Author Topic: Titles  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Toystoretom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Titles
« on: October 21, 2010, 10:51:38 PM »
I have a few bikes that have no titles but could be restored. Has anyone used a title service like Broadway Title to get a title? I live in Missouri and possibly there is a way to do an "Abandoned Vehicle on Property" process that will net a title but I haven't tried it. Other than that I guess I could buy a frame that has a title and swap parts to make a titled bike (if anyone has a 350 frame with a title and wants to sell it PM me).

It just seems a shame that there are so many bikes out there that essentially are just parts bikes because they have no title.

I think a lot of titles get lost due to probate estates going to auction and no one wanted to mess with it, they just want quick cash. Also, surprisingly, bikes are left at dealers for repair and never picked up. I am not a dealer therefore can't put a mechanic's lien on them. You do need signed repair orders and so on, so there is a paper trail the state can check. I'm sure some people just loose the titles and don't want to spend the $$$ to get the duplicate, in some states the taxes have to be current to do that and no one wants to pay 30 years of back property taxes to get a title on a $500 bike. I'm sure some bikes are stolen. Legally, who cares on a 1960's motorcycle. If a check of the VIN comes back clean, what can be done to prosecute a 30 year old theft? The perp is probably dead anyway.

Anyway, just curious what if anything can be done.

Tom
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

rocketman

Re: Titles
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 09:05:52 AM »
  Tom, contact a local,reputable title agency-not the state MVA. They should be able to assist you in several ways. Easiest is to find the last registered owner if there is one. A lot of smaller and trail/off road bikes were never titled or registered,making this impossible,but there are other ways. They will know.  Thanks,Mark.

ColoStone

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 07:06:35 PM »
Hi Tom . Outfits like "Broadway Title " is one that has been in the business for a long time and do a great job, but you will have to have the bike in road worthy condition for inspection and most states if not all have insurance. This is something I will have to go through if we can not find the paperwork on my 71 350 >:(. but it will be worth it for sure,and I am with you it does not seem right to lose so many bikes the the parts pile because of lack of paperwork
         Thanks
             Randy 

reed

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 09:36:21 PM »
Tom
I used Broadyway Title once on a Suzuki TS 250 i filled out the paperwork and they check it out
The paperwork came back nobody came to see the motorcycle i took the paperwork to the DMV
And i got a title for a 1973 TS 250 Suzuki all done.
Thanks.
Reed.

ColoStone

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:33:29 AM »
Hi Steve, when did you have this done ? because the laws have changed and the rules have been made more strict this year.
          Thanks
              Randy
                P.S could you send me an email on what you need to rebuild both my carbs , and not to say my oil pump is rotten but can you rework them too
           Thanks Again
               Randy

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 12:17:41 PM »
I may try Broadway Title. Their website is still up and they have a list of things that need to be done but it sounds like they can still get it done. A little pricey though, about $400.

There is a local title company I am going to talk to, at this point I have no idea if or how they handle things.
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

reed

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 09:18:10 PM »
Hi Randy
I used Broadway Title in 09 and the cost was 150.00.
The oil pump i would replace for a new one the cost
Is 50.00 and you can get it from Richard on my
Engine and Richards i am replacing the oil pumps.
Peace of mind.
Thanks.
Steve.

ColoStone

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 07:55:16 PM »
Amen Reed,  thats peanuts for peace of mind and that is not a bad price for title work
         Thanks
             Randy

Gallery

Views:677
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1759
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:2140
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson