks
         Randy   

reed

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 09:15:23 PM »
Randy
Try CRC FREEZE-OFF SUPER PENETRANT i like the stuff it works for me!
Thanks.
Reed.

ColoStone

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 09:29:53 PM »
Thanks I will try to find some , maybe dry ice on the piston, and heat on the cylinder too  ???
    Thanks
       Randy

ColoStone

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 09:32:12 PM »
Ok I just looked up the stuff "? CRC FREEZE-OFF SUPER PENETRANT, thats great
   Thanks
       Randy

reed

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 09:37:16 PM »
Randy
Its hard to tell you what to do were not there it all works!
Like i said before just take your time.
Thanks.
Reed.

ColoStone

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 01:48:10 PM »
It Be Stuck No Mo II , well after a few weeks of delay I finally had a chance today to give it another try using CRC FREEZE-OFF SUPER PENETRANT ,Thanks Steve" and some sharp hits the piston began to move  :o
   The cylinder looks great  and with new pistons things should work fine. The crank looks fantastic as well as the wrist pins and needle bearings  and moves real smooth, I notice there is two notches on the crank for pinning the motor  ??? well when I get further down that road I will read more about setting the mechanical timing and most likely will need the timing bar and pin. Thanks to everyone that gave me the advice to get this far and will sure to call upon you again as I  move forward.
          Thanks
              Randy   

ColoStone

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 04:05:38 PM »
Here is a couple of pics of the cylinder task, plus while cleaning the right crank case cover I noticed a broken section/membrane where the oil fills in, this probably happened when the original owner shattered the kick start gear C, could anyone tell me if this is game over for the cover ? If so maybe Richard will have another  ???
                Thanks
                    Randy       

reed

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 09:31:24 PM »
Randy
On the cover at this stage of the game i would check to see if Richard had one!
Or a good used one.
Thanks.
Steve.

ColoStone

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 07:41:51 PM »
Well I revived good tidings in the post on Monday, A UPS of new /and some NOS parts from Richard, The head and cylinder gaskets some case and carb cover gaskets, a ignition key , and the cremda la`crem a Kick Start Gear boy what a sight  for sore eye`s for that part , Rich said it was his last one so now what does someone do when parts like that become unavailable ? I am sure glad my wife was home when the post got to the house because one of the neighbor hood bears has been seen taking UPS from some porches , and taking them down to the creek for further examination, or shall I say
to SHRED  the boxes open . to lose the gaskets to the bears teeth would be not to bad ,but if the Kick Start Gear ended up in the belly of the beast I would track him down and and cut him open alive with my skinning knife. Well I have plenty more to do before trying to start the GTR up for the first time and will keep posting on the progress
            Thanks
                Randy     

ridered

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 08:32:16 PM »
You also got real lucky getting the case as I tryed to get one several months back with no luck, I ended up doing alot of welding and grinding to repair mine. Good luck with your build looks like your on the right track.
Mike

reed

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 10:04:29 PM »
Randy
Looks like it wont be long before the GTR will be running!
Please send pictures of the bears it make a change to motorcycles.
Thanks.
PS we do not have bears in Wales.
Steve.

ColoStone

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 05:15:41 PM »
I will post some Pics of bears around the neighbor hood when I get a chance to scan them in , Ridered maybe the way it was worded through you off ,I recieved case Gaskets , not the case its self though that would have been a great thing if it were posible, I think I may be able to repair the broken area, could you or Steve check out the pic of the damage ? it is in a troth that looks like the oil is directed to the transmission side  first , do you guys think this damage is that big of a deal ? would not the oil make its way throughout the system anyway ?  ??? I just don`t know any help would help
             Thanks
                 Randy   

reed

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 10:10:14 PM »
Randy
If you could take more pictures from the other side of the case so we can see more!
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline fiction

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 03:27:10 PM »
hi i have just stripped my spare bottom end for spares   it had done a lot more damage than yours it had smashed both crankcases.    but inside was all shiney so i decided to use my kickstart gear on that shaft, but when i swapped it over the ratchet was far weaker  than my original shaft so i swapped it back, this shaft has a much more positive ratchet. cant see any differance maybe the tang bent slightly when it jammed. just thought id let you know
lance

Offline disc_valve

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »
Looking at the pics of your right hand case cover, it seems that the damage is in the area of the "oil catcher". The BS350 maintains a higher oil level in the main gearbox compared to the primary drive. It does this by having an oil catcher plate to catch oil thrown up by the large primary drive gear and drain that oil back into the main gearbox chamber. Some of the gearbox oil then drains back into the primary drive through holes in the crankcase wall. So long as the repair ensures that the oil thrown up by the primary drive gears can't drain straight back into the primary drive chamber, you should be OK.

For the same reason you should make sure to use the long gearbox drain plug. If you use a short BS90/175 plug, the gearbox and primary drive chamber levels wil equalise via their drain passages and leave the gear cluster short on oil.

Hope that makes sense!

Graham 

ridered

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »
Now that's an informative post. If it don't make sense to someone they can turn to page 19 figure 45 of the service manual and it will be clear as to what your saying. You cleared up 2 things that have struck me strange. When I saw FIG 45 I was wondering why the oil levels were not equalized and when I went to install the oil drain plug I was wondering why they made it so long. I personally pulled my motor apart 3 times to make sure I put it together correct as these motors really make you think when putting them together. The bikes were designed good but the service manual is pretty much useless. When you read for installation do the reverse of disassembly you know its going to be allot of thinking, I put mine together using the parts manual pictures as my engine was put together by someone who didn't have a clue it would of never ran the way it was put together.
Thanks for the info
Mike

Gallery

Views:5044
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6243
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6587
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson