Author Topic: WHAT TYPE MOTORCYCLES WHOULD BRIDGESTONE BE PRODUCING TODAY  (Read 7953 times)

reed

• Trade Count: (0)
WHAT TYPE MOTORCYCLES WHOULD BRIDGESTONE BE PRODUCING TODAY
« on: August 10, 2010, 10:39:20 PM »
What type of motorcycles would Bridgestone be producing today
If they were still going today!
Thanks.
Reed.

rocketman

Re: WHAT TYPE MOTORCYCLES WHOULD BRIDGESTONE BE PRODUCING TODAY
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 07:22:49 AM »
LOL...The Bad-Ass type! Do you think we can convince them to restart production? I've got some ideas for them. Mark.

Dave K

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 10:38:42 AM »
Reed, good question. I have no idea what a company would build. There is no shortage of the Harley or wanna be Harley bikes. The crotch rockets are still kind of strong in my area ( and I love them, but they don't love me). Tradional style bikes that kind of retro the 60's-80's are a great idea that fits me well, but doesn't seem to sell well. Touring bikes don't seem to be on everyones list like they were a few years ago. Off road bikes are so specialized and with land closures, getting harder and harder to use.  Just a hint of the bikes that I have or kept is the BS 175DT, a Honda '73 750 K3, as it was built by Honda and a '81 Goldwing with Vetter and Samsonite. Both of these  bikes bought new. I sold my Honda 600 CBR F4, not real long ago. Loved it, I could look at all day, just didn't work for me for a ride longer than 20miles. Sold the XR 350R in the past 5 yrs., because of land closures. What type of bike do you suggest or you would think would market well?

BSOrion

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 11:36:50 AM »
I would personally like to see more and better 70s and maybe some early 80s classics developed.  I'm not crazy about the Ducati classics, especially the newer ones but I do think that the Moto-Guzzi classic hit the mark.  I think Bridgestone could develop a classic of sorts; however, it might have to be done through the partnership with other engine and component manufacturers.  On the other hand, Suzuki re-invented itself and Kawasaki came into the game relatively late so why not Bridgestone?

Orion

Offline James14p

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 01:31:08 PM »
Unless they were to change their way of thinking (I would hope they wouldn't) the EPA would have done them in by now. Don't think there are any new 2 stroke street bikes left anymore. Style wise, I think there would still be a market for the 175/350 style of bike............Something to think about, The 350 with todays light weight frames, etc. Bet they could cut two thirds the weight off of it. Hmmmmmmmmm.

rocketman

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »
Let me interject this thought.To my knowledge,Bridgestones release of the post tohatsu influenced designs marked the first mass produced 2 stroke,valved engines to hit the world market. I am not aware of any other production 2 strokes at that time,that did not use standard piston port technology. This put Bridgestones new rotary valve sport line on the cutting edge,where they stayed until just before their production drawdown around '69. As the line filled out with the 175/200 twins and then the 350's,the designs were starting to become dated and reed valve technology was on the way. At the time of the lines demise the designers were already thinking once again far to the future. There is some scant info and possibly some photos floating around that gives a good indication of where they might have been going. It appears they were already heading toward the 4 stroke market for street and sport bikes. Talk of a v-4 ohc/dohc prototype. I believe Graham Weeks mentions this and at least one prototype was built. Bridgestone was already well aware of wieght concerns and used a lot of aluminum in their construction anyway. Along with their brilliant design and r&d departments,I can only imagine where they would have ended up. Where would we be now in the motorcycle industry as a whole? Bridgestone was copied and emulated by every other manufacturer of the day,in my opinion,so just think of the possibilities. I have strong opinions of reasons for the closure of the motorcycle division,(not just EPA),there's a great deal of controversy surrounding this issue. Another subject entirely. At the end of the day,we can only dream of what could have been. Mark (Look at Kotarojungle's pictures posted in the gallery,hmm).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:35:06 PM by rocketman »

reed

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 10:48:46 PM »
I think it would a three cylinder four stroke engine fuel injection something that could be map ed so you could put the engine in a trail
frame with less power more low down torque or a street version  with more power all done by changing the  fuel map and would be
Around about 650cc. And any problems it would have ob2 port so you would used a scanner to check for codes.
SPECIFICATIONS
Liquid- cooled 12 valves.
Fuel -injection transistor controlled ignition
Transmission six -speed final drive chain.
 adjustable.
Single shock discs 6 piston calipers
Fuel capacity 4.00 gal
Thanks.
Reed

reed

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 10:58:44 PM »

What do you think of a GTO 650cc three cylinder four stoke engine
in green .
Moonpup you may not want to read this!
ONLY JOKING.
Thanks.
Reed.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 11:05:57 PM »

What do you think of a GTO 650cc three cylinder four stoke engine
in green .
Moonpup you may not want to read this!
ONLY JOKING.
Thanks.
Reed.

I'd hate to think of where the 3rd upswept pipe would go!  :o
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline Gonzo

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 08:06:41 AM »
Graham's article mentions a prototype watercooled 400cc GTR that was actually built and ran. Mazda ended up with the rights to the engine, reduced it back down to 360cc and used it in one of their microcars. Graham refers to it as the Shanty, but after a bit of quick Googling I couldn't find any details on that name. However, in 1969 Mazda did produce a 23bhp watercooled twin cylinder 2T engine that they referred to as the "CC". That model designation does make it a little hard to search for detailed specifications of the CC such as whether it had disc valves or not, but according to Wikipedia it was fitted to some models of the Porter small delivery truck.

The 1969 date seems about right, and maybe it's just my imagination, but is that the gentle whistle of disc valves in that video? Perhaps I'm hearing something that just isn't there.

Graham says that there were also plans for a Bridgestone 1000cc DOHC 4-stroke transverse V4 shaft drive sportstourer in 1970. This never made it to the prototype stage, but presumably if they had persisted in building motorcycles, Bridgestone could have got it into production a year or two before the GoldWing (1975). Whether it would have been robust and reliable or not is another matter, but given the quality and attention to detail BS built into their 2Ts, one would have to put money on it being a good thing.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some references somewhere on the internet to Bridgestone planning a 500cc version of the GTR, which was the next logical step and could potentially have been similar in performance to a H1 Kawasaki, especially if it had been watercooled. I would imagine a H1 and a 500 GTR would have squared up in a very similar manner to the A7 and the 350; the Kawasaki a few kilos lighter and a few horsepower louder but with a peaky power delivery and wobbly handling, the Bridgestone heavier, not quite as fast or as powerful but with a well-sorted chassis and far higher build quality.

I've also seen references to a BS design for a 350cc 4-stroke transverse 4 cylinder (although I'm not sure where), which would probably have hit the showrooms at about the same time as the Honda CB350F. That would have been very interesting because it probably would have sparked a 350/4 performance war right through the 1970s.

If Bridgestone had successfully made the transition to building 4 strokes (which they would have had to have done, emissions legislation has ensured that road-going 2Ts are no more or at the most only occupying very narrow niche markets) and were still around today, I would imagine that they would be right up there holding their own with the other Japanese manufacturers and building the same sort of bikes. However, I think their build quality would probably be a bit better than the rest. Being better than Honda is a big call, but if Bridgestone could do it in the '60s (and they did), they could do it now.

Ultimately it is all just wishful thinking, but it is interesting nonetheless.

rocketman

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 09:34:15 AM »
One thing is quickly evident...there's no lack of imagination here. Maybe Bridgestone should hire us! At least Reed. How about beginning at the beginning again. What about a new scooter design? If its 48cc or under,it could be ridden in Md I know,and possibly some other states/countries with no registration. I'm not sure about this,but I believe a 2 stroke is still viable if 48cc or under. Maybe an "OILESS" 2 STROKE ?!?!  Lots of existing technology. Ceramics,etc. Guess who's already making them?  Bridgestones cousin,Tohatsu. 198cc oiless 2 stroke pump/commercial engine. Marine too I think.   Too cool!  Mark. (I will post a link to Tohatsu later,first one didn't work.)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:22:06 PM by rocketman »

rocketman

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »
 Two stroke bikes again? This is a link to a Tohatsu commercial pump. I've been lookin' around the net and have seen numbers something like 617cc on some of their commercial line,not sure on the marine stuff as far as number of cylinders and size. This pump shows a 198cc,single cylinder,air cooled,oiless 2 stroke engine. I don't know where the EPA is on these oiless engines,but I like the concept. Might make for interesting powerplants for a new retro styled line of bikes. I don't think the pump will do us much good,unless you can figure out how to hook it to the rear wheel! Try this link,   http://indonetwork.net/pt_saberindo_pacific/1165841/tohatsu-fire-pump-type-v20d2-v20d2s-jp.htm
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:52:56 PM by rocketman »

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »
I don't see anyone in that little Mazda car, who is running it? How do you say "Christine" in Japanese?

I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

reed

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 06:04:03 PM »
Toystoretom
It reminds me of the cars in the UK. I had a Honda 550 pickup with 2 cylinder's at one time google that!
Thanks.
Reed.

reed

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 06:18:26 PM »
Rocketman
All the Tohatsu marine engine are fourstroke the ones i work on are between 6 and 8 hp
and go on forever on a small amount of fuel they are as good as Honda if not better!
So the Tohatsu would make good engines for small motorcycles good power output
and good MPG .By the way they make 2 and 3 cylinder's engines with more hp.
Thanks.
Reed.

rocketman

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 07:15:49 PM »
Kill-r Reed! I don't proffess to know the ins and outs of all this new stuff,especially marine,I just really dig the idea of it! I particularly like your idea of the electronics we were discussing. Retro design body and "right now" technology...Can't loose! So,what are we waiting for,an invitation? Oh yeah,I guess so! Do you,or perhaps other members,know the particulars of these smaller 2 stroke Tohatsu's or similar manufacture? (standard reciprical?) 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:32:29 AM by rocketman »

reed

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 10:29:41 PM »
Rocketman
I like 2 stroke engines but i think its done to move forward its a fourstroke engine so if Bridgestone where going today it would be a
Fourstroke engine with a lot less weight with new materials  IE carbon fiber etc.
Thanks.
Reed.

rocketman

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
I agree Steve re: the 4 strokes for producton,just real curious re:the oiless 2 strokes. And all the modern technology is definitely what has brought the 4 strokes to the stage they are today. What a wonderful world it could be!  Mark.

Gallery

Views:1617
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:2719
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:3088
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:3124
Comments (0)