Author Topic: BS dreams...to reality  (Read 8106 times)

Kansas

• Trade Count: (0)
BS dreams...to reality
« on: April 03, 2015, 01:05:12 AM »
As a young child I would sit on the blue 90 and rev the engineless machine on many daredevil adventures, imagining what it would be like to ride with the wind in my face to see what was over the horizon.  I found the engine in pieces in a bucket in the garage attic and carried it to the BS, determined to rebuild it and bring her back to life.  I never did, but kept all the pieces together so that I would not lose any.  Many years later I discovered there is a second engine, a stock and a race engine.  I still know where all of the parts are.  I would still like to get her running some day.  I grew up on Honda's, the Bridgestones were no longer in production and a Honda dealership was in town.  On that Z50R, I rode the pastures and fields.  Nothing was better than when the county built up the roads and the ditches were flat and smooth with field entrance "jumps".  I moved from that 50 to a 125 Trail and on to the 250.  Dad was cautious enough to get rid of the 500 race bike before we could attempt to cruise the pastures at 70+mph.  Fast forward, my wife talked me in to buying a street bike about 13 years ago.  A Suzuki GS750L at a garage sell.  I had my doubts, but it did sound fun.  I rode it, fixed issues from it sitting too long, and parked it to make additional repairs after 10 years.  It is a great bike to ride.  While repairing it, I would find something else that would need attention and stop working on it for many months.  One day about two years ago, I told her about a Bridgestone 175 Dual Twin Hurricane Scrambler I wanted to bring home and work on.  She firmly stated, NO, when you get the bike you already have apart running, you can get another.  About 3 weeks ago the Suzuki came back to life.  She witnessed it, and the next morning I asked her if she heard the 750 run.  She said with a smile,  "I did, good work."  I replied, "good, I'm going to go get the Bridgestone" and then quoted her past statement.  After a short pause, and the look, she said, "I did say that." I pushed my luck and arrived that evening with the BS and the 50 of my childhood.  After a couple of days I had the Bridgestone running.  After another couple of days I felt the wind on my face as I lived out my childhood daredevil adventures.  Ok, maybe daredevil is a bit much. 

I have many questions and look forward to the vast amount of knowledge that you can assist me with.  I hope that I can help someone out as well. 

The 175 DT HS is a head turner and they all wave.  Maybe they just recognize me because I have only test rode around my neighborhood after making minor adjustments.  Nah, got to be the Bridgestone

ziggy stardust

Re: BS dreams...to reality
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 04:13:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum Kansas, quite a story there and I enjoyed reading it.

Z

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 11:14:54 AM »
I too enjoyed the read. I assume the story took place in Kansas (your handle gives that away). You'll find many members here who are bringing back their youth (me included). We are all willing to help.  All you have to do is ask.
...bert

Kansas

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 10:38:34 PM »
I have two boys who could ride The Z50R and are very excited.  My daughter has rode before and is big enough to ride the Bridgestone, but I'll try to start her out on the Honda 125 Trail.  It has a really low first gear that would allow her to get used to the size.  If I can get it running!

Ha, looks like I need to get used to posting.  Looks like I double posted.  While pretty much everybody I know is using Facebook, Twitter, and smart phones ,I am struggling with this forum!  Hard to believe I used to program IP based phone systems!

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 07:51:19 AM »
   Enjoyed your story and could share your excitement in achieving a boyhood dream. Great stuff. I'm trying to recapture being 19 again when I take the first ride on my GTR.
   Maybe your children will take good care of dads old bike and experience the same in 40 years time !!  Should be worth a fortune by then.
    Have posted some ideas on your overheating problem, good luck and keep us posted, Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »
I'm a computer engineer who does not have a facebook or twitter account either. To make matters worse I cannot seem to wean myself off my BlackBerry (2010 model), so you are in good company...a bunch of crazy BSers!  ;D
...bert

ziggy stardust

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 04:23:18 PM »
I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account either, I do have a four year old Samsung smart phone that I'm still learning on.   :-[

Good project there Jerry.

Z

Offline Mopar392

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 07:21:26 PM »
Kansas, your accidental 175 shot also revealed another treasured artifact, post a pic of the Bug...
Take Care...Lee

Kansas

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 10:38:02 PM »
I get a photo of the bug.  That is my wife's.  It took years before she would even let me drive it.  I made a trip to the boneyard today and rescued some items from the elements.  Most of it looks like it is too late, but it gives me a preview of what's inside.  I also found the right side battery cover and skid plate for the 175.

Kansas

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 10:39:39 PM »
The motors.

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 11:55:30 PM »
Just the start!...you should see my pile of 350 stuff. Probably enough to build another runner as well as restore my primary. As Davis says "save it all. somebody will be able to use it" (rough quote...;-)
...bert

Kansas

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 07:34:32 PM »
As requested.  The 73 Beetle.

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 07:56:01 PM »
I had a '69 Karman Ghia. Awesome driver. Ran it to death, but loved every second.
...bert

Offline Mopar392

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 08:04:04 PM »
Nice Ride Kansas...
Thanks,
Lee

Kansas

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 01:14:01 AM »
The new plan(since it runs), is to get the 175 cleaned up with all the original parts, and running properly, to the Tri-state Antique Engine and Thresher Show at the end of July. I do not plan to parade it, but would like to hunt for my kids on it!!!  The kids look forward to the show all year long.  It started for us with my great grandfather's tractor.  The tractor has been to 61 consecutive shows(would have been all 62, but he was unaware of the first show.)  The kids and I now show and parade the tractor.  My daughter is the 5th generation to drive it through the parade.  Ha, maybe I should enter the BS into the parade.  It would be the only motorcycle I can think of, and we could start a whole new line of classics!

I will keep you informed on the progress.  As I am sure you are aware, family (and honey do's) come before hobbies, and my progress has been slower than I would like.

Thank you again for the advice!!!!

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 11:23:30 AM »
Kansas, there is a thread for tractor related stuff here: http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?topic=3897.0
Please tell us more about the tractor and the show. As a kid I remember going to steam shows with my Dad. Thanks  ;D
...bert

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1691
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757