Author Topic: STICK IT TO FIBERGLASS  (Read 3719 times)

rocketman

• Trade Count: (0)
STICK IT TO FIBERGLASS
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:27:49 PM »
 I posted a couple pics of a fiberglass tank on another thread,(tank liner and chrome), Its got some chunks missing and some crushed areas that are soft. I glass beaded about 10 coats of paint and some old body filler away to reveal the usual cracked up nightmare you get with old fiberglass. I love this SEM  product for repairing the cracks and tagging the glass back together. Far less mess than resin and less swelling of the surrounding areas. Its a dual-mix cartridge system, and a little pricey, but it stretches a long way and is fast. Same company makes a low resin filler surfacer that swells less than fiberglass resins. Evercoat has some epoxy resin products in their line that are also second to none for filling and surfacing. Might help with any glass repairs you may get into. Thanks, Mark.

Steve S.

Re: STICK IT TO FIBERGLASS
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
Great information and tips!  Thanks Mark.

rocketman

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »
I thought I would post some pics of the fiberglass repairs to this Bultaco tank. Its been a side project. I try not to rush glass repairs anyway if at all possible, especially old dried up glass. The old glass tends to swell around new repairs due to the resins involved. Consequently, that's why I like the SEM product so well, it tends to cut down on the swelling when fixing the cracks. Its also great for reattaching broken out chunks when you have them and sands and feathers real nice too. Mark.

rocketman

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »
Tank needed two major areas of reconstruction at the neck where it mounts to the frame and a hole busted all the way through at the top. Then all the cracks were repaired with the SEM. Mark.

rocketman

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »
Finally the the tank was primed and blocked with urethane primer three times to insure everything was leveled and smooth.   Then sealed, two coats of base and two coats of clear. Done.  Mark.

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 02:39:13 PM »
Mark:  Thanks looks great. thanks for posting all the pictures and telling us how to do it.  What paint do you use, is it gasoline safe for spilling around filler  Tks Jeff Bar

rocketman

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 03:12:35 PM »
Hi Jeff. I'm pretty much a DuPont man. When they were forced to change their product line a few years ago, I started using an undercoat(primer)system produced by Evercoat called Uro Fill. I absolutely love it and its a simple two part 4:1 activation. You can also reduce it slightly if desired for final coating with no break down. Plus its cost effective considering its high quality. I use DuPont's urethane sealer Value Shade system and their Base color. The clear is a DuPont product that comes out of their Nason line called Selectclear(465-00). Another fantastic product. Very versatile and beautiful water white clear. Its a little more work with a 2:1/20% activation and reduction but that's what makes it so nice. You can play with the activation and the reduction ratios to make it perform however you need it to. You can slow it down, speed it up, go from a two coat to a three coat system with ease and again its a great cost effective system. For those who are unfamiliar with the Nason line, it was purchased by DuPont several years ago shortly before they acquired Spies Hecker, a European line. Nason was Fuller Obrians automotive industrial paint division and had a lot of great products which are even better now with DuPont consistency of manufacturing standards. As far as fuel resistance, most all higher end urethane/catalyzed clears are pretty durable as long as they have been sufficiently activated and are fully cured. I've never had a problem with any DuPont catalyzed clear but still recommend that spillages are cleaned up right away not left to sit on the finish. The newer alcohol induced garbage fuels are probably worse than the good old stuff. Still no complaints to date. Thanks, Mark.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:20:04 PM by rocketman »

Gallery

Views:4991
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6192
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6502
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:6536